Skip to content
In association with
By MCN -
14 May 2012 17:39
You ride a motorcycle and your child has asked if they can ride one too. Were you looking forward to this day? Is it hypocritical to say no? What would you say?
Upload stories, photos or videos direct to the site, or email email@example.com.
Or call us on 01733 468842 (+44 1733 468842)
Add your comment – Poll: Would you let your child ride a motorcycle?
Sign in You must be signed in to submit a comment.
21 May 2012 17:03
would i ??
WOW! there lies the question i'm dreading. If he wants to yes, with proper training, and me following behind for, porbably the first couple of years !! lol !!
My old friend "Sleepless nights" here i come again.
21 May 2012 12:44
No brats here (whew!), but for street riding I would let them out on something like a Honda CRF230M or Suzuki TU250X (our choices in small street bikes in the US are very limited compared to what is available in Europe). Enough power to not always be in the way of cagers, but not so much that being stupid would get them killed right away.
There are all too many spoiled teenage brats here that mommy and daddy buy a super-sport or ever super-bike class moto; but then, thinning the herd of these may not be a bad thing. (No graduated licensing in much of the US - where I live you can take your test on a old 80cc Honda Elite, then legally ride off on a ‘Busa).
20 May 2012 09:15
I would let my son decide, he is 16 next month and mad about bikes. But then again bikes run in the family, my Dad and my Grandad right back to 1920. I've been on bikes for 40 years now but I would let my son know the facts before he decides if he wants a bike:
1. The UK police are useless, inept and don't care.
2. The NHS will kill you easily or make your injuries far worse after an accident.
3. The insurance companies will do everything they can not to pay out and not have your injuries diagnosed properly or even at all.
4. There are too many people on the road without a license.
5. There are too many people on the road who shouldn't have a license.
6. Road conditions are so shit you often need a works MotoXer rather than a normal street bike.
7. You will be treated with rank prejudice or like a martian because you ride a bike at most places where you go.
8. Someone will knock you off your bike at some time.
The good things are evident and thats why I still ride.. As someone else said on here, we were the original tarmac terrorists and yes we rode like complete and utter twats !!
Biker for life.
19 May 2012 10:09
From the Hull Daily Mail today.
19 May 2012 09:10
Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy
Compare and buy 100s of bargain priced products for you and your bike
Motorcycle Cover | Cheap Motorcycle Insurance | Moped Insurance | Scooter Insurance | 125 Insurance | Work Experience