Touring advice: 10 ways to prep your bike for touring
Touring & travel
29 May 2009 16:52
10 Ways to prep your bike for touring
• Ensure tyre pressures are as recommended in the owner’s handbook.
• Set the suspension for the correct weight according to the handbook.
• Check the tread on both tyres, particularly the rear.
• Don’t overload your bike; check the manual for the maximum weight.
• Put your heaviest items as near the centre as possible.
• Balance luggage as evenly as you can to keep handling neutral.
• Make sure the widest part of the luggage is no wider than the mirrors.
• Speak to a dealer about recommending the most appropriate luggage.
• Take the fully-laden bike for a test ride to get a feel for the extra size and weight.
• Take a spare key for your hard-luggage.