Legal advice: what to do if you have an accident in France

By Chris Dabbs -

Touring & travel

 26 March 2010 16:49

If you have had the misfortune to be involved in an accident in another EU member state like France and the foreign driver is blaming you and your insurer isn’t pursuing it hard, there are still steps you can take.

If an English domiciled biker is injured in France by a French driver then as long as the French driver’s motor insurer is domiciled in an EC Member State the English (or Welsh!) biker can sue the motor insurer directly in the English courts. 

It obviously follows that English and Welsh solicitors can act. Note it must be the insurer rather than the French driver which is the named defendant. You can ask your insurer to instruct a firm of solicitors to pursue this properly for you.