You are in... Forums > General > General > Time for a change

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

hotspur

Apr 06

hotspur says:

Time for a change

After a few years on sports bikes (currently cbr600 rr) I feel it's time to live life in the slower lane. Kinda going in two directions: either a modern naked street bike; or cruiser-type machine, but probably erring towards the former. Love the look of the Yam Mt 03. Also quite like the new GSR 600 and KTM 990 duke. As far as cruisers go, maybe a Harley (I know!) or jap equivelant. Even a Triumph? Anyone done anything similar and made the switch and could recommend (or not) any particular bikes? :)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 9 years ago (07 April 2006 08:10)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bigbadmad

Oct 04

bigbadmad says:

Greenpro

You talking about those Guzzi's reminds me of a similar experience I had coming back from Lincoln the day I binned my Zed. I was really enjoying the road I was on and I was "making progress" zipping past the occasional car on the road. I thought I was going pretty fast but I got a hell of a shock. I came up behind a car, waited for a good spot to overtake him, dropped a gear and cracked the throttle open. Now the Zed's a reasonably fast bike and I zipped past the car like it was standing still, just at that moment I realised a bike was going around me on the outside. It in it's turn made me look like I was standing still. My chin nearly hit the tank as I realised it was a cruiser! He dissappeared into the distance at a rate of knots. The last thing I saw of him was him cranked right over into a right hander with no sign of breaking at all on the way in. I had no idea cruisers could be ridden like that and I was amazed by the riders skill. Reading your post I'm now wondering if it was a Guzzi that humbled me that day....

Reply to this Topic
reccon

Aug 02

reccon says:

hows about

new speed triple?

Reply to this Topic
motoraca

Aug 02

motoraca says:

mt03

mt03 looks nice and will slow yu down , i had old szr 660 (same engine),was a great bike ,reliable and great fun ,why change bike though ,just slow down ,sports bikes can go normal limits and offer great handling,a very important safety feature,new bonny would tempt me personally,point is yu can get done for speading on a moped just as much as an r1, its all down to the rider at end of day ,good luck with ya choice tho...and enjoy lol

Reply to this Topic
Sgt Bilko

May 03

Sgt Bilko says:

... Suzuki GSR600 is a lovely machine. Real smooth, relaxed riding position but that seat is a real pain in the arse. Might just be me but I've found nothing, and I mean nothing to beat the comfort of my Tmax... Mollycoggled me? :-)

Reply to this Topic
homer75

Feb 03

homer75 says:

RE: Time for a change

I opted for a new TDM 900. Not exactly what you're looking for but the point is I'm glad I made the switch. I was needing to spend to much time at too high a speed to get a grin. My CBR600F was great but didn't make me smile like it used to. The TDM has been a breath of fresh air after years of very capable (if common) sports bikes. It sits all day at 60 - 90 and I'm not aching to get off after 8 hours in the saddle. Even managed to show up a ZX10 and Tuono in the twisties while I was still running it in. I'm not really helping am I, just gloating! Whatever you plump for, take a long test ride before you decide.

Reply to this Topic
hotspur

Apr 06

hotspur says:

Many thanks

for all the comments recommendations - that's exactly what I wanted and has given me much food for thought. Just to reiterate, I was looking to change bikes not because I was banzaing every corner (although of course that's always a temptation) but mainly because of the comfort factor. Even adding bar risers, etc, I don't think would be the ultimate solution. Moreover, I wanted to do more long distance stuff, which is patently not possible (for me anyway) on a sports bike. Not in a hurry to make a hasty and thus bad decision, so plan to get as many test rides as possible on a wide variety of bikes. Will let you know what I get when I get it. Cheers!

Reply to this Topic
robc990

Nov 04

robc990 says:

Own up

Come on own up you just want a new bike don't you??????????????

Reply to this Topic
rbaynton

May 06

rbaynton says:

Don't touch the Harley!

May 06

As a rider of many (!) years I have only recently taken the Harley route and can only say that it was a BIG mistake.

I use a scooter for every day work, a 200cc Vespa. Inevitably things occasionaly go wrong with it. When they do, my local dealer usually has the parts in stock or can get them within a few days. He always provides me with a courtesy bike to keep me mobile. I have had similar experience with the main Japanese / Triumph dealer here in Bristol.

I took the plunge and after some deliberation - much like you invested nearly £10,000 on a brand spanking new Harley Super Glide which arrived on 1st March. After just ove 2 weeks it wouldn't start and this was diagnosed as a problem with the flywheel ring gear - a shame but these things happen.

Since then it has resided at the Bristol Harley dealer, Riders of Bristol. Firstly they have been unable to get the parts from Harley (this is really significant since all the 'big' Harleys have the same engines and thus the same parts). They are now saying that it will be at least the end of the month before these arrive (and, of course I believe that !)

Riders of Bristol are 'unable' to provide me with a loan bike (this is how much customer care you get from them), as a result, having spent a near 5 figure sum on a new bike I am without one for at least seven weeks and my guess is a lot more.

In summary therefore, get a cruiser they are great. Don't get a Harley because the supply of spares is terrible. If you DO decide to get a Harley make sure that you get guarantees from your dealer that in the event of a breakdown they will be able to keep you on the road with SOMETHING, even if its just an old banger of a 250,(unlike Riders of Bristol ).

So its a big HI. to everyone and I hope you are enjoying the great riding weather we have had recently - I only wish that I could be out there with you!

Reply to this Topic
seriousmischief

Jul 05

traded my

gixer 600 in last year and went for the speed triple 1050...haven't looked back since. totally mental, enough grunt for almost anyone, phenomenal acceleration, great look (in my opinion anyway). on the down side anythin over a ton makes for building up extrememly strong forearms lol!!

also the pillion seat is a bit small (if u ever take pillions that is) and you can't use panniers on it....had to buy a tankbag for this yrs TT.

did think about a superduke but the rubbish tank range put me off..they've fixed that for this year tho with a bigger tank capacity...my advice...take a test ride

Reply to this Topic
PIPEMAN

Aug 02

PIPEMAN says:

the varadero

does around 10--12 miles to £1 of fuel(depends on price),,does NOT shred rear tyres and nacker up chains/sprockets etc,,,what is it with these bike mag journos,,if it aint a crotch rocket they slag em off,,twats!!!it is tall,heavy,odd lookin,,,but hey,,it gets you around fairly quickly,,with all the luggage you need,two up and in comfort,,,love mine,,,,

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle