Skip to content

Ask an Expert Touring Europe This April / May Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Touring Europe This April / May

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bigcris

Aug 04

bigcris says:

Touring Europe This April / May

Does anyone know of a guide books / decent routes that cover europe? Myself and a mate are planning a long weekend trip abroad (6 / 7days). Never toured on a bike but fancy going to France / Spain / Itlay area. Any suggestions / routes / areas we should visit we would gladly take on board Many thanks from a couple of touring virgins!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 10 years ago (04 January 2005 12:55)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Zebd

Jan 04

Zebd says:

suggestions

Guide-Lonely Planet France or Spain etc also Berlitz phrase book (small and cheap but very good) France -truly exceptional places:- Gorge du Verdon (don't fall off) Ardeche (go Kayaking) Mont St Michel (get there very early in day) Roccamadour (truly, truly, truly amazing) then go down to Pyrenees (still have snow then, but roads OK), practice your serious cornering technique! don't bother with Andorra Town (let down) through Caldi Tunnel (@5Km) and enjoy Catalunyan Roads (Berga is Handy town to stay). Be warned they speak Catalan (not Spanish) outside of big cities such as Barcelona. Alternatively, go on one our holiday tours! Enjoy yourself Zebd

Reply to this Topic
DavidCushman

Dec 02

DavidCushman says:

I'd recommend you book

Your ferry crossing before the end of the month. P&O is offering 55% off its usual brochure price for bikes and passengers using the Dover-Calais route. See MCN Extra/Promotions for details

Reply to this Topic
thesanguine

Aug 02

thesanguine says:

Speedferries.com

£50 return at the mo. I deon't know how that compares with P&O

Reply to this Topic
philthewindsurfer

Aug 02

I agree with Zebd

Through the Pyrenees to Spain is amazing. Like he said don't bother with Andorra town as its one big traffic jam. But the roads around Andorra are good. I used to work as a canoeing instructor in the Ardeche and the road up through the Gorge is a cracker I seem to remember, although it was 20 years ago. The river will have plenty of water in it at that time of year. I was even thinking of going there after Monza WSB in May. If you look at Michelin maps, the roads with the scenic routes all have a green line down the side which should help you avoid the dull bits. I have found that the hotels in the smaller towns are more friendly and better value than the major chain type hotels you find in the bigger towns. Have fun.

Reply to this Topic
philthewindsurfer

Aug 02

eh?

the word c-r-a-c-k-e-r- has been edited to ******* by the friendly MCN internet firewall!

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

Travelling Europe

Don't bother going through the middle of Andorra??? and miss all of the motorcycle shops are you kidding!!!,book into the Ibis and spend a day shopping,the other point no one has mentioned,don't climb to high in the mountains most of the high pass's will still be unpassable with snow,at that time of year.

Reply to this Topic
simmy

Aug 02

simmy says:

Touring Europe

Got fed up with France as most of the north is pretty boring, although the Ardeche and Massif Central down to the Pyrenees have some special roads. Me and 3 mates now travel to Spain every year for a week via Brittany Ferries from Plymouth to Santander, crossing is now only 18 hours on new boat-cuts out a thousand miles each way leaving superb roads in Spain. Look for green highlights on the roads on the maps, these usually mean top roads. Stay in cheaper "Hostels", rooms can be had for £20 per night in smaller towns and most Spanish love bikes. You must ride the Rhonda to Marbella road and go play on Gibraltar. Also, brilliant roads dotted around Avila and inland from Benidorm if you want to be near th tourist areas.

Reply to this Topic
eddysfatnephew

Jan 05

france, spain & italy

I've no idea how many times I've toured this part of the world, and the truth is you can't go wrong. Don't bother with motorcycle specific guide books you'll get all you need from the Rough Guide or Lonely Planet series. They'll tell you where to go, and picking the route to get there is easy. Don't plan too rigidly because you'll lose the flexibility to stop and enjoy things you come across. If you're going for the good roads, don't waste time in Northern or South Western France, where it's flat and dull and you can spend all day driving in straight lines. I like the longer crossings out of England that miss out a huge chunk of Northern France. Dieppe, Caen and Le Havre are good places to start your tour. The further South and East you get in France, the better the roads. You'll have no problem planning a route because the twisty roads are easy to spot in an atlas. Don't avoid the smallest roads, they are often surprisingly well surfaced and wide, but watch out for the strings of villages; no sooner have you got some speed and rhythm than you roll into the next one. If it were my choice, I'd recommend the Pyrenees, continuing into Spain, but with a warning about the weather. It rains a lot on the French side, but the road through Andorra and on towards Barcelona is the best I have ever ridden. Provence and the Alps are also great, but busy in Summer. The vital starting point of course, is how many miles you want to do each day, you're talking about a big area! Hope this helps. PS Breakdown cover, insurance and all that are tedious expenses, but don't cut any corners, you'll be amazed how efficiently they get you on your way again when it all goes wrong, even if you don't speak a word of the language of the country you're travelling through.

Reply to this Topic
fasttard

Jan 05

fasttard says:

Pyrenees are the best

I agree the Pyrenees are a must. I love them so much I moved there last March! Cross to Le Harve overnight and you can be in the Pyrenees the following evening, 550 miles! Andorra is up to you, roads are busy though. Dont think you save much on bike gear there either these days. The Spanish tarmac in the Pyrenees is definately better and smoother than the French from my experience. Enjoy

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

Andorra

With exchange rate nowhere days your right, but it'll change it always does,in 2000 I bought a Givi Maxi top box for £83,and there's a lot of gear on sale you don't get in the Uk,haveing said that that's vice versa as well,i've been a couple of times since on a bike and last year sking and still always found the shops worth a look,with a both a Dainese importer and an Alpinestars main dealer.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices