Skip to content

General Scooter to Cruiser? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Scooter to Cruiser?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jamm13dodger

Oct 06

jamm13dodger says:

Scooter to Cruiser?

Having spent the last 4 years (on and off) commuting 70 miles a day on a 125cc Scooter i've finally decided the time has come to get a "proper" bike. I'm fairly set on a cruiser (given my build and the fact that I prefer to take it easy on the road) but have many questions about what to choose. The "easy rider" in me would love a Harley but i've heard bad things about their reliability. If this is true then i'm probably going to go for a japanese cruiser along the lines of the Yamaha Dragstar, Honda Rebel or similar. Reliability is a key issue for me and it would be preferable to be able to carry out most of the work on the bike myself. I'd love to hear others views on any of these bikes and also other suggestions of what to look for so I know what to google. Hope this isn't a too obviously repeated noob question but i've hada good look around and am still stumped. Cheers, Rob.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (16 October 2006 19:27)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Sgt Bilko

May 03

Sgt Bilko says:

Rob

Before you dismiss scooters completely blag yourself a go on a Yamaha Tmax 500... ... you will be impressed! ;-)

Reply to this Topic
eatmydust

Jun 06

eatmydust says:

scoot poots

Arem splutter splutter. Get yerself a bike not a scooter.

Reply to this Topic
jamm13dodger

Oct 06

jamm13dodger says:

Large tyres less prone to slipping?

The tmax looks good but the wheels are still kinda small. Makes me wonder - are larger wheels more stable than scooter size wheels or have I simply got that all wrong?

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

lenb

Hello Len, Yep I'll be at hoggin the bridge if the weather's ok, Mrs has to work so I'll be on my own but as I said IF the weather holds, Not looking that promising at the moment it's a long trog from Cornwall if it's raining ! Rog.

Reply to this Topic
lenb

Jun 03

lenb says:

Vulc

Yep just checked tthe web, supposed to hammer down all over the country on Sunday. However the Met Office have difficulty predicting yesterdays weather; bet they got it right this time. If so I'm staying put. Stay safe. Hope your Bros doing OK

Reply to this Topic
Sgt Bilko

May 03

Sgt Bilko says:

[b]The tmax looks good but the wheels are still kinda small.[/b] Tmax runs on 15" wheels. Mine a mark 1 on 14. Must admit never had any concerns over handling. Obviously bigger is better but the Tmax is so well designed handling has never been an issue. Must concede a bike makes more economical sense as all new maxi-scooters are over priced IMHO.

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

lenb

bro's getting better, his left leg's 1" shorter now so he will have a permanent limp, He's still on a single crutch but can bear weight on the injured leg. I think he's finished with riding, the crash has knocked some of the stuffing out of him he still has his Vmax trike but I think he'll sell it. Insurance companies are still dead locked the police have been zilch help they still say the evidence is 'inconclusive' & can't assess her speed when she hit him up the arse as she made no attempt to brake thus no skid marks & no reference points. I had a power commander fitted to the vulcan & set up on a dyno, What a difference ! no more power but the improvement to the low range is terrific. I crapped meself watching the guy run it on the rolling road ! 6 runs in total & it's giving 78lb of torque at the wheel. The guy who did it is a super fella, Sean Hodges in Rosudgeon near Helston he's got the only dyno setup in Cornwall but the amazing thing about him is he's only got one functioning arm ! He lost the use of the left one in a crash at the TT's in 2003, He still rides & he had the vulcan flat out roaring like a demon, best bit of kit I've put on it to date seriously thinking of a hypercharger now ! IF (big if) the weather's ok on Sunday will see you at Aust services Len. Rog.

Reply to this Topic
rbaynton

May 06

rbaynton says:

Don't touch the Harley!

Hi Rob

As a rider of many (!) years I have only recently taken the Harley route and can only say that it was a BIG mistake.

Like you, I use a scooter for every day work, a 200cc Vespa. Inevitably things occasionaly go wrong with it. When they do, my local dealer usually has the parts in stock or can get them within a few days. He always provides me with a courtesy bike to keep me mobile. I have had similar experience with the main Japanese / Triumph dealer here in Bristol.

I took the plunge and after some deliberation - much like you invested nearly £10,000 on a brand spanking new Harley Super Glide which arrived on 1st March. After just ove 2 weeks it wouldn't start and this was diagnosed as a problem with the flywheel ring gear - a shame but these things happen.

Since then it has resided at the Bristol Harley dealer, Riders of Bristol. Firstly they have been unable to get the parts from Harley (this is really significant since all the 'big' Harleys have the same engines and thus the same parts). They are now saying that it will be at least the end of the month before these arrive (and, of course I believe that !)

Riders of Bristol are 'unable' to provide me with a loan bike (this is how much customer care you get from them), as a result, having spent a near 5 figure sum on a new bike I am without one for at least seven weeks and my guess is a lot more.

In summary therefore, get a cruiser they are great. Don't get a Harley because the supply of spares is terrible. If you DO decide to get a Harley make sure that you get guarantees from your dealer that in the event of a breakdown they will be able to keep you on the road with SOMETHING, even if its just an old banger of a 250,(unlike Riders of Bristol ).

So its a big HI. to everyone and I hope you are enjoying the great riding weather we have had recently - I only wish that I could be out there with you!

Reply to this Topic
HondaChris

Sep 06

HondaChris says:

is this the oldest running thread

!??!?!?!?!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN