You are in... Forums > Sport > British Superbikes > "Where are they now ?"

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wizz123

Feb 04

wizz123 says:

"Where are they now ?"

Recently,while flicking through a programme,dated 1976 Cadwell Park,Skegness Motor Cycle Club. l came across some names from the past,ie Mick Kent,Syd Smaller,Steve Andrew,Pete Godfrey ect ect. So l thought ld start a thread,to see who you remember from the 1970s-80s,and just wander,what are they doing now ?.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 10 years ago (31 March 2005 19:41)

Post a message in British Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gatwick235

Aug 02

gatwick235 says:

Always wondered

Whatever happened to George Ashton? Unbeatable in the 50cc class on a Honda and then a Garelli. The one Brit who should have been a World champ. Also Alan Barnett, a multi Brit 500 champ,but faded into obscurity.He was so smooth he looked slow. I think he rode a Matchless Metisse.

Reply to this Topic
wizz123

Feb 04

wizz123 says:

Chris Guy

Didnt he ride for Sid Griffiths for a time,and always seemed to have No 13.Didnt he get injured ?.As for Graham Wood,Scunthorpe rider,just cant think though who he rode for though.

Reply to this Topic
buschwacker

Apr 05

buschwacker says:

chris guy

chris guy as quoted did use to race with the No 13 on his bike. If i remember correctly, he was sponsored by Mal Carter, father of Alan Carter. Riding TZ Yamaha's, under the Pharoah banner. Ron Haslam was also riding in the same team, prior to him riding for Honda. Must have been an expensive team to run,due to the win it or bin it mentallity of Ron Haslam at the time, which seemed to transfer across the team to Chris Guy. This was probably around 1976-77. Very vague memory recalls that he may have made team selection for the Transatlantic match races around the same time,possibly when Steve Baker on Yamaha Canada OW31 thrashed everyone at Brands Hatch, including Barry Sheene and Kenny Roberts, to name a few

Reply to this Topic
old_elsie

Mar 05

old_elsie says:

Graham Wood

Pretty sure Graham Wood rode for Fowlers of Bristol .. same as the legendary Jock Taylor ...I'm sure I saw him in the british 500 gp one year at silverstone

Reply to this Topic
wizz123

Feb 04

wizz123 says:

Graham Wood

Thanks Old Elsie,thats right "Fowlers",and he did ride in the British Gp one year. Ref to Chris Guy,he was a bit of a crasher,he did ride for Pharoh Yamaha,but he also rode for Sid Griffiths some time later,about the time Alan Carter started his racing career in club meets.

Reply to this Topic
wizz123

Feb 04

wizz123 says:

Who remembers ????

Gordon Allott and Kirk Langham,a couple of headbanging club racers from Doncaster,who raced during the eighties. What l remember of them,they were the men to beat around Cadwell Park,on there Yamaha LCs.

Reply to this Topic
wizz123

Feb 04

wizz123 says:

Steve Ives

Another name that springs to mind is Steve Ives,came onto the national scene like a thunderbolt,then disapeared.What l can find out,he raced 400 yamahas.

Reply to this Topic
littleoldlady

Jan 04

where are they now?

Hoping Sean Warwick reads this as when I suggested they did articles on riders who has dissappeared instead of all the pages on selling and testing bikes he arrogantly stated no thank you to this idea. Also he may have noticed that Chris Carter in Bike Sport News has had simliar ideas over the winter.

Reply to this Topic
RazorRace

Sep 02

RazorRace says:

Eddie Laycock?

Doing research for this kind of thing involves actual work, donchaknow...Eddie Laycock...now there's another name, former GP runner on the Miller bike, I think...I've tried to find out what he's up to but the last I heard (and I'm not sure if the guy was pulling my le) was that he was now the proud owner of a chippie in Ireland... ...anyway, tell him I've got his crash helmet....

Reply to this Topic
norbert1

Jan 04

norbert1 says:

Chris Guy/Eddie Laycock

Chris Guy was fantastic - he was around in the very late 70's/mid 80's and no-one tried harder than him, often too hard. We used to have a sweep on which corner he'd fall off at and when ever I saw him in the pits he'd be hobbling along with his latest injury but still smiling. He always rode under number 13 and it really did seem unlucky for him, and he had the Pink Panther on his helmet. About 10 years ago Chris was selling and fitting water filters, no idea what he's been doing since then. I've nicked this from an article on Eddie Laycock off the TT Supporters club, not sure how up-to date it is: "Eddie, who retired at the end of 1992, now lives in Templeogue with his wife Helen and their two boys and runs a successful pet shop at Cornellscourt in South Dublin".

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices