Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

CliveBroom

Jul 06

CliveBroom says:

TYRE PRESSURES

Here's a question.

My handbook says that tyres should be inflated when cold and before they have travelled a mile. The nearest garage to me that has an air pump that I can get onto my wheels is five miles away. I didn't really take any notice until this weekend I went to put air in my car tyres.

My car shows the tyre pressures for each wheel on the dash and I found that by the time I got to the garage the tyres pressures had gone up by two psi from 33 to 35.

How can I ensure that my bike tyres are at the correct pressure if they heat up the same degree as the car, or shouldn't I worry?

Thanks as ever.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (23 April 2007 19:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sean

Aug 02

sean says:

Buy

CliveBroom, it's simple really buy a good quality tyre gauge £15-20 (I would never trust a garage one) then nip down to Halford they have foot pumps for £10. I used to do what you are doing ride to garage etc... but it's far easier to wheel the bike out of the garage at home and check your tyres with no rush or cue.

Sean.

PS If you don't want to buy the kit just ride to the garage and wait around for an hour or so when you could be out riding :-)

Reply to this Topic
tonythomas

Dec 05

tonythomas says:

or

buy some party ice bags when you get there, hey presto...tyre coolers!!

;-)

Reply to this Topic
parapanfan

Apr 06

parapanfan says:

Pump it up

I'm in the same boat, I have a digital gauge but nearest airline is 5 miles away.

Hein Gericke have tiny little high pressure foot pumps for around £20 - small enough to take touring!

Reply to this Topic
ouzo

Jun 04

ouzo says:

Pressure

I have a gauge at home which I use to check the pressure. If the tyre needs topping up I then go to the garage on the way out and just add the required difference in the amount of pressure, ignoring what the total pressure the gauge at the garage actually reads.

Reply to this Topic
jbennison

May 04

jbennison says:

I use

a motrax £9.99 digital guage. Same as a bigger one a mate uses on his track days so is accurate. As has been mentioned I would not trust any garage forecourt gauge as they get knocked about and generally abused. If mine need any air I just get the small bike pump I carry in my rucksack and adjust as needed. Pressures I use are 36f/41r with Dunlop D220st on my bandit.

Cheers, take care

jb

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices