Ask an Expert New Rider Nerves Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > New Rider Nerves

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Little Missy N

May 07

New Rider Nerves

I only passed at the tail end of last year and stupidly went out and bought a brand shiny new sports bike. Having not riden much over the winter and having dropped it already once, my confidence is shot. Any advice on how I go about getting it back? I don't want to sell the bike as I love it, but it's silly it sitting there doing nothing!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (02 May 2007 13:04)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
taffmahoney

Dec 05

taffmahoney says:

Nerves

I had an off on some ice at the end of Janary and broke my wrist and was very shook up about it - needless to say 6 weeks off the bike makes you wonder if it's really worthit!

My advice to you would be to get yourself on your bike but go somewhere nice and quiet, away from main roads and all the traffic and ride around on it until you start to feel more relaxed. If you're nervous you're more likely to tense up and that's when things will start to go wrong so take it easy and stay relaxed. I went around my local tesco's car park for a few hours - practicing manouvers and positioning etc before going anywhere near a busy road.

Failing that you could look into getting some more training - i'm sure there are plenty of training centres around that will spend a couple fo days with you giving you helpful advice and some top tips. The company I passed my DAS with offered me their services if I bought a new bike - they said they would spend half a day riding with me on my new bike to make sure I was doing it right.

It's not stupid to go out and buy a brand new shiny sports bike as that's what I did and I don't regret it, but I do remember to stay relaxed and if I find myself being overwhelmed by the bike, I can jsut pull over and take a break to calm down.

Good luck!

Reply to this Topic
chuckzx6r

Apr 07

chuckzx6r says:

Your'e not alone

I re-sat my licence late last year. Bought a lovely ZX6R and rode a lot for the first few months until I had a scare coming back from London to York in the rain. Since then I've lost my bottle, whent out a few times (forced myself to get on the bike) and commuted to work. I was very nervous untill I decided to take it easy, chose a few quiet roads and did the car park thing (CBT type practice :)) Just take it easy, if you have any mates take them with you and enjoy it, you will soon find yourself back on track. Enjoy the ride!

Reply to this Topic
chuckzx6r

Apr 07

chuckzx6r says:

ummm

When I said 'if you have any mates' I meant mates that ride. I was in no way infering that you dont have any mates at all :)

Reply to this Topic
Mandy751

Apr 07

Mandy751 says:

Getting over jitters

I passed my CBT last October after two attempts. It helped me loads that my fella took me out for a ride from Nottingham to Skeggy and back one quiet afternoon. I stayed in front as this helps me more with confidence and fella just butted in if I got any trouble. We took our time, barely over the speed limit and I was then quite happy to ride myself in rush hour traffic everyday to work. Ok, my 125 is very easy to handle - but would it help you if you found someone to ride out with just for a bit of support?

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

confidence booster

try thinking through your spill, try to remember what you did wrong that caused the accident. that way i found that i was in control and that as long as i consentrated it was unlikely to happen again.

you must get back on and take control of your fear asap missy.

take your time, enjoy your ride, and most important, in the words of D.Adams.........

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rapid Training

Mar 07

New Rider Nerves

Not an unusual story, get yourself back to the school that got you through the test and just ask then to take you out for a mornings ride. With a bit of coaching hopefully your confidence will start to re appear. Good luck with it.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Nerves

Similar thing - 2 bust knees - finally got back on in Feb' after 6 moths recovery. Just take your time and relax. It's there (the bike) to be enjoyed.

I would also highly recommend the Bike Safe scheme - check out your local police authority. Teaches you a lot about accident avoidance / road placement etc.

Reply to this Topic
fazedblue

Jun 07

fazedblue says:

nerves

I passed my test mid May having tootled around on CBR125 for 6 months, and it was like starting all over again when I got my Fazer 600 !!!

the way I get my confidence if going into the industrial estate and doing CBT type stuff, riding out with my bloke and doing short journeys to my mates house.

I think the main thing that helps me is knowing I'm not the only one that gets nervous.

good luck,

Reply to this Topic
byron_electric

Jun 07

New Rider Nerves

I recently passed my CBT and was having much the same problem, work commitments meant that I could not get on my bike for a couple of months really and I have no friends in the area that ride. I got up early in the morning 5 half five (pain I know) but theres is very little traffic on the roads. It gives you an opportunity to get road time in rather than a car park or Industrial estate etc. but without the worry of traffic. A few days/weeks doing this really helps build up confidence.

Reply to this Topic
kaz650

Jan 10

kaz650 says:

Step up to 600

I couldn't agree more, I went from moped to 125, and could throw the 125 around after 2 attempts at module 1, and 3 attempts at module 2. I thought no fear with my gn125, then I had a restricted xj600 diversion, and feel like a beginner all over again, i get nervous just looking at it !

Thinking of doing the bikesure course, but hubby says get on the bike, and do the miles, get confident all over again !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices