Ask an Expert New Rider Nerves Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > New Rider Nerves

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Little Missy N

May 07

New Rider Nerves

I only passed at the tail end of last year and stupidly went out and bought a brand shiny new sports bike. Having not riden much over the winter and having dropped it already once, my confidence is shot. Any advice on how I go about getting it back? I don't want to sell the bike as I love it, but it's silly it sitting there doing nothing!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (02 May 2007 13:04)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ian Version 2.0™

Aug 08

Look at the dates.

You guys are replying to a thread that's 3 years old! I'm sure Little Missy N has either got over her nerves or given up by now.

All good advice though. :P

Reply to this Topic
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

its an OLD chesnut....

"I only passed at the tail end of last year and stupidly went out and bought a brand shiny new sports bike."

did you take any advice before buying a bike????

may i suggest you rethink what type of bike you start your biking career on?? the SV650 is a great half way house between sports and commuting, forgiving in power, easy to control and goes well. They even have a dedicate race series for them when you get a bit more cocky - Google: Minitwins.

The SV as a great bike all round and more easier and safer to ride if your new to biking but does have a defined sporting edge to it. I had one for a little while as a stop gap and couldnt complain about it.

Sports bike are very focussed, its a different type of riding and you need to really get some miles under your belt. You wouldnt pass a car test and jump in a Porche GT Turbo would you? think about it.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

passed bike test

i passed das in nov 09, was hoping to be on my zzr this season, hope i can keep it, ...being scammed over the sale..

Reply to this Topic
Robwebley

Mar 09

Robwebley says:

New rider nerves

I know what you're going through, a couple of years back I came off and broke my right wrist and elbow - my own fault, I deliberately stuck my arm between the bike and the tarmac to prevent it getting scratched (a decision I stand by, bones heal, but Suzuki don't make that shade of paint anymore...) but after I'd mended, I had really bad nerves until I bought the book Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown, there is a chapter about overcoming phobias, I read it once, jumped on the bike and did 50 miles, not so much as a hint of nerves. Since then I think my enjoyment of riding has improved massively. Thank you Mr Brown! :smile

Reply to this Topic
tourx4

Mar 10

tourx4 says:

new rider nerves!

To little missy N i know how you feel,  i recently converted over to gears, before i was riding a sym 125 scooter. My advice is to book more training and also start riding your bike again(short journeys than build them up)But above all take your time and do it slowly. Once you have had more training and road time i think you feel more confident again! Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Reply to this Topic
djpert1

Feb 10

djpert1 says:

COnfidence booster

I've recentley passed my test and am ridin a restricted bandit 600. It's great and I'm just trying to get as many miles in as possible. Going anywehere? Take the bike. I still get a bit nervous when I over cook it into corners like I did today. I should of kept the power on but hit the brakes mid corner. Noice error I know, whoch I was lucky to get away with as I ended up riding along the grass verge! Thankfully I learned to ride a bike on a farm so stayed rubber side down but again this has been chalked down to experience. I stopped, had a quick ciggy and got my head back together.

Keep at it!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices