Skip to content

General Wheelie School....which is best - clutch or throttle?! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Wheelie School....which is best - clutch or throttle?!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

aaron_mortimer

Sep 02

Wheelie School....which is best - clutch or throttle?!

Hi guys.  I'm about to book a day at wheelie school, but there defintiely seems to be a divided camp for those in favour of schools that teach the power wheelie (off the throttle) method versus those who teach the clutch method. My question is - WHICH IS BEST?!  I have looked up all the main ones - Jimmy Fireblade, I Want To Wheelie, SCSWS, The Wheelie School etc, and they all profess that their chosen method is best.  Arguments for throttle one is that is easiest for beginners as they dont need to worry about multiple controls and is better to concentrate on teh feeling of the wheel being up in the air prior to messing with controls. Arguments for clutch ones is that they are more controlled and the 'proper' way of doing it, rather than just gassing the throttle.  Can someone with some experience help?! I dont really care if you see results quicker with the throttle method - I would rather learn how to do them properly, even if this means it is slow to pick up on the day (as hopefully it means I will be better afterwards!) Thanks! Aaron

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (22 May 2007 14:58)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

chrisyzf

So much pent-up rage in your posts! :shock: You are wrapped way too tight.... I don't think you should be on the roads either,... with all that seething anger in you! ..... 'Road Rage Incident' just waiting to happen. 

Aaron,  -

I am no expert, but I have mates who can wheelie for miles at high speed. talking to them the general consensus is clutch is always best .... but throttle is the easiest way to start. As others have said, start on the throttle and develop on to using the clutch. It takes a while to master and it's best to 'walk before trying to run' . Good luck and enjoy your wheelie school.:winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
KWAK6ftRider

Jun 04

KWAK6ftRider says:

It was suggested

by a stunt rider at the weekend that Quads are a good way to start learn to wheelie, as you can practice the clutch/throttle thing with out having to worry to much about the balance.

Chrisyzf
as the others have said, lighten up man. no one has said he wants this skill to use on the roads, just that he wants to be able to do it. and if anything it might even be a useful skill for the roads in terms of refining throttle control (not actually wheelieing)

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Aaron

Link below is to a stunters section of an American  forum ... full of useful threads on wheelies, stand-ups, stoppies etc.  

You will find all your answers there.(you don't need to sign up to read the replies).

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
jbennison

May 04

jbennison says:

Found it

It was a superbike vid which takes you through the stages.

Have a look and I am sure it will give you something to think about before you do the course.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6656191590638402466

There is an MCN one too on you tube but it's not as in depth as this one.

jb

Reply to this Topic
tazzer

Aug 02

tazzer says:

Chris & dhustonedave

Nobbingfrogs is the place for you boys, you'll be happy there with Archie arseangler ,dodgy and the other numpties :wink:

Reply to this Topic
claschy

May 05

claschy says:

blimey..

Aaron..
The wheelie school I would reconmend is I Want To Wheelie.. great instruction, great bikes and a looong airfield to mess around on. They were trottle based, which I found was easy and more realistic to general riding situations, also if you dont't wheelie during the day you get to go back again for free!

As for growing up.. well I found the day useful for the road too, as I now dont poo my pants when the front end comes up out of a bend! .. and most of all it was bloody good fun! :tongue: Enjoy!

C Xxx

Reply to this Topic
skycat

Jul 05

skycat says:

Good grief

poor chap ask a question and abuse is thrown at him... i be suprised if he stick around after this intro to the MCN forum!!!!  :shock:

aaron not my sort of thing.. but hell whats one man poison.... :smile

Though something id rather only see practiced at a school.  Best of luck and enjoy. :wink:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Aaron

If you have very little experience of wheelieing then wheelieing with the throttle only is probably the best bet for you. Your unlikely to loop the bike as the front end wont come up too quick. Getting used to the front end being in the air takes a little bit of time.

If you've got more experience then I'd go for the clutching it up schools but there is much more likelyhood of looping the bike doing this. Wheelieing on the clutch allows you greater control of when to loft the front rather than having to be at a particular engine revs to do it on the power.

Getting caught on the roads nowdays pulling a wheelie will probably get you banned so be careful where you pull them.

Reply to this Topic
seriousmischief

Jul 05

i went to..

jimmy fireblade for a birthday prezzie...really top day out and jimmy makes for a great teacher and host.. as you probably know he teaches the clutch method and all his bikes have a cut out to stop you looping it .. i spose the clutch is safer as such but once you're on your own there really is no fail safe and its down to your own judgement.

my advice is if you wanna do it then go for it...at the very least you'll have a great day out with the benefit of popping the front wheel up in a safe enviroment.

if you want any more info please don't hesitate to ask

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Whats the problem

with someone wanting to learn to wheelie.

I cant believe anybody critisized him. I bet you all break the speed limit every ride and by enough to get an instant ban/prison sentence.

I'm not a great fan of wheelies myself, but with the throttle fully open they're only a small bump etc away.

enjoy your day M8.

Welcome to the forum????

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle