You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Mixing Bridgestone Tires

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

taffmahoney

Dec 05

taffmahoney says:

Mixing Bridgestone Tires

I am in need of a new front tire and want to replace the Bridgestone BT-020 with the new BT-021 tire.  The problem is that my rear tire is a new(ish) BT-020 and I want to use the BT-021 front with the BT-020 rear.  I will eventually replace the BT-020 rear with a new BT-021.

So my question is will I be okay to run a BT-021 front with a BT-020 rear or will the combination affect the handling/stability of the bike?  (I ride a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer)

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (24 May 2007 15:27)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bridgestone

Mar 07

Bridgestone says:

Mixing

The mixed combination of these two has not yet been tested so I am unable to answeer correctly. However, what I can tell you is that from the numerous phone calls I have had from people who have mixed them on a wide variety of bikes, is that they work ok with no issues. If you are to use them then please bare in mind that this is not an approved fitment!

Reply to this Topic
tootingbandit

Oct 02

Mixing Bridgestone Tyres

In the real world, since Bridgestone don't seem to want to test the combinations, I've used the 010 Front and 020 rear on two Bandits, one the 600 and the other the 1200, combined mileage 50,000!  That was several tyre changes of course!  Used to get 8,000 out of an 010 and nearly 10,000 miles out of an 020.   Worked perfectly whether commuting or long tours.  Now on a newer Bandit 1200, I've got a 014 front and 021 rear.  Again, perfect, no hassles, already done 2500 on them in all weathers in the last three months.  Always fitted by FWR in Kennington, London.

Reply to this Topic
Bridgestone

Mar 07

Bridgestone says:

Mixing

Dear tootingbandit

It is not a case of not wanting to test. It is a matter of time and resource. If we could test al combinations on all bikes, we would. But, there are in excess of 300 product lines in our range and over 3,000 different bikes, Imagine how long this takes just to test pairs, nevermind mixed pairs! Testing is not completed in a day, for all tests to be carried out takes at least 3 to 4 days of full on testing to ensure the product, when fitted to the bike, is safe under all conditions.

Reply to this Topic
RoadRashSpirit

Jan 10

Indeed

Hey, Ive bin riding on both 020's and especially 021's for about four years now on a few different bikes. I think the mix wouldn't hurt at all Ive mixed bridgestones in the past with little consequence but to be honest my advice is try a different tyre. I cant recommend anything as ive yet to walk that mile but in my summed up experience bridgstones are OK, thats about it and in my (own opinion) they are only OK for about 3000 mile. If your a serious rider both in milage and weather then (in my opinion) you wont get a long life out of them before (in my opinion) they lack to inspire any confidence in handeling capabuility. My most recent set handled better in snow than they do in the wet. (Not a joke) if i wanted to ride in a straight line all day when it gets even a little damp I would have put car tyres on. what do u say to that Mr Bridgestone? And no its not the bike I blamed that for the last three years and its definatley not tire pressures either.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices