Skip to content

General Rover made in China !!! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Rover made in China !!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

kentuckey

Aug 02

kentuckey says:

Rover made in China !!!

-- and everybody said the Chinese take-over was a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo&NR=1

I'll leave you all to make your own mind up.

Ken.T

[This Topic has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (23 June 2007 18:26)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DavidSull

May 04

DavidSull says:

Globalisation

Tell me about it. I work at Airbus and more & more of the aicraft I work on are being built in China. A worrying trend that, given our government's lack of backbone in intervening to save UK jobs, is only likely to get worse.

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

that car

was just one big crumple zone,  ALL of it crumpled !  It looked like a rover but was it ?

Reply to this Topic
kentuckey

Aug 02

kentuckey says:

Just a thought :--

-- but Jeremy Clarkson must be shitting himself at the thought of road testing one of those. Good enough for the prick as in my opinion he was at the forefront of the campaign to ridicule the Rover brand and ultimately its closure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Clarkson#Rover

Ken.T

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Head above the parapet again

If Rover had built decent cars with good build quality they would have survived. Truth was they never got over the reputation built in the 70's  with shoddy build quality and bugger all paint - remember the days of 'Monday morning and Friday afternoon' jobs?

Irony is now that China seem to be emulating them beautifully:lol:

Reply to this Topic
kentuckey

Aug 02

kentuckey says:

Must disagree Boult

I have got a Rover 218 VVC coupe and in 120,000 miles the only thing that I have had to do apart from normal servicing is to replace the head gasket at 80,000 miles, the wife drives a 54 plate 25 and the only reason she bought that is the R reg 214 (140,000miles) that she was driving was written of when someone drove into the back of her and the insurance deemed the repairs were too expensive. The brand was as good as any other mass market brand and was going in the right direction until BMW saw fit to asset strip the company for its own end.:mad::mad: (and I ride a BMW by the way) What with that and the constant jibing by the Top Gear team meant there wasn't much chance for them to progress on their own.:upset:

Ken.T

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. RT3  
  2. RT4  
Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

I suspect

that BMW have flogged off the machinery for building Rovers to the chinese but NOT the expertise. Plus they'll be cutting corners on metal quality & thickness for cheapness. BMW betrayed the rover work force & as Ken says asset stripped it keeping only the mini money spinner,  In doing what they did they killed Rover thus eliminating a competitor.  I wouldn't buy a BMW while I draw breath pity really as I do like their bikes.

I've had several rover 200's my last was a 218 TDI & only went to the scrappies after being smashed up by 'white van man' All my rovers had good build quality & were reliable all going well over the 140,000 mile mark while I had them.

Reply to this Topic
kentuckey

Aug 02

kentuckey says:

vulc

So that makes two of us who have had good service from the brand:biggrin:.

Ken.T

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

Ken

at least 2 LOL !:lol:

Reply to this Topic
cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

Got to agree with Boult.

The last car that Rover made without outside help was the Montego and we all know how good that was. And even then they had to resort to buying in the gearboxes from VW as the originals were rubbish. The 200 is just a elderly Civic that's not as well put together and Honda had the sense to keep back the best bits for their own version, e.g: Rover K-Series, an engine so prone to head gasket failure that Unipart made more repair kits for the aftermarket than Rover made engines. Under BMW's direction, Rover built the 75 which was never brilliant but arguably the best car Rover ever made. You have to admit, with the possible exception of the old Alfasud factory in Southern Italy, Longbridge had the reputation for having one of the most incompetent workforces in Europe and had a major hand in creating their unfortunate situation. Hopefully, the Chinese will keep that tradition up and go bankrupt as well. With a bit of luck, they'll take all their equally crap bikes with them.

I do agree that BMW's asset stripping was inexcusable. They still own most the old BL/BMC brand names (Morris, Riley, Wolseley, etc) though I believe the Triumph name was subject to a dispute after BMW suggested a relaunch to replace the Rover name. Basically, Triumph Motorcycles didn't want to be linked to Rover's reputation for shoddy engineering.

I'd had a sucession of Mini's by the time BMW bought Rover and clearly remember saying that all they were interested in were the Mini and Land Rover brands. I guess I was wrong about Land Rover but BMW's acquisition of the Mini brand and designing/building their first FWD car in the UK meant that BMW could distance themselves and blame Rover for anything that went wrong. Sly, yes but if you remember the fiasco that Mercedes Benz had with the A-Class, you'll also remember they pretty much lost their reputation for engineering integrity overnight, so it made good sense from a marketing point of view.

Reply to this Topic
kennedydpk

Jun 05

kennedydpk says:

Chinese vehicles.....

the only curse with buying chinese is you have to get another one 2 hours later!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same with Kong-Po chicken with fried rice.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle