Skip to content

Ask an Expert DFDS Ferries - Newcastle to Amsterdam Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > DFDS Ferries - Newcastle to Amsterdam

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

DFDS Ferries - Newcastle to Amsterdam

Any suggestions, comments or advice regarding how to secure your bike on the ferry when travelling with DFDS to Holland. This is my first time abroad with my bike and the staff on the end of the phone didn't exactly fill me with confidence about it.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (13 July 2007 01:00)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andyx11

Jul 07

Andyx11 says:

Securing bike on ferries.

I travelled on the Newcastle ferry two weeks ago, and the crew give out two ratchet straps per bike to secure it. But be quick as I saw some of our foreign bretheren grabbing 3 or 4 for their bikes.

Its best to check out your bike now for suitable places that a strap can go!

I find it better to leave the bike on it's sidestand, lock the steering and if possible applying the front brake is a good idea.

On my X11 I can pass one strap through over the top of swing arm pivot just behind the rear wheel and in front of the shock absorber, I have a hugger fitted but it isn't in the way at all. When this one single strap is tensioned up the bike is securely planted to the deck for the trip.

If your really worried fix another strap but make sure it's somewhere safe!

My return journey was the worst crossing I have ever had 21 hours, we docked in Newcastle at 2pm should have been 9am, the seas were breaking over the 9 storey high ferry all night this was Monday 25th / Tuesday 26th June when Yorkshire was getting all the floods. On getting to the car deck the bike was still securely held in place.

Some people attach straps from the rear carriers which I don't like, as all that pressure eventually gets transferred to the rear subframe of the bike and these ratchet straps can exert some force. A mates rear subframe snapped a couple of years ago when a DFDS deckhand decided to help him out! That's why the crew no longer help to secure bikes, in case of a claim!

Hope you have a calm crossing!

Regards AndyX11

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Take

some old rags and put them between strap and bike, save scratches.

Have you considered riding further down the country, crossings from Felixstowe much shorter or even down to Dover. Calais only couple hours from Amsterdam.

Reply to this Topic
vindict

Mar 07

vindict says:

Securing bike on ferries.

my bike has always been ok with the strapes over the seat while on the centre stand with a chock under the wheels, you just have to be careful while puting the strap on not to damage your paint work, the rags idea is a good one

Reply to this Topic
cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

Cheers

Thanks for the advice.

My bike has no centre stand so I think I'll go with the over the swingarm idea at the back. I'll probably secure the front too. Was planning on taking my own ratchet straps and rags. Are the deck floors fitted with securing rings for this purpose?

I did consider going down to Dover but I only live about 15 miles away from the Newcastle/North Shields ferry terminal. Cost of fuel for the return trip took away any saving I would have made.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andyx11

Jul 07

Andyx11 says:

fixing points

Depending if you are on the LH or RH car decks there is a cable running down the outside wall of the ferry which you can clip your strap onto.

It is important to line up the fixing eye on the deck with your swing arm position so that when the strap passes through, it is more or less straight across the bike if you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Yes using a rag or gloves to cushion the strap over the bike is a good idea, prevent any potential scuff marks.

Reply to this Topic
cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

Securing bike on ferries

I think I get what you mean. Thanks for the advice.

Craig

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices