Skip to content

News Video: Ecosse Spirit ES1 motorcycle unveiled at Laguna Seca MotoGP New bikes

You are in... Forums > News > New bikes > Video: Ecosse Spirit ES1 motorcycle unveiled at Laguna Seca MotoGP

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Angus Farquhar  says:

Video: Ecosse Spirit ES1 motorcycle unveiled at Laguna Seca MotoGP

Tonight (Friday 20 July) the Ecosse Spirit ES1 superbike will be officially launched at the US MotoGP at Laguna Seca. MCN snuck in before the official unveiling to see the prototype, and its designer, Dick Glover, explained the thinking behind it. Check out the video to see the bike in all its carbon fibre glory, and read about it in MCN –...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (20 July 2007 21:51)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Frieda

Jul 07

Frieda says:

Incredible

...it will be the fastest bike to be stopped by blue lights the other side of a shop :winkie: I read about this on MCN, but the video is something else. I wonder how the bike feels, with that thin tank...Will it be a commuter bike?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
hackie

Jul 07

hackie says:

beauty

truly an incredible bike, if it goes as good as it looks then it's nothing short of spectacular. wonder what the range of the tank will be, and how long the tyres will last. a beautiful looking machine, i want one already!

Reply to this Topic
monkeyseemonkeydo

Jul 06

Commuter bike?

You are kidding aren't you Frieda?! Great to see some real thought going into where race bike design could go in the future. One thing I'd like to know is how easy it is to hang off the bike. With the riding position as it is and your legs enclosed in the cowling like that, I'm not sure how easy it will be for a rider to shift around and get his body where he wants it. Engine air intake also looks a little odd. I'd have thought that being more perpendicular to the free stream and with a reasonable radius on the intake would be advantageous... Looking forward to seeing the working prototypes.

Reply to this Topic
Frieda

Jul 07

Frieda says:

Commuter bike, the Ecosse?

:tongue:

besides, I doubt it will be within reach of most riders (unless you are Mr Plastic Fantastic). No idea what you just said there, I am just like the shiny orange look and the streamlining. Simple :sleep:

Reply to this Topic
Hainzy

Jul 07

Hainzy says:

Ecosse Spirit ES1

Strange looking bike, but the aerodynamics makes sense. Don't expect the finished product to look anything like that, the radiator, cylinder head and front suspension to handlebar connections all appeared in the same place going by his hand gestures. And the chain(s), clever, but can anybody else see the damage that will do if you ever come off. I clever model, but I can't see it as a working prototype. Keep going though, but start with the chassis and engine first and design the fairings around them (In clay, like most manufacturers). Look forward to seeing a working prototype...

Reply to this Topic
monkeyseemonkeydo

Jul 06

Hainzy...

From what I've seen in MCN and elsewhere on this site, Ecosse have the bike pretty much fully modelled in 3D CAD, including all the suspension, steering and cooling components. The whole thing with the radiator is that because they've gone for a novel steering and front suspension setup there is nothing to restrict the flow to the rad core. As for the chain, all you need is a cover of some sort to keep you safe in the event of a fall, which will be mandetory for competition anyway. I think the main issue I can see is the riders ability to manouvre the bike. It will certainly be very fast in a straight line (i.e. low drag) but due to the riders position I don't know how easy it will be to chuck around.

Reply to this Topic
dazj

Aug 03

dazj says:

dream on

I can't help thinking that, if this was such a good idea, HRC with all their resources would have done it by now. As for 2 chains, just how mechanically inefficient is that? 140bhp at the crank 90 at the back wheel. You'll need all the reduced drag you can get to compensate for the loss of power.

Reply to this Topic
DeathHead76

Aug 09

DeathHead76 says:

dazi hits the nail on the head

A solution to a problem which causes a greater problem. The minute gain in performance due to the slightly better aerodynamics, will be totally negated by power losses in the two-chain final drive (it must have FOUR sprockets !!) I'm guessing the chances of a snapped chain are also increased. If both chains aren't set up perfectly it will snatch like a bastard. And if that final chain does snap, it'll take your leg clean off. Ouch !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices