Skip to content

Ask an Expert Automatic renewal of insurance con Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Automatic renewal of insurance con

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

hartgroves

Jan 06

hartgroves says:

Automatic renewal of insurance con

I wonder how many other bikers have had the 'automatic renewal of insurance' trick pulled on them successfully?

I won't mention the firm - YET - because I'm currently waiting for a reply from the MD, but my insurer tried to bump up my premium massively, despite very limited mileage and no claims the previous year.  This is bad enough, but their OWN online quote service for a new policy with better terms - protected no claims bonus and no voluntary excess - is over 50% cheaper than the one which they wanted to automatically renew.  I rang them to make sure that the automatic renewal was cancelled and to stop them taking the money from my credit card.  I then accepted the more reasonable online quote and paid for it.

Lo and behold, the new policy came through - followed a few days later by the original one (with a note that they'd taken the premium for that from my credit card).  Two policies; same bike, identical comprehensive risk.  The one I accepted from their online quote service (with protected NCB and no excess) has a premium of £80; the 'automatically renewed' one's premium is £121.

Anyone can make a mistake but, despite letters and faxes, three weeks on I'm still waiting for a refund, and I'm being charged interest on my credit card for their error.

On the face of it, it appears that the firm in question is trying to increase profitability by relying on the inertia of its core customers in not checking that their 'automatic renewal' premiums are still competitive.  Comments anyone???

Si (a VERY pissed-off Divvy owner)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (25 July 2007 11:05)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
garybfreeman

Nov 06

garybfreeman says:

insurance con

was it Bennetts they are trying to con me at the moment but have got a fight on there hands now

Reply to this Topic
taffmahoney

Dec 05

taffmahoney says:

Insurance Con

I had a similar situation with my insurance company last year.  They sent me the automatic renewal letter which was 30% more than the previous year and when I phoned them up they said that this years policy didn't include the discount for purchasing online - even though I'd not made a claim the previous year it still didn't add up!

To make matters worse, when I told them that the new policy was not acceptable as it was more than last year (regardless of online discounts etc) they said "hang on, i'll talk to my manager and see what I can do".  Then 30 seconds later they say that they can move me onto a different policy (with the same benefits and excess but it had a slightly different name) and it turned out to be 30% cheaper than the previous year...

So if you think about it, I could have been paying 60% more than what I am paying now if I didn't phone them and make a fuss.

My advice is to stay on top of insurance companies as they will take your money and run and they don't give a toss about their customers as long as they are making a profit... (that's my opinion anyway!!)

Reply to this Topic
hartgroves

Jan 06

hartgroves says:

Update on insurance scam

And now for the next exciting episode of this ongoing saga....  Yes Gary, the culprit was (is) Bennetts.  Apart from sending two faxes and two letters, I have to date made TEN phone calls (5/7  - Sash, 7/7 - Jay Dawson, 20/7 - Indira,  6/8 , 7/8 - Jane, 9/8, 11/8, 14/8 - Claire and today 20/8 - Wendy). 

Every time I get the same message - "something will be done within the next 7 days without fail".  Claire on the 14th August promised "I have put in the details manually for your refund; all outstanding paperwork (?) has been cleared and you can expect a full refund within the next 7 days"; yet when I rang today (Wendy) to chase it up, I was told that "our accounts department is in a 'bit of a muddle - they're about two months behind" - and when I threatened solicitors' action I was told that Wendy's supervisor (Kirsten) has offered me an ex-gratia payment of £20 for the trouble I've been put to and "we promise to get the refund out to you by Friday".

I have sent full details of this case to the financial ombudsman and, if nothing is received by this coming Friday, I am seeking a Small Claims Court judgement.

I'm a professional business analyst (I used to run Business Link's Plymouth office) and I thought I had seen it all; however the inefficiency of this organisation beggars belief, even forgetting the bare-faced lies that I have been told:  The Supervisors won't come to the phone, preferring to hide behind their telephone operators - all of whom have expressed embarrasment at the way this has been handled - the whole thing just stinks. 

I'll update this thread when I have new information.

Reply to this Topic
hartgroves

Jan 06

hartgroves says:

Resolution of complaint

Eventually this case has been resolved; not only that, but I found someone at Bennetts who took the time and trouble to investigate fully on my behalf, who communicated sympathetically at all times and who kept all her promises: Jane Lovelock in Customer Relations proved to be a real star and I would highly recommend your contacting her if you have any problem with the organisation.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

well done

They don't like it when you mention courts.  Anyway back to the original thread about the insurance renewal.  I got one about 4 years ago, my premium had not gone up but didn't go down either, it was about £520.  So I started to phone around as I have always done.  I got the premium down to £325 with a different company.  I phoned my existing company to tell them I won't be renewing and they then asked why.  I explained I had a cheaper quote, then to be told that they would match it.  Obviously I told them where to stick it.  How many people do they catch out like this??? That is the question.

Reply to this Topic
masklin

Nov 07

masklin says:

Bennetts have conned me too!

Thought I got it right this year. Phoned Bennetts and told them didn't want to automatically renew my existing policy :smile.

Then went to their web site and bought a new policy for 50% less than the renewal price :biggrin:. Who says auto renewal isn't a con!

So what went wrong? I only ended up with two policies :upset: Although Bennetts have agreed to refund me the first one they then have the insult to charge me £30 for the privilege. Cancellation fee they call it. Cock-up fee is what it is. What a total con. I know who I won't be using next year.

Reply to this Topic
Breakz

Sep 11

Breakz says:

Automatic renewal should be illegal!

Same thing for me today from Bennetts. I'd already renewed with MCE. Probably will never use Bennetts again because of this. Wasn't even a competitive quote. Anyway, I'm canceling the Bennetts policy, well done for alienating an otherwise satisified customer.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices