Skip to content

Ask an Expert Radial this that and the other! Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Radial this that and the other!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jmee54

Sep 07

jmee54 says:

Radial this that and the other!

:huh: What the buggery bollocks are radial brakes and all the other radial stuff that goes with them and why are they better?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (06 September 2007 00:30)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

jmee54

dont loose any sleep over it, its just marketing.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Radial

123 is right, I wouldn't loose sleep over it. But just so you know. A radial caliper is all down to the way its bolted onto the fork legs.  A normal caliper is bolted from the side into the bottom fork leg whilst a radial caliper is bolted from the back of the caliper.  This is supposed to stop the caliper flexing on its mountings.  Very dubious if anyone could feel the difference whilst using them on the road, but nice all the same.

See the attached image for a radial caliper bolted from the back.

Reply to this Topic
urban-ryder

Jul 07

urban-ryder says:

radial

well dont know if its just me but i went from standard mount brakes on my gixer to radial ones on my blade and the blade brakes are 100 times better even with standard pads

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

urban-ryder

I can lock the front wheel at speed on my 9.

Tell me why I need radial calipers

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

urban

It was probably because the Honda has got better brakes than the gixer anyway.  The first thing everyone says about the gixers is to change the brake hoses.  What Im saying is that if you put 2 identical bikes, identical lines and bled the same, you probably wouldn't see much of a difference if one had radials and the other didn't.  I had normal calipers on my cbr rr but they were awsome and no worse than the radials I have now on the gixer.

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

WTF

I see some company is/was making radial caliper conversions for bikes with conventional calipers.

I know some offer a complete fork leg bottom with the mount, but these brackets bolted to the origonal mount, and the caliper is fixed to the bracket.

Whats the point in that?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jmee54

Sep 07

jmee54 says:

Radial brakes

Thanks for the replies folks, now what is a radial master cylinder?!!!!!:huh:

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

master cylinder

The readial master cylinder refers to which way the actual pinton is pushed in.  On a conventional cylinder the pistons used to push (if you imagine) accross the width of the bars right to left.  On the radial ones the piston is pushed toward the rider giving a more direct feel.  The radial master cylinders are also suposed to produce more pressure for less effort...........I think.

If you look in the photo you can see the piston is directed towards the rider.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices