Ask an Expert Yuan 125-23 Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Yuan 125-23

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sallybrunskill

Sep 07

Yuan 125-23

Hi,  I've just bought a brand new Yuan 125-23 motorcycle.  It has been a while since I have ridden a bike and I am a little rusty but I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the bike as well.  When  i am pulling up to a stop, the bike often stalls rather than idles and after it has stalled it is very difficult to start back up again.  Could it be something I am doing wrong or does anyone have any tips for this particular bike?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (18 September 2007 09:24)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

sallybrunskill

Could be several things that cause the bike to stall, slow tickover, draging clutch,choke sticking on, you.

I'd be inclined to take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it.

Restarting issue probably down to fuel evaporation.

As the carb is situated in an enclosed space the heat from the engine causes the fuel to evaporate and doesnt deliver a very good charge to the engine causing your starting problem.

Of course I could be wrong

Reply to this Topic
sallybrunskill

Sep 07

Thanks

Thanks for that.  I called the dealer yesterday and they suggested adjusting the idle screw, so  I had a look at it last night, but to be honest I am not a mechanic and didn't want to fiddle with something I wasn't sure about.  I think I'll take your advice and take it back to the dealer for them to have a look at it

Reply to this Topic
mischka

Jan 08

mischka says:

Same problem with Yuan 125

Hi, it sounds like I've got the same problem with my Yuan 125-23.  I bought it in September, and it's been more or less ok until now, although it has been getting harder to start.  A couple of days ago, it was proving more difficult to start, and then kept stalling/cutting out and I ended up phoning for recovery.  The insurance company told me that a lot of people had phoned with similar problems with Chinese bikes.

Could you please let me know whether you found out what the problem was and if you managed to get it sorted out without too much difficulty?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sallybrunskill

Sep 07

Yuan 125

It was the idle screw that needed adjusting.  I took it back to the dealer who sorted it for me and it seemed to be fine.  However a few weeks after that I was involved in an accident (idiot drove in to the back of me at a junction) and the bike has been in for repair since then so I haven't been able to tell if the problem is re-occuring or not.
Apart from that how do you find the Yuan to ride?  I didn't have it for long enough to find out for myself and I hope it is not going to be a problem bike when I get it back from repair.

Reply to this Topic
mischka

Jan 08

mischka says:

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me,

I'm gonna phone the garage where I bought it on Monday to get them to sort it out, and it might help if I point them in that direction.  When I bought it, it was running at 5000rpm, so they reduced it to about 1-2000rpm and I wonder if that has been part of the problem.  Fingers crossed it won't be too difficult.

I haven't found it bad too drive, but it's my first bike, unless you count the scooter I rented in Thailand eight years ago!  I do about 30-35 miles a day on it to get to from work in London and it's definitely been more reliable than using the Underground - only one serious problem in three months - and should work out a lot cheaper in the long run, not to mention that I can now do the journey in half the time.

The only thing that I've really noticed is that sometimes it can be a pain in the arse to start, and whilst that might be partly down to the cold, or having the choke on too much, I think that maybe something is not quite right.  Sometimes I have had to press the start button and hold it, then it will almost start and then cut out, and then I have to do the same again, and possibly again, until the engine does start ticking over. Hopefully the garage can tell me why this is as well.

I'll let you know what happens next week.

Have a great weekend.

Reply to this Topic
sallybrunskill

Sep 07

Yuan 125

Well I got my bike back yesterday.  It has been away since November!  I remember when I first got the Yuan the idle was set to under 1000 rpm.  It was fixed to 1500-2000, the same as yours and it was fine after that.  But I will soon find out once I get out and about on it.
I wonder if starting may be a problem with Chinese bikes in general. 
When my bike first went in for repairs, my insurers sorted me a hire scooter and that was Chinese.  I noticed on cold mornings it was a struggle to start as well.
When you say you only had one serious problem in three months do you mean the problems with starting it or something else?  Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just trying to anticipate any further problems I might have with it.  I was a bit nervous about buying a chinese import bike but I was assured that they were gaining a good reputation.  A big plus was the price tag as my budget was really limited at the time.
Good luck with getting the problem sorted. 
Have a good week end.

Reply to this Topic
AndyKyle89

Jan 08

AndyKyle89 says:

My Bike Problems

Yuan YA125-23

I have a Yuan YA125-23 purchased in August since then I have a list of problems about as long as my arm. It all started a week into having the bike,when the sender started leaking fuel not just a little drop it was lying in puddles. So got that fixed then 1 week later exactly the same happend this time there was no replacement so was bogged back together with araldite. To this day still waiting to see a new sender for the bike. Due to the fuel leak one of the side pannels is all cracked n broken Ordered a replacement in 1st couple of days in Sep, Its now the end of Jan where the hell is it. Serious case of :hmmm: I have had 4 new headlights n now kinda ok but still not 100% and now the tail lights are starting to go :lol: what a joke as far as i am concerned. Three weeks ago the exhaust was falling of but managed 2 sort that all bolts were just comming away from the manofold :blink: should it really be doing that sorta thing when its 5 months old? When we had the faring off sorting the exhaust we noticed that all side pannels are just about on last legs but whats the point of getting new ones when i am still waiting on the 1st one. Last Sat the bike broke down water in the electrics. Sholud they not be covered over it isn't as though the bike is exposed to the elements or that. And finally the clutch cable is about to snap said nxt day delivery but hey as before he was talking guff. Feel really ticked off Spending! money every time bike is off the road on bus fares and the whole point of getting the bike in the 1st place was so i could have freedom n not rely on other people or public transport. Has any1 had any similar problems if so please email me at andykyle1989@hotmail.co.uk so we can try and get a picture of the secnario and tell the people that are selling them what we think. P.S had the problem with the starter 2 wares off with time still does it sometimes

Reply to this Topic
mischka

Jan 08

mischka says:

Yuan 125-23: I guess you only get what you pay for.

Hi there, and sorry for not getting back sooner,

Had no option but to take a stressful ride to the garage on Tuesday; it was very reluctant to start, but I persevered because I didn't want to wait a week for them to pick it up.

I'm sceptical as to whether they truly found out what was wrong with it, but they billed me for 'tracing and rectifying running faults'; only time will tell if they've sorted it out.  You only seem to find out just how little the warranty and breakdown covers once you actually bought it and have started to have problems.

Their diagnosis was that the fuel inlet filters were too tight and that not enough fuel was getting through to the engine so that's why it was cutting out.  They also said that they replaced the oil, the fuel filter, and cleaned/reset the carb (not quite sure what that was about).  Also they put in a new NGK plug cap.  They were happy with the idle speed, which now sits at just over 2000 rpm.  Thankfully, it was a quick turnaround and I havent had problems with them getting parts (yet).

It is definitely running better now, but now that you mentioned it, I do remember that when I took it for the 1000 mile service - back in December - it was making one hell of a noise. I was getting some seriously strange looks from people expecting to see a teenager with an XR2, and found out at the garage that the exhaust had become completely detached from the engine.  Apparently, that's down to the Chinese using inappropriate bolts to fit it which eventually become loose, due to the engine vibrating, and fall off.

Also, a small part of the headlight screen is not completely clear, almost white, which doesn't look quite right, and will query that when I go for the next service, or the next time it breaks down, (whichever happens first)!

I haven't had any problems with fuel leaks, but the garage told me that they had heard of/experienced that problem with the earlier Yuan 125-23.

I also remember that one of the caps that fits into the end of the handlebars fell off when I was riding it, but I do think that that was down to the garage not tightening it up sufficiently when they assembled the bike.

I too, didn't have an extra £1,000 to spend to get a new Honda, for example, but what's to say that they too wouldn't have had teething problems as well.  I heard from one of my friends that you have to break in any new bike.  I have also heard that they (Chinese bikes) depreciate in value quicker than other bikes as well. 

Even so, my philosphy now is that so long as it costs (or inconveniences) me less than public transport in London or costs less than a Honda over the first twelve months then I've saved money, and what the hell, it's satisfying riding through the city and just passing all those stationary cars in traffic and it's better than joining the minions/zombies on public transport.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices