Skip to content

News Picture Special: Guzzi Griso New bikes

You are in... Forums > News > New bikes > Picture Special: Guzzi Griso

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Picture Special: Guzzi Griso

The Griso sports roadster has become the first Moto Guzzi to receive the Italian firm’s virtually all-new and impressively potent eight-valve version of its transverse V-twin, powerplant. And in doing so, the striking-looking Griso has been transformed from a lumbering yet evocative old-school roadster into a charging rhino of a motorcycle with true 140mph potential. Although outwardly, as these pictures show, not...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 8 years ago (25 September 2007 16:59)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
freebirdforever

Oct 05

8V is a lot of work with little reward

Time for Guzzi to dump the old-school engines. PiaggioCorp has modern fuel-injected water-cooled 90-degree Twin engines (750cc @ 95-HP and 1200cc @ 130-HP) which would make great replacements for these dinosaurs. The Piaggio 750 engine would make the 49-HP small Breva and Nevada into fun bikes while the Griso and Bellagio would be awesome with the Piaggio 130-HP 1200 engine. Heritage and tradition can be evoked with style and design rather than continuing to use air-cooled low-compression engines.

Reply to this Topic
Recurve

Sep 07

Recurve says:

Outsourcing

Unfortunately, even though the Piagio sourced engines might make for some innovative new machines, it would be a nail in Moto Guzzi's coffin. Mandello would no longer be the sole manufacturing base and the products would be potentially victims to the whims of a conglomerate marketing man. Much better would be for Piagio to take Guzzi seriously as a money making outfit in it's own right, and to invest money to allow Guzzi themselves to develop a new power-plant that would still retain the true heritage that so many buyers of the marque desire.

Reply to this Topic
rolf

Aug 02

rolf says:

guzzi power

when are you horsepower obsessed people going to get real, get a slow bike and learn to ride fast,guzzi's already have enough power for road riding. rolf

Reply to this Topic
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

Guzzi Griso

Having owned an original Griso, all I can say is they should have concentrated on reducing weight, fixed the shite riding position, put some decent suspension on it and correct the appalling driveline shunt and crap gearbox. In addition getting the instruments to stop fogging up would've been nice also. Great looking bike but I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Reply to this Topic
Recurve

Sep 07

Recurve says:

Power Obsessed.....NOT

Rolf, in answer to your comment, if I was power obsessed I certainly wouldn't be riding a Guzzi (as I have for the last 25 years). Development of engines might just help them become more refined and acceptable to a wider audience, never mind being able to pass ever tightening emission regulations without strangling the life out of the bike. Try putting your bike through a dyno run (as I have) and see for yourself how dreadfully lean these bikes are forced to run. It would also be nice to see Guzzi once again having some meaningful success on the race track as a manufacturer, and if you imagine that will ever happen while they are hampered by 1940's technology then I feel you are deluding yourself. I fear for the future of a company that doesn't move with the times.

Reply to this Topic
Skeeve

Aug 02

Skeeve says:

Great new engine, but it's still inline...

Great article, but let's get things straight: the cylinders may be across the frame, out in the wind, but it's the CRANK orientation that determines if an engine is inline or transverse. Ducati, Harley, Vincent, Norton, Triumph: transverse twins [w/ Vee or inline *cylinders*, but the _engines_ are transverse]; Indian straight-4, BMW, Guzzi: inline engines. Now that *that's* cleared up - freebirdforever says "Time for Guzzi to dump the old-school engines..." No reason to have the cylinders jutting out in the wind if you don't need to keep them cool. Add the complexity of water-cooling, and the bike loses much of it's appeal for the "I do my own maintenance" rider. I bet you're wondering why Harley still builds the old a/c V-twins when they've got the new V-Rod engine? 'Cause the V-Rod don't sell as well! ;) The 2-valve Guzzis will still have their place in the model line-up: this new 4-valve is just a much-needed update of Umberto Todero's Hi-Cam engine to make it more reliable & lower maintenance, while still keeping it an easy psychological leap for the faithful Guzzisti to make [esp. for those on the sporting side of the aisle!] In less than 2 years from the takeover, it's too soon for Piaggio to have done all the development work on this: it had to be already in process when Aprilia foundered. I'm happy to see it made it to light of day!

Reply to this Topic
ROBBIE61

Jun 06

ROBBIE61 says:

Griso 8V: The Answer To A Question That Nobody Asked?

I own a Griso 1100 and bought it for what it 'said on the tin' - It is not without fault: Slightly awkward rearsets, versus wide bars, poor paint on the frame rails and mirros replaced under warranty.Otherwise a fine bike. To give context: this is my 60th large capacitiy bike and I have ridden at least one example of EVERY large manufacturer's current ranges. If you want ultimate power and consistent running, throughout the temperature range - You cannot escape the reality of watercooling...Even Eric Buell has conceded! Even an 8v Guzzi is not going to kick the butt of say an Aprilia Tuono,KTM Super Duke; But may match the HD VRSC range? Back to 'Air cooled': BMW's higher-powered Boxer engines are effective, but they lose-out in any charm offensive (I have an ridden the HP2 and R1200S). Guzzi should learn from HD -Don't play the power game and stick to satisfying the 'free-thinkers' that make-up your true buyer profile. I disagree that the existing 1100 has a 'crap gearbox' or adverse shaft reaction: But concede it might feel that way if you have mostly ridden chain-driven machines(My other bike's an RSV and they are sooo different!) It is no worse than any BMW I have owned/ridden and the 'new' Giso will retain the existing 'CARC' system and probably the gearbox too? I wish Guzzi success with this bike and enjoyed reading the comment others have left on this topic. I accept that Guzzi need to move forward and please don't perceive my comments as 'sour grapes' I am about to buy a 'Morini Corsaro' and I'm sure that that too will 'set the cat amongst the pigeons"...At least it cannot be accused of lacking power! Considering an 1100? Buy nearly new(like me), ditch that silencer and enjoy; even if it can't quite reach double the national speed limit. All the best Stephen Robbie

Reply to this Topic
Bernie

Aug 02

Bernie says:

Just waiting to try.....

the new Griso. Having ridden the Sport 1200 the only real downside was a lack of real grunt.The 8V prom ises much more. Initial test report in MCN suggests thay the 8V now goes like it should. No sports bike power etc., etc., but as a fast road machine, eminently so. Modern Guzzis seem far better on quality and ooze that which Japanese bikes have still not captured, character. If the 8V delivers what the initial resports suggest I'll be happy to give one a home. 

Reply to this Topic
gizzabreak

Apr 07

gizzabreak says:

Griso ownership

I have owned my 4V Griso for two years now and love it.

I did think recently that I might fancy a change, and had a go on the new CB1000R.

Great bike - more agile, faster and of course smoother than the Guzzi, but despite all that, I remained unconvinced.

When I got back, the salesman convinced me to try their B-King demo bike.

Better, but something just wasn't there that my Griso had.

When I got back on my Griso, everything felt right again.

I'm 46 now, and have been riding bikes without a break since I was 18.

Up until 2 years ago when I bought the Guzzi, every bike I have owned has been Japanese - mainly in line fours of some description or another.

I don't think I will ever go back to a Japanese bike now.

Nuff said.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices