You are in... Forums > General > General > D.S.A test

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

reddwytch

Nov 07

reddwytch says:

D.S.A test

Saw this in the Telegraph today about the new Theory Test (for motorists)

On September 15 we published one of the new questions from the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) theory test for learner drivers: When approaching a tunnel it is good advice to:

Put on your sunglasses.
Check tyre pressures.
Change to a lower gear.
Tune your radio to a local channel.

Passing the £28.50 test could depend on choosing the "correct" answer, which is to retune your radio. But reader Adrian Carey was as puzzled as we were. The Highway Code (see Section 148) warns against such distractions, and even if you know the local radio frequency you can't receive the signal in a tunnel.

Mr Carey's correspondence with the DSA has failed to produce an explanation, although the following was received from a man in the policy department: Dear Mr Carey, I apologise for your difficulty getting this question answered. I will forward your email onto the Head of Correspondence for DSA. However, even though it is not my domain, I believe I know the answer. The requirement for this Theory Test question comes from an EU Directive.

The background is that DSA was asked to do this after the St Gothard and Mont Blanc tunnel fires in the late 1990s, in which a number of people lost their lives. After this, radio transmitters were placed in road traffic tunnels. If a driver were to tune their radio to the correct frequency, they would be warned of any fires or other dangerous occurrences in tunnels. This is because drivers may not be able to get out of tunnels in time if they were not forewarned.

The contradiction between the Highway Code and this question is because we have few, if any, road traffic tunnels in the UK, and it is more a Continental concern.

So now we know. Thank goodness the DSA is working hard to improve British driving standards. Perhaps we should also install speed cameras at Britain's "few, if any" tunnels* and fine anyone who exceeds the limit while fiddling with the radio in search of Smashey and… (white noise to fade).

For the DSA's benefit, UK road tunnels exceeding 1km include: Mersey Queensway (3,237m), Mersey Kingsway (2,438m), Limehouse Link (1,800m), Thames Rotherhithe (1,705m), Tyne (1,645m), Thames Dartford (1,436m), A1(M) Hatfield (1,400m), Thames Blackwall North (1,362m), Thames Blackwall
End Quote.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (04 December 2007 18:10)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
grimreaperjx

Sep 07

grimreaperjx says:

theory

i passed both car n bike one with new 50 questions n some of the questions were easy but some were questionable.  My advice is swot like hell, test yourself a million times then you pass first time, good luck to anyone doing it soon. jx

Reply to this Topic
The Black Duke

Nov 07

ferkin hell

WOW. I love the EU their so f%*&£ing funny.

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Yeah!!!!!  As funny as dog shit on your top lip!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
The Black Duke

Nov 07

To True

Your so right bud.:lol:

Reply to this Topic
murphit

Nov 07

murphit says:

Must

change my beloved Max for a goldwing or BMW or some such other so that I can have and hear the fecking radio, stuff that batman.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices