Skip to content

News Bikers to go free over Southampton bridge on their motorcycles Consumer news

You are in... Forums > News > Consumer news > Bikers to go free over Southampton bridge on their motorcycles

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

the_moosden

Jul 06

the_moosden says:

Bikers to go free over Southampton bridge on their motorcycles

After 16 years of tolls, bikers can now cross the Itchen Bridge in Southampton without paying for their travels. Southampton council currently charge 20 pence for motorcyclists crossing the bridge. But after much lobbying from the Southampton Motorcycle Action Group the council has decided to scrap the charge from as early as next year (2008), although they will lose £20,000 a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (23 December 2007 10:13)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dontknow17

Sep 07

dontknow17 says:

good good

same concept as the congestion charges, except this time we bikers got our own way! ride on! i live 3 miles fromn itchin bridge, and i dont mind paying the toll its just an absolute nightmare to dig out 20 pence from the leathers and at the end of the day, its only 20p so i cant see how the council will lose £20000 from it. must be about 5 or 6 bikes use it every day. so i make that about £365.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Excellent move..

..Southampton, lets see more pro-bike initiatives in 2008 folks..

Reply to this Topic
Bill-the-Fish

Oct 07

Not yet free of charge!

Good news, though it hasn't actually happened yet. I queried this with the Council, after getting caught out.  I was expecting it to be free, but no, so gloves off, bike on stand, open box & get wallet out, pay 20p, wallet into box, gloves on, bike off stand, and away, whilst a huge queue of traffic built up behind.

Email text from the bridge manager "A proposal has been put forward for the toll of 20 pence to be withdrawn. However, the proposal has to go to cabinet for a decision and as yet this has not happened. It is unfortunate that some reports in the media have not been accurate and led to the belief that the decision had already been made." 

So make sure you still have 20p readily available if you use the bridge!

Cheers - Bill.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices