Skip to content

News Nick Sanders continues on Dakar route Other

You are in... Forums > News > Other > Nick Sanders continues on Dakar route

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

robhull

Oct 05

robhull says:

Nick Sanders continues on Dakar route

Despite the cancellation of the 2008 Dakar Rally for fears of terrorist attacks en route, Nick Sanders and 35 paying bikers have continued their tour to Timbuktu. The original plan was to follow some of the route of the Dakar, however with the rally raid being called off Sanders has decided to continue the guided tour alone. Sanders told MCN: “The security...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (15 January 2008 17:45)

Post a message in Other

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Captain Chaos in Timbuktu

I really wish people would do a little research about a subject before going to print and not take one source of info as gospel. Nick Sanders, aka Capt Chaos, claims in the advertising of his trips to Tb2 that those going on the trip will have lots of contact with the Dakar Rally riders. In the past he has even suggested that the group he leads will share the Dakar riders camps in the desert. It is a load of tosh. Last year the only time we saw the Dakar rally riders is when we chanced upon then on the road. Twice it was said that ' the Dakar riders will pass 100 - 200m from here and we can watch then go by.' On both occassions it was nonsense.

A few days into last years trip to Tb2 Capt Chaos also announced that, because of terrorist activity, we couldn't go to Tb2 and he tried to fob the group off with going to Dakar to see the end of the rally. It was made clear to him that that wasn't going to happen so he had to rethink.

As an organiser Capt Chaos deserves the name he acquired during last years trip. His basic planning was lacking ( how does a 500 mile journey ending with a trip across the desert in the dark sound, or a proposed day trip of several hundred miles along desert roads) and his day to day management was a shambles bordering on dangerous. His one and only 'guide' was nothing of the sort resulting in riders being left behind and having to find their own way to the stopover by whatever means possible. I'm told that at one point there was as much as 500 miles between the first rider and the Capt who was driving the support truck. Did I mention that almost the entire support crew pissed off and left the Capt.? Most of them before he even got to Tb2.

Before you print anything based on info from Nick Sanders you should check it out. On the trip last year it soon became obvious that we shouldn't believe anything Capt Chaos said unless we could verify it from another source. He told 'porkies' to us on a number of occassions and as he even had the nerve to tell a few 'untruths' before a judge I'm sure that he wouldn't hesitate of doing the same to you or anyone else.

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Capt Chaos in Timbuktu

Rob. I have just read your article about Capt Chaos' ( aka Nick Sanders) latest trip to Tb2 and I would like to clarify a few points.

Re ' his last journey to Timbuktu was a success'. CC entered Morocco with 24 riders and 6 support staff intent on getting to Tb2. I think that I am correct in stating that he left Morocco with 5 riders, of which only 4 were still on bikes, and 2 support staff. Himself and the photographer. The drivers/mechanics left him at Bamako before he even got to Tb2 taking one of the support vehicles with them. CC didn't ride to Tb2 and back at all. He drove the support truck from Bamako onwards so it was 'interesting' to read in various motorcycle publications that he led the riders to Tb2 as, in reality, he was tail end charlie. The only success was that the riders got themselves there. On the way back the guide just rode off and left the group somewhere after Mopti so, more than before, the riders were on their own. I don't suppose for one moment that Capt Chaos made that clear to the press.

Re the al-Qaeda links to the murder of the French tourists. I was in Tb2 at Christmas and watched the local tv coverage of the shooting so I have info from another source. I also met a English guy who passed through that part of Mauritania shortly after the killings. From those sources I would suggest that the murders were the result of a violent theft. The unfortunate family had just taken money out of the bank and they were followed and robbed. Not many people have AK47's over here but in other parts of the world it is a different story.

Re good roads and sandy hazards. The photo on the bottom right shows part of the road Capt Chaos planned to do huge mileage on in one day. If memory serves the actual figure was something like 840 miles. As you can see the road is covered in sand drifts and I can assure you that there were areas much worse than this.

Incidently. When it was pointed out to CC that we would be crossing the Sahara during the Sahel ( windy season) he just said " What difference does that make." Obviously he hadn't experienced a sandstorm or thought of what to do should his paying customers get caught in one.

Finally. Looking at the map printed in MCN it appears that CC is planning to take the same route as he did last year. He was warned last year that the road to Nema was notorious for hold up and muggings but he ignored the warnings and went anyway. I think that I am right in saying that the French tourist were murdered at Aleg and the Nema road passes through there. Nuf said.

I sincerely hope that every rider gets to Tb2 and fulfils their dream. I also hope that they get home safely as the back up provided by Capt Chaos last year was abysmal. This resulted in riders having to get themselves to an airport and pay for their flight home from Mali as Capt Chaos didn't have the support vehicles necessary to provide the service people had paid for.  

Reply to this Topic
monkeyboy9364

Jan 08

Timbuktu

Were you one of the riders that made it all the way?

Reply to this Topic
SPURVIS

Jan 08

SPURVIS says:

Timbuktu...

...my dad is on this years trip and they made it to Timbuktu on Sunday(20th)!

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Capt Chaos in Timbuktu

For monkeyboy9364: No I didn't get to Tb2 with Capt Chaos. We 'parted company' at Tan Tan southern Morocco. The manner in which we parted company was the subject of a court case - which I won.

For SPURVIS: I'm really pleased your Dad made it to Tb2. I was there at Christmas and it's not a spectacular place to go to but its a great destination to journey to. I'm sure that your Dad will have lots of tales to tell and I'm sure that the trip will have been far better organised that last year as Jim and Paul were to have more say in the logistics.

I'm looking forward to hearing from friends who are on the trip and find out how they got on.

Reply to this Topic
Tb2Rider

Jan 08

Tb2Rider says:

TB2

Hey El Jenko, Really enjoyed your "Wanted", or more precisely "Not Wanted" posters on the ferry to TB2 as well as in the various strategic points in TB2. I'm afraid the Captain wasn't quite so impressed and removed them with vigour:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Capt Chaos in Timbuktu

Ey up Tb2rider. I really don't what you are refering to. Posters? What posters? But I'm really glad Captain Chaos was wound up. I hear he was arrested in Tb2. I wish I had been there to see that.

Geordie Paul tells me that this trip was better organised than the one last year. I suspect that Jim had something to do with that.

Congratulations for getting to Tb2. You did well.

Reply to this Topic
Tb2Rider

Jan 08

Tb2Rider says:

TB2

Yes he was detained in TB2, riders should have been advised to carry Carnets at all times, which apparently is the law in Mali, the local plod made an inspection and found most riders did not have the documents due to being advised to carry as little as possible on the road from Doentza to Timbuktu, therefore passports and keys of all bikes were seized until a fine was paid. The poster was a referral to the posters that were plastered all over TB2 and on the ferry's with a photo of the man himself and the caption "Not Wanted, No Reward, Captain Chaos" intriguing as to who put these up, it did crack a smile on most of the riders faces however. I must say, that the ride to TB2 was not overly difficult, with some of us having quite limited riding experience. Camaraderie and morale were very high on this trip, but I must admit organisation and expectation management was lacking to say the very least.

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Capt Chaos in Tb2

Well I wonder who put those posters up? Did you see the one on the fridge door of the roadside drinks-shop between Doentza and Tb2?

If you think the organising and management of this years trip was lacking then you would have been surprised how bad it was last year. It seems CC has learnt something from last year. ie let someone else organise it. Jim went all the way this year and that would have made a huge difference.

Having been there last year CC knew that there were police check-points on the road between Doentza and Tb2 so should have made sure everyone had their carnets. Knowing him he probably didn't even have his own.

Did Capt Chaos fly back with you or is he riding back? Thinking about he will probably be back already to go to the London show. I wonder if there will be any 'Unwanted' posters mysteriously appearing on his stall. ( Que the Mutley snigger. )

Reply to this Topic
cyke

Feb 08

cyke says:

El Jenko

You sound like a sad person with Sour Grapes mate. Get a life ! I have riden with Nick many times and his idea of touring is to "Do It Yourself" so now I and many others are not afraid to go it alone and see where the road takes us. Thanks for that Nick. Yea he is 'disorganized' but his 'tours' are a teaching exercise NOT a poncy sight seeing tour. El Jenko, climb back under your mothers apron and quit whinging. Are you a REAL biker or just play at it ?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle