Skip to content

News Nick Sanders continues on Dakar route Other

You are in... Forums > News > Other > Nick Sanders continues on Dakar route

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

robhull

Oct 05

robhull says:

Nick Sanders continues on Dakar route

Despite the cancellation of the 2008 Dakar Rally for fears of terrorist attacks en route, Nick Sanders and 35 paying bikers have continued their tour to Timbuktu. The original plan was to follow some of the route of the Dakar, however with the rally raid being called off Sanders has decided to continue the guided tour alone. Sanders told MCN: “The security...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (15 January 2008 17:45)

Post a message in Other

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Tb2Rider

Jan 08

Tb2Rider says:

TB2

I would tend to agree that Nicks do-it-yourself approach to touring does get you out of your comfort zone and forces you to sort things out for yourself, as a result I have certainly gained the confidence to take on any trip, regardless of where it is in the world, something that I would have never contemplated before the trip. Where I would have criticism, is with Nicks expectation management, for example, on occasions you never knew if you had a hotel room when you arrived at your destination, which can be a pain in the a** when you have just finished a days hard riding, now I would have no problem with this, if it was explained up front and a list of alternative accommadations provided that you could sort out for yourself. Part of my preparation for the trip was to learn French to a competent level in order to be able to mix with the locals as well as sort problems out for myself, what f**ked me off was arriving to find that nothing was organised when it was too late to do anything about it, Nick has acknowledged this and I hope that this will be addressed for next years riders. As regards your comments on El Jenko, I think that you are being a little harsh, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I agree and disagree with some of your points in the same way as I agree and disagree with El Jenko's point of view, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we all have different opinions on these tours and I'm interested in hearing all of them. 

Reply to this Topic
cyke

Feb 08

cyke says:

Tb2

I spoke to Nick at the NEC about the Tb2 trip he told me there that he had had problems with 1 rider who apparently started on an older Beemer that was just not up to the trip. They rider was said to have been telling the other riders that Nick had no intention of getting to Tb2. So Nick sent him home with the Morocco group. The back up truck drivers also had only signed on at the last minute and could only do 3 weeks becuase of work commitments, so again Nick took over the driving from then on. El Jenko says only 5 riders went all the way. If he has seen the DVD he could see that there were 11 plus Nick, Dave (photographer) and Jason (guide). Everyone who has been on one of Nicks Journeys (they are not TOURS) would happily tell any prospective rider just what to expect and they're not hard to find. Hotels! in north Africa? Nah! the two don't go together. I agree though a bed at the end of a days riding is always good. I look forward to seeing more of the Paralell World trip though. Isn't that what this discussion should be about?

Reply to this Topic
Tb2Rider

Jan 08

Tb2Rider says:

TB2

I think this years trip probably went a lot smoother than last years, judging by the various stories I've been hearing since, to be honest, besides the confusion over accommodation (and that was only on a couple of nights max), the trip was great, again, it was really down to the personalities of the riders that took part, every one of 'em were top lads, morale was always high and you could always depend on somebody to give you a leg up when you weren't feeling too clever, which I can assure you was quite a few occasions for me.  I've ridden in quite a few countries with a lot of different people, but it was a total privilege to be in the company of this years group, if this wasn't the case on last years trip, then that was a real shame as it's the people around you who will make or break a trip like this. 

Reply to this Topic
AVicker

Feb 08

AVicker says:

Nick Sanders

I think El Jenko has an axe to grind with Nick and is using this website as a loud hailer to express his own personal feelings and this should be taken with a “pinch of salt”! I had the privilege of riding New York – Alaska – New York and the Edge of the Sahara with Nick. No not everything went to plan and yes there were times when the miles and days were longer than what they should have been. If all went to plan on this type of journey you would be very lucky! Elspeth, Jason and Marco who acted as back up crew on my trips were excellent and gave me the confidence I needed when times were hard. You have many personalities riding together on these tours that in the normal world you just wouldn’t get on with, however you make the best of what you are given and get on with it. Nick is unique in the way he approaches life and yes sometimes it can lead to frustration. Would I go on another trip? Yes without hesitation.

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Axe to grind for Nick Sanders

Ey up. I have been away for a while and now I'm back I'll put a few facts straight.

AVicker is right to suggest that I have an axe to grind but is wrong if he thinks that everything I say should be taken with a 'pinch of salt'. Capatin Chaos would dearly like to take me to court so I am very careful about what I write here. Everything I say is true and can be proved to be so. More than can be said about CC.

So you went on the NY-Alaska-NY trip with CC. On another forum I read that on one of these trips the group didn't get to Alaska and a rider had a very nasty accident in which he sustained severe back injuries. If you know who this guy is I would like to contact him so all info gratefully received.

You mention Elspeth and Marco. They were also supposed to be guides on last years Tb2 trip but they didn't show up. To the best of my knowledge CC didn't offer any explanation as to why not.

Yes I am using this forum as a loud hailer. Isn't that what forums such as these are for. Nick Sanders gives misleading info when advertising his tb2 trip and in one aspect he tells a blatant lie. On last years trip we began to doubt things he was telling us and after checking it out we had good reason to do so. Nick Sanders has a strange idea of the meaning of truth and in one of the court hearings we had to sort out our differences he even lied to the Judge. Personally I wouldn't believe anything he said unless I could verify it from another source. ( Captain.If you are reading this and are thinking about court action then don't bother as I have hard evidence to back up everything I say.)

The reason I have posted this info is to make people aware of the reality about trips with Nick Sanders. All is not as he says it is. If people still choose to go on one of his trips then fine. At the end of the day it is you and your bike that gets you to where you are going and you meet some great people along the way. I know I did.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Reply to Tb2rider

You are right when you suggest that this years trip was better organised than last years. I know someone who went on both and he confirms that to be so.

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

Reply for cyke

Cyke. As usual Nick's version of events is in dispute. I purposely chose to take an early BM GS because I think the technology is better suited to Africa. Riders of new BM's learnt the hard way about how easy it is to fix failed electronics and how alloy frames take the battering of dirt roads. Bike not up to it. Behave! BM GS's have been going around the world for years and 'Canada Dave' showed that the bike was up to it by getting to Tb2 on the same model of BM as mine. I bet CC didn't tell you that.

I also bet the CC didn't tell you that, at Ait Ben Haddou, it was he himself who announced that we weren't going to Tb2. When he was told in no uncertain terms that we would be going to Tb2 with or without him CC had a rethink.

I stand by what I said that there were only 5 riders with CC when he left Morocco. Everyone else who went to Tb2 left CC for whatever reason. I have spoken to some of those people and I know what their reasons were. Not the sign of a happy group eh?

Not too long ago I worked as a logistics officer in central Afghanistan. I also worked in the Libyan desert a few years prior to that so I have experience of transporting people and equipment in a desert environment. In my opinion Nick Sanders was under resourced for the job in hand. Bear in mind that he was a 4x4 down from the intended plan and the truck drivers didn't intend to stay for the whole trip. I asked him to explain how he intended fulfilling his contracted obligations to the 24 people he had agreed to take to Tb2. For legal reasons I can't write here what he said but I was shocked. I used to admire Nick Sanders but after he uttered those words I dispised him. He knew this, probably suspected that I would try and stop him carrying out his'cunning plan' and I suggest that this, more than anything else, had a bearing at what happened a couple of days later.

As it turned out my fears were realised. Even with a severely 'pruned' group of riders CC didn't have the vehicles available to fulfill his commitments and two paying customers had to find their way to Bamako airport and pay for their own flight out of Mali. Nick Sanders didn't even take the guys to the airport. Unbelievable, but every word is true.

AVickers used the term ' take what he says with a pinch of salt'. Who do you think that applies to now?

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

More info for cyke

Nearly forgot. Did CC say why the truck drivers only signed on at the last minute. I didn't thnk so.

There was supposed to be a 4x4 Land Cruiser type vehicle owned and driven by RM going on the trip. I do know his name but he may not want it banded about. Another guy, TR, was supposed to be the 'Logistics Manager' and was to drive the support truck. I met both of these men and they were experienced and full of common sense. They had both arranged to bring friends to act as co-drivers. None of these 4 showed up at Lisbon at the start of last years trip. When I asked what had happened I was told that RM had had an asthma attack and TR had family trouble so they, and their friends couldn't come. I have spoken to TR about this and he laughed when I told him what was said. It was complete tosh.

I know exactly what happened but it is too long to relate here. The net result was that, on the day the bikes should have started the trip to Lisbon CC had an 'disagreement' with RM and TR. This led to CC telling RM and TR that he didn't want/need them, or their friends on the trip. Hence the two drivers who went being signed up at the last minute.

If RM had been there with his 4x4 then there would have been enough transport for the two who had to pay for them selves to get home. Why the hell they didn't sue CC as well I'll never know.

Reply to this Topic
panya

Jun 06

panya says:

Hi El Jenko

Been reading these pages with interest and i must say it all sounds very familiar. I don't doubt your story at all, in fact i could add much more... having been on a couple so called adventures. The first being a complete disaster, but i believe you can't always judge on one trip, but the second time was enough to decide this guy is not only blatantly dishonest, but also more worrying, his regard for riders safety and wellbeing is none existent ! Anyone undertaking a trip with him must be prepared to go it alone, which is ok if you have the experience... but any one who has surely wouldn't be daft enough to go with him anyway. Trouble is, he's an accomplished porky pie'r, and this draws in the novice rider who suddenly finds out the hard way. He tends to rely on other people during the trips to help, but once you give an inch, he takes a mile and before you know whats happening you end up practically running the job for him. I know of the guy injured on the Alaska trip, apparently trying to achieve on of CC's hairbrained schedules where he shouldn't have been riding in the dark. Needless to say, it happened in the dark ! Any more people reading these pages ? It would be interesting to hear from anyone with similar experiences.

Reply to this Topic
El Jenko

Jan 08

El Jenko says:

The truth about Nick Sanders

Ey up Panya.

At last! Someone who is prepared to stand up and tell the truth. I agree with you wholeheartedly about Nick's utter lack of concern for his paying customers. On the trip I went on I got the impression that his only concern about the riders was that he had some left to film so that he could sell the video. Unpaid extras is how I discribed us.

We had two riders badly injured on the trip I was on but Capt Chaos still claims that "In all my tours we have only had one bad accident and even then he suffered nothing more than a broken thumb."  That is a quote from his web page advertising his last trip and it is a blatant lie. I personally helped to pull a bike off someone with bones sticking through his arm on last years trip. I really wish that MCN, and every other publication for that matter, would check out the facts before printing anything that Nick Sanders tells them. Nick Sanders spins a good yarn and seems to 'forget' certain things and the reporters don't bother to check it out.

If you know how to get in contact with the guy who was injured on the Alaska trip I would be interested. I read that Nick Sanders wouldn't make a statement to help him make an insurance claim and so the poor sod lost out big time. He hasn't been able to work for years.

When I came back from last years trip with Capt. Chaos I made a few phone calls to find out why the original drivers didn't show up. After that I made a few more phone calls and it started to become obvious what Capt Chaos was really like. Obviously I can't say too much here but, having been on a couple of his tours, I'm sure you know what I mean. If his sponsors really knew what he was like I don't think that they would touch him with a barge pole. Yamaha and Hien-Gericke wouldn't like what he gets up to.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle