Skip to content

News Gallery: Triumph Thruxton special Specials & customs

You are in... Forums > News > Specials & customs > Gallery: Triumph Thruxton special

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Angus Farquhar  says:

Gallery: Triumph Thruxton special

Who needs the latest Japanese rocketship when British-built bikes can be as fun and fast as this. MCN man Michael Neeves got to ride this stunning Triumph Thruxton custom motorcycle from owner Robert Sutton and you can read his full roadtest in the January 16 edition of MCN, but in the mean time take a look at the gallery of photos...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (16 January 2008 12:51)

Post a message in Specials & customs

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ottouberswengen

Feb 09

customizing the Thruxton

OK, seeing there are NO comments up till now, let me add this to the empty page!

I am looking to buy the Thruxton, (or something like the SE and make it look like the Thruxton.)  However, I have found that there are not a lot of specialized custom-build & accessories readily available.  Of course I could go on the net and buy from the USA or somewhere like that, but in general terms, the Triumph Dealers are really behind the eight ball, when it comes to getting it "just right for you" if that means drifting from what they can sell you off the showroom floor!

For example, I especially like the cowl on the seat, which creates a single seater-look, but I would like the seat to be lower and more comfortable!  If I am still at the dealers at this point, I am out of options already because they just stock the standard items....and after they take your money and you take delivery of your bike, not a lot happens when you ask such questions!

I would also like the SE wheels and not the wired ones, because I HATE cleaning and want a minimum of it plus I consider that the alloys will make the bike "modern" or up-to-date...a matter of taste.

The rear wheel is the same as the SE, so I could have that (130/80/17), but the front wheel, if I want the alloy version from the SE on the Thruxton, will go from the 18" standard of the Thruxton to the 17" alloy of the SE.

Will this work?  Has anyone tried it?

Thirdly, I love the Thruxton looks, but will not entertain the idea of 1-2hrs in the "crouching tiger" position cause by the low bars. Fine if your afternoon is going around the Isle of Man or the Thruxton circuit, but I want my bike for THE ROAD EVERYDAY!....So I want a more upright seating position, a better seat and ditch the low-bars..  Of course by now the dealer has lost interest and moved on to the next customer, who just wants a plain SE or T100....wired wheels being not a problem!

Finally, I also want the front-wheel mud-guard in CHROME and longer in circumfrence so that the road-flick gets properly diverted.  Also the rear-wheel mud-guard, should be CHROMED.  By now, even though there are other things I would like, I can see that this Thruxton I have specified, is not about to happen anytime soon...

otto

Reply to this Topic
ThruxtonBandit

Jul 09

Hi, I read your comments and thought I might throw in my two pence. I own a thruxton '08, which had revised handlebars. I cant comment on previous year models but regarding the '08 Thruxton, I would say that they are comfortable in either fast (100mph) or town (30pmh) 'modes' of riding. However, you need to be in the correct riding possiton. cruising round town I sit further forward on the sadle and sit more up right. If you dont your wrists will ache like... well, they will ache a lot!

On the other hand, at high speed, you will want the bars lower after a while.

I also have found it difficult to get custom parts but I've seen lots of cool mods on the internet. let me know if you know any good sites/places in surrey/uk.

The Thruxton is a 60's inspired thing so if you want loads of chrome maybe a bonnie would be better for you... or have your Thruxton chromed. that would be easy enough..

I, personally, think you might be happier with a bonnie SE and make it look like a Thruxton... which wouldn be hard as they are fundamentally the same bike.

Anyway, if you know a good place where I can get a new head light (just need the glass really, although realize its a sealed unit) for my beloved Thruxton then I would be very greatfull. Asked at Jack Lillys and they wanted £150!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Trails.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices