Skip to content

News Triumph's new 1700 cruiser: What do you think? New bikes

You are in... Forums > News > New bikes > Triumph's new 1700 cruiser: What do you think?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

the_moosden

Jul 06

the_moosden says:

Triumph's new 1700 cruiser: What do you think?

In this weeks MCN we have exclusive spy shots of Triumph's 1700cc parallel-twin, designed to take on Harley Davidson at its own game. The motorcycle was spotted in Wales, in almost complete form, just missing a few Triumph Badges. Originally thought to be a 1500cc machine it looks like the engine has now been upped to 1700cc. Do you think this is a good move for Triumph?...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (23 January 2008 10:31)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
asphaltscraper

Aug 05

Not sold out

It would have seemed alien a few years ago to see such a bike come from Triumph. But the Rocket III has been around long enough now for us to be used to a gargantuan bike from them, although it hasn't seemingly cracked the US. It makes sense for Triumph to try and muscle in on the US cruiser market. I personally cant see it working because too many people put too much store in the "fabled" Hardly Ableson name for no reason other than, "Oh I have a Harley." Good on Triumph for trying. I live in the US now and "if" I ever got a crusier it would have to be a Triumph, I'd prefer the Triple over a big parallel twin though.

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

Nothing Special

I am not sure about Triumph's current thinking. The Street Triple, Daytona 675, Sprint ST and Rocket III are great unique bikes with the character of the in-line triple, even their current cruiser range looks like nothing else on the road, thus giving the Triumph badge a sense of character and uniqueness. But then you have talks of production moving to Asia and now this 1700cc bike above. Are they really taking on Harley or just taking sales away from the Jap 4 who have similar products. Cruisers are all about biggest is best or at least style. The 1700cc is far from the biggest and does not look to have much style. If you could afford a Harley then Victory is the only real competition, while this Triumph will get mixed up with all the rest and has allot to prove versus the superbike developed technology on the Jap 4 cruisers.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Not to judge...

...a book by its pre-release cover, but what is there about that design that screams `Triumph`..? Big sticky-up engines have been done to death since the heyday of Triumphs parallel twins and I can't help think that the proportions look all wrong for a stylish custom cruiser in the H-D mould. At first glance in the paper today I actually thought `EN500` - and that can't be good! But as with so many Triumph's coming from Hinckley, perhaps it's what the market and dealers can DO with the basic platform that will inform the sales success or failure. I wasn't convinced by the Bonnevilles when they were first released, but have to say that one of the best riding experiences I had last year was a lazy ride through the New Forest on a T100 so lets hope once its blinged and pimped, the cruiser can really show what it can do. Dynamically, bet it will piss on the Hardleys and the Vickys.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

What is it

aboput it's design that screams 'Triumph'......?...... he's looking for the kick-start (again.)!!

Reply to this Topic
triumphbonnevillet140v

Jun 05

More Junk

It looks like more heavy junk to me. Why don't Triumph make a proper twin cylinder motorbike. Even the Bonneville range is overweight. That bike is a straight-liner, for people who are scared of corners.

Reply to this Topic
ccrider77

Sep 03

ccrider77 says:

Waiting

I'll withhold judgment until I see the final production copy. The spy photos of test mules never do the machines justice. If the specs are right, it could be a moderate success in America but I don't think it will match the success of the new Bonnie, T100 or Thruxton in any way.

Reply to this Topic
spondonash

Sep 04

spondonash says:

more success

I think too many people link what THEY want or like to success. This bike doesn't really appeal to me but no doubt it will be more success for Triumph especially given that it will be entering into the huge booming cruiser market. I can see it selling well which really only needs to be a few 1000 as Triumph are a small manufacturer. Good on them, another winner I reckon.

Reply to this Topic
Dino55

Jan 08

Dino55 says:

the best new triumph

as a classic triumph owner and a harley owner i always thought that triumph needed a larger compasity twin silder and at last it looks like they've come up with one. so it looks like someone has woken up to the fact that a slightly smaller brother to the rocket 3 is needed in their product range. and it would be good computition to harley davidson. (if i had the spare readies i would be legging it to my nearist dealer ordering a fully dressed model).

Reply to this Topic
jmee54

Sep 07

jmee54 says:

Triumph 1700

I hope this isn't Triumphs final design because they couldn't have made it much uglier. The Harley "Cross Bones" !!! is only another revamp of an ancient design but it exudes style and attitude. The Triumph has the ugliest motor, exhaust and over all look of any new bike I've seen in a long time. Yuk!!!

Reply to this Topic
nigle

Sep 05

nigle says:

Triumph 1700

The weakest links in the current Triumph range are the undynamic America and Speedster. This looks far too similar to those overweight slugs. Triumph don,t have to fake Harleys. They actually produced the original factory custom in the X75 Hurricane.Triumph just need to junk the fakes and produce a modern lightweight version of the X75 with USD forks and sports brakes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices