Skip to content

Ask an Expert Loss of confidence. Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Loss of confidence.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Gizmo1967

Aug 03

Gizmo1967 says:

Loss of confidence.

I need some advice, last year I suffered two near misses, both on T-junctions and both on right turns, I'd done everything right, but I still nearly got wiped out and as a consequence my confidence has just vanished.

I went out shortly afterwards and when I came to a T junction and....  I completely bottled it, so I just turned left 3 times and went home, I kept getting my normally fluid gear changes wrong, nearly stalling & dropping the bike & I haven't ridden since, I want to ride, but just can't bring myself to do it, because I know that I'll have to do numerous right turns at T junctions.

I love riding, but I'm now thinking about giving up, is there anything I can do get my confidence back or should I just sell up & stop riding? :upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (25 January 2008 12:45)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Go out with a mate??

Or failing that try local training school and pay for a half day confidence booster course....

Good luck

Reply to this Topic
speedfight100

May 07

just a thought

Yellow fluresent vest make ya Very visable yea looks crap but drivers/bikers can see you better :)

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo1967

Aug 03

Gizmo1967 says:

Loss of confidence.

I'd like to but as I'm a shift worker, it's almost impossible to arrange a meet with my friends, also 1 has just stopped riding as he was nearly wiped out by a lorry and he just says that's enough, apparently that was his second very near miss and he's quitting whilst he still alive.

So I don't have any one to ride out with at the moment, so maybe your right shuggie I should arrange a half day out with an instructor to see if I can get my confidence back, if not then I guess there'll be a 07 plate ltd edition Gixxer 750 up for sale! :upset:

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Good luck, where are you?

You're one of the hidden profile gang...

Maybe some forum guys (or gals) are near, but where are you???????

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo1967

Aug 03

Gizmo1967 says:

Loss of confidence.

Near Newlands Corner, just off the A25.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Not far, I'm in Sutton....

Not sure it would help, but happy to meet - Box Hill car park next Sunday morning?? Failing that I often go for a spin and Newlands ain't any distance.

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo1967

Aug 03

Gizmo1967 says:

Loss of confidence.

Sorry, much as I'd like to I'm on a long run of work at the moment, I also have to prepare for an 8h exam to renew a type of driving licence, then go for a days simulator training, then I get two days off then a week of 0400-0500 starts, I'm tied up until at least Mid-February.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

repost if you want when time available

Sure dates can be fixed somehow...

Reply to this Topic
mrt502

Mar 06

mrt502 says:

Gaining Confidence

Gizmo,

Although I live a little further away from you than some others, I work from home so would be able to meet up to help pretty much anytime.

I went through a similar loss of confidence problem a few years ago.  I'd borrowed a mates bike (mine had been nicked) and a poorly fitted Scot Oiler was dripping over the back wheel instead of the chain.  Needless to say, after sliding down the road for 400yds with both legs trapped under the bike severely rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee it was quite some time before I was able to walk properly, let alone get back on a bike again.  The first time I got on a bike I was absolutely terrified and, like you, couldn't get anything right.

With some help from friends, perseverance and a realisation that going out on a bike is what had been keeping me sane, I a lot better now.  Not perfect yet, but certainly getting there.

Anyway, drop me a line and we'll see what we can do about meeting up.

TTFN

MRT502

Reply to this Topic
Gizmo1967

Aug 03

Gizmo1967 says:

Loss of Confidence.

I'd love to get out and about, but I've now been laid up with Chicken Pox!  :upset:

Damned 41 and Chicken Pox! I get a week with reasonable weather and stuffed! :mad::mad::mad:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices