You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Events > Motorcyclists ride for Fred Hill

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

the_moosden

Jul 06

the_moosden says:

Motorcyclists ride for Fred Hill

150 members of the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) rode from the Ace Café to Pentonville Prison in memory of helmet law campaigner Fred Hill on Sunday February 10. 2007 Fred Hill memorial ride Fred Hill died February 10 1984 after serving 31 prison sentences for his refusal to wear a motorcycle helmet while riding his motorcycle. Fred Hill died from heart failure...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (12 February 2008 12:30)

Post a message in Events

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
monkeyseemonkeydo

Jul 06

Umm...

Am I the only one that thinks that wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike is actually quite a good idea? I think it's stupid to ride in anything less than full gear with all the dangerous arseholes on our roads today... Respect to this chap for standing up for his beliefs but to be fair I really disagree with them!!

Reply to this Topic
wildtinsey

Feb 06

wildtinsey says:

fred hill comment

I quite agree monkey i wont ride my bike unless i have all my gear on. I cant believe people just wear tshirts and shorts on motorbikes in the summer its insane.

Reply to this Topic
eviscera

Apr 07

eviscera says:

Fred Hill runs

are not just about the helmet law. Firstly, MAG is not anti-helmet. Secondly the runs are about the right to choose. So if you want to wear your helmet, that's fine. It's not just about your right to choose to wear a helmet, though, it's your right to choose what sort of clothing you might wear on a bike, what sort of bike you ride, and everything like that which might otherwise be defined by law.

Reply to this Topic
monkeyseemonkeydo

Jul 06

ok, but...

I hear what you're saying eviscera but the fact is that the government *don't* impose any restriction other than the helmet (although, of course, public decency comes into play at some point ;-) ). I'm all for MAG but is it worth fighting for the right to be a fool and get yourself killed by not wearing a helmet?! I'd say that law is one of the country's more sensible compulsory measures... each to their own I guess.

Reply to this Topic
eviscera

Apr 07

eviscera says:

not just the helmet law

As I said this isn't just against the helmet law, it's against wider compulsion to wear safety clothing etc. In the past the government has tried or suggested trying to legislate on what items of clothing we should wear, so you might be forced to wear specific gloves, boots, etc. Also more generally it is against a lot of the measures that the government tried to introduce, such as bumpers for bikes, front registration plates and leg protection on the sides of bikes (big fairings that might trap a rider in a crash). These have all been put forward in the interests of safety but are not always actually safe, and MAG believes these are down to the individual's choice. Very few people want to ride without a helmet these days, but not many of the people I have spoken to wish to be compelled to wear specific protective clothing when they can choose. You can probably find this better explained on the MAG website www.mag-uk.org if you search for Fred Hill.

Reply to this Topic
HoboPeter

Mar 09

HoboPeter says:

Fred Hill fought for freedom of choice for all. He thought it was unfair when Sikhs became exempt. I would like to see a memorial to him, perhaps where he lived in Hayes Middlesex.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices