Skip to content

Discuss This Push bikes should get separate traffic lights, columnist claims Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Push bikes should get separate traffic lights, columnist claims

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Michael J Carroll

Feb 08

Push bikes should get separate traffic lights, columnist claims

Cyclists should be given their own set of traffic lights that change 5-10 seconds ahead of the main lights because of the danger posed to push-bikers by motorcyclists and other road users, a columnist in the Independent says. James Daley has made the call for separate lights on the basis that Advanced Stop Lines, the boxes for cyclists that sit...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (06 March 2008 11:23)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
muthaf9cka

Jan 06

muthaf9cka says:

Huh!

More traffic lights for them to ignore...

Reply to this Topic
Ziri

Feb 08

Ziri says:

I suppose they'll be charging cyclists road tax then.

Oh wait that can't be right, it must be law abiding vehicle users that will foot the bill.

Reply to this Topic
bobbyspiller

Jun 04

bobbyspiller says:

motorbikes/bikes

I'm getting real sick of this sh*t. My daily travel in London is by pushbike. My passion is motorbikes and I sometimes use them in the city. I do not mind motorbikes using the traffic light zones or buslanes. That's common sense. I DO mind being carved up or stuck behind motorbikes in the cycle lanes themselves. I DO mind cycling tossers who speed through reds and ride on the pavement without due regard for people's safety. W*nkers on both sides of this issue should think about their behaviour on the roads and then stop generalising about the other group. MCN journalists/cycling lobbyists included. Work together for the common good you half-witted idiots.

Reply to this Topic
aenikata

Sep 06

aenikata says:

I'd actually support allowing cyclists to go slightly earlier, but 10 seconds would just be too much and would slow traffic further. Why not just say that they're perfectly allowed to go on Red+Amber if it's safe? On motorcycles in advance stop signs, he's apparently failed to consider that when trying to avoid conflict with other road users, jostling to get back into lane when traffic is moving can be more dangerous than moving into an empty advance stop line, so safety and visibility are major factors prompting the use of these areas. I would, however, support either a double advance stop, to give some additional space for cyclist, or more sensibly perhaps a split advance stop - so motorbikes are only allowed in the right-hand half, leaving a space clear for cyclists, while also providing a safety measure for motorbikes. Keeping each on one side or the other would hopefully reduce the conflict when moving away from the lights. A little marker painted to divide the advance stop section and you're good to go, rather than adding new and expensive lights and slowing all other traffic down.

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

I commute every day into central London on the train and then walk to my place of work. I am regularly nearly run over on an almost daily basis by ignorent cyclists. As has already been said, this will just give them something else to completely ignore. I know usually that it's a minority that cause a problem, but in this case I can honestly say it's the majority of cyclists in central London that just do what they like . Clearly the cycle boxes don't work as pretty much everyone of them gets filled with either a car or bike (I even saw 2 motorcycle cops using one yesterday).

Reply to this Topic
Panda13

Nov 07

Panda13 says:

Who Pays?

Perhaps cyclists can start paying road tax and 3rd party insurance - far too much preferential treatment already and now separate lights!!

Reply to this Topic
studownie

Sep 06

studownie says:

cyclists

I was about to have a rant when I read bobbyspillers comment and found he'd already said it all. So I wont bother now.

Reply to this Topic
studownie

Sep 06

studownie says:

cyclists

I was about to have a rant when I read bobbyspillers comment and found he'd already said it all. So I wont bother now.

Reply to this Topic
mac'o'bolton

Mar 08

mac'o'bolton says:

Think about it....

Every cyclist and his dog racing to the front of a que of traffic for his 10 seconds of glory... hmmm... Do wonders for you've been framed material...

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

More..

..So called "road furniture" will just make it all more chaotic. Keep it simple please, we have too many signs & poorly marked roads as it is in London without adding to the mess..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices