You are in... Forums > General > General > Air-cooled vs. water cooled

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

Air-cooled vs. water cooled

I am a newbie as far as motorcycling is concerned, but I have been bitten by the bug and I am already thinking of trading in my Yamaha YBR125 for a bigger bike.  I've been looking at the BMW R1200R because I think it really looks great.

The problem (or is it?) is that it is air-cooled and I've read somewhere that the trend is now towards water cooled bikes.  Even Harley are moving that way now.

But I think water cooled bikes with a huge radiator showing are as ugly as sin!!  My question is:  Are air-cooled bikes a bad idea particularly since I live in a very hot climate?

Feedback would be most appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (20 March 2008 14:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
52BlackShadow

Jun 03

True Ian......................

You may be surprised how well a 650 would handle long trips.  It all depends what you expect from it.  If you want to speed along at 150 mph all day then get a biggie, but if you want to trickle along at 70 or 80 mph a 650 would be fine for that.

Try a few and then decide what to buy.

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
52BlackShadow

Jun 03

Ian..................................

Sorry Ian, I lumped the GSXr 1000 in with bigguns, my point was if you want to ride that fast continuously then there's no point getting the F650 BMW, but if you just want to tickle along at 70 or 80 all day then a little single or twin may well be enough.

Ride safe,

Shad.

Sorry, just realised where the confusion came in, I answered your question in the heading then stuck a comment to the original question below it.  Never intended any slight to the GSXr 1000, a great bike, often owned by mediocre riders!

Shad.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MrHarlequin

Aug 02

MrHarlequin says:

Can I just point out

That not all GSXR 1000s are owned by mediocre riders.

I don't have one and I'm mediocre.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Roadtorque

Jul 07

Roadtorque says:

??????????

Do you want a bike just to look good?, or do you want a bike for the pleasure it gives?. ,,,From what I remember of Malta & unless the roads have altered a lot over the last 10yrs a 1200 is way over the top, a good 600/650 would be better suited your island & give you far more riding fun, To be perfectly honest to jump from a 125 to a 1200 is just asking for trouble, but it's your life, & how short you want to make it is up to you.

Reply to this Topic
censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

??????????

There is obviously a clash of cultures here.  Britishers seem to link the road conditions to high powered motorbikes.  It is true: Malta does not stretch from Leeds to Pudsey but it does not stop the country from having the highest per capita ownership of Ferraris in the world (and there are 400,000 of us).

There is more to owning a bike than just hurtling down the motorway at 250km/h.  Life endangerment is a function of stupidity, not how powerful the bike is.  It is really up to the rider to ride safely. 

Anyway, Malta is 90 minutes away from Italy by ferry.  I've already driven up and down the Italian peninsula by car several times.  I'd like to do it on a bike now.  Even then, 130km/h on the autostrada is good enough for me.  I just wanted to know whether a 650 can take it.

Incidentally, is the tank range of the BMW an issue here? I now realise that the tank only holds 9.5 litres of fuel compared to 19 litres for a comparable Honda.

Thank you all for the feedback

Reply to this Topic
bimmerman

Aug 02

bimmerman says:

Both air-cooled

and water-cooled will be fine for touring in Europe. I've been two-up touring on a CBX550 in my lardy youth; middle weight bikes will handle it fine, but if you want larger, go larger. As you rightly indicate, tank range and comfort are going to be important considerations if you're going touring, and you can tour on anything from a trailie to a sports bike. You can also take sports and sports-tourers places they weren't meant to go (you just have to be a bit more gentle with them) so even the worst Maltese roads shouldn't be an issue for these bikes either. Ultimately, try a load and see which feel most comfortable, meet your requirements and make you want to ride. Some bikes are fantastic to look at and/or have great engines, but are pigs to live with. Others might not seem that appealing at first, but let you do the riding that you want and don't put a large hole in your wallet. Ask around, get lots of feedback and get test rides. Let us know what you get.

Reply to this Topic
censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

Both air-cooled

Thanks.  I'll try to keep you posted.  It will be hard for me getting test rides though.  Most importers here won't have any models available for test rides and the first time you can get some feeling of the bike you ordered will be when it is evemttually delivered.  This is why I have to rely on you guys for some advice.

Thanks once more.

Reply to this Topic
censuwine

Mar 08

censuwine says:

BMW R1200R

I am resuscitating a conversation that has been dormant for two years.  Most of you guys advised against jumping from a Yamaha YBR 125 straight onto the BMW R1200R - so this is what I did.  I went out and bought myself a Triumph America 865cc 54bhp and 226 kgs dry weight.  I've lived with it for 15 months now and tomorrow its new owner is coming to pick it up.

Come on guys, have I bridged the gap now?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle