You are in... Forums > General > General > Failed test on DSA

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Failed test on DSA

I spent the whole of the Easter weekend doing my direct access with Terry at Metropolis (think part Albert Steptoe, part Mother Teresa...) and yesterday I took my test at the centre out near Esher. And failed.

Proper failed - 4 serious marks (1 is a fail!).  3 were becase I didn't spot the right speed - did 20 in a 30 zone, 40 in a 30 zone... three times!  The last was not looking properly and pulling out in front of a Merc on the the dual carrigeway and made him break. Actually, he beeped his horn and made gestures at me so I knew I'd failed then and there.

However.... and this is the bit where I'm starting to feel a bit more hopeful... I got relatively few maks apart from that. I had good control of the bike throughout and he was perfectly happy with my riding. Not bad for someone who took his CBT three weeks ago and doesn't have a bike, so all my learining was done over the last 5 days.

I've got my next test on the 10th in Chingford and I'll hire a 125 from raceways and spend the weekend before going through the various routes that they have up on the DSA website.

Now, after riding in the weather we've had in London the last few days (hail, snow, rain, wind & sun) I'm looking forward to letting my hands regain thier normal shape before I get on a bike again!

Here's hoping for the next one...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (26 March 2008 10:33)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
grandad1

Feb 08

grandad1 says:

Passing Test

Is just the start, you have to ride as per the book on that day. Once you pass then the more seriouse side of motorcycling comes into play.
Your life is in your hands, if you dont do it right all the time, trouble is lurking just around the next courner, T junction,  in fact anywhere that you ride

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Mysterious speed signs

Hi,

How did I miss so many speed signs?  Well, I didn't want to go into this as it would sound like I'm making excuses, but the area around Esher is a bugger - some bits are 20 some are 30.  40 signs are obvious, but one stretch of road will have a worn 30 on the road, the next speed sign will be a neon thing next to the bus stop. My instruction did say that he's never seen a test area so riddled with difficult to gauge speed areas.

I ended up doing 20 in a 30 zone. 30 in a 40 zone, and 40 in a 30 zone.  Three occasions.

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

-

Got followed by a cop once doing a ton. Was the early hours of the morning and he said why didnt I see him and slow down a bit.

He said he wasnt going to prosecute so I had to be gentle with him but what I wanted to say was that I didnt look behind as I was on a twstsy road and was concerntrating on staying on it and secondly if you could drive (he was cutting blind corners) I may have seen you ( I was in my car at the time and I didnt cut one bend)

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Dougie's right..

CONSTANT OBSERVATIONS!!

Dont matter how long you've been on a bike or how confident you are as a rider, there'll always be car drivers not looking, cars/pedestrians emerging from between a line of cars, speed limit changes, idiots not looking where they're going, cars turning across you without indicating, slippery surfaces i.e. diesel spills and white lines in the wet, drain hole covers....

The list goes on and on (a bit like me) but, you have to be on your guard 100% of the time, ready for all these things and more that you weren't expecting because the time when you take your eye off the road and it's surrounds could likely be your last. You're vulnerable as fuck on these things so you gotta observe constantly and try to second guess all eventualities.

I'll never forget riding to Cadwell for a track day, following my mate, seeing his attention diverted towards the arse of a very hot girl walking along the path, also seeing the car he was following indicate to take a right turn across the front of him.. nothing i can do but watch.. he returned his attention to the road in the nick of time, hit the brakes and swerved catching his knee and boot on the back end of the car...no injury and he stayed on the bike but thats an example of how quick shit happens out there and you're the one who's gonna end up in hospital.. not the car driver!

Best of luck to ya!

Reply to this Topic
Northster

Mar 08

Northster says:

He may have let you off

for being over cautious of the speed you were doing if the signs were so bad (maybe not for doing 40 in a 30 though) but it would have definately been a fail for pulling out on a car. I did my DAS over easter with my test on tuesday and I passed. My instructor took me round all the possible routes once, twice or 8 times if I wasn't sure about anything. He picked up on my weak points and made me nail them. One bit of advice he gave me was priceless for the test and for riding in general. "If in doubt, dont pull out" being a little cautious on test may get you a minor but won't fail you.

If I were you i'd ask the instructor to put you in for your test at another test centre where you won't come up with this situation again and make sure you practice all the routes before you go on your test.

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

That's what I thought

Hi Northstar,

thanks for the suggestion, I'll be going up with my instructor on the morning of the test so I'll be going around the area for a couple of hours beforehand.  Unfortunately I don't have any time with an instructor between now and then.

However, I have been told that Chingford has more straight-forward speed zones.  I'm also going to visit it my self on a rented 125 the weekend before the test and try as many routes as I can in two days.  The routes are all on the DSA website so there aren't any surprises, I'd also like to know what the u-turn spaces are like too.

As far as the dumb-ass pulling out is concerned, I think you are right.  Thinking back I got into the stupid situation because I was more concerned with trying to do what the examiner wanted me to do than what I wanted to do.  If he'd not been there I'd either have been more positive from the first moment I'd wanted to overtake, or hung back and not done the maneuver at all.  Being tested always makes me jumpy and buggers up my judgment and if I make a small mistake I'm much more likely to mess up bigtime trying to correct it.

I think that if I have spent time familiarising my self with the area I will be more relaxed and not spend resources on driving for someone else.  When I did that I passed my car test with flying colours.  AND to put this in perspective I've been a driver for 14 years with not one crash or point on my license, and I've driven Daimlers to Evos, Ferraris to Pagodas.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this, much appreciated.

Reply to this Topic
BroonBottle

Apr 05

BroonBottle says:

How do you drive a Pagoda then?

Wiki tells me that a Pagoda is a tiered tower with multiple eaves, common in China and Japan. Can't be great at going round corners!!!

Reply to this Topic
andyshep85

Jun 07

andyshep85 says:

kimL

sorry, my post was a bit harsh. just that as others say observation is the thing that'll keep you(and others) alive and on the road. i do think 4 majors is a lot though and perhaps you should ride a 125 for a bit longer first.

keep at it, just don't pull out on me or i'll twat yer one:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
yossa hughes

Nov 02

yossa hughes says:

I failed my test first time round

mind you back in 1967 the test was a little diferent to the one you do these days :winkie: but having said that I went right back and re took it a month or so later and passed. Now after 40 odd years of riding bikes of all sorts I look back and think how glad I am I took that second test because I've had some magic times on bikes and even now as a grey haired old fart I still enjoy it and cant wait to get out on my bike.

Best of luck mate with your test. :smile

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

KimL

I must confess I get nervous when people dis 125s.  Yes they require more subtle control than bigger bikes for slow speeds, but mastering them will do you good in the long run.  I rode my 125 (baby Vara) for about 8 months and moved up once I was absolutely happy I was riding it properly.

I often see police trainees riding around Hendon and some of their slow-speed control is woeful.  There's plenty of years ahead to ride big bikes, but only one chance to get some quality riding in on a 125.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices