Skip to content

Discuss This Suzuki set to be first with production fuel cell motorcycle New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Suzuki set to be first with production fuel cell motorcycle

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

BenPurvis

Aug 02

BenPurvis says:

Suzuki set to be first with production fuel cell motorcycle

Suzuki and British firm Intelligent Energy have announced an extension of their agreement to develop hydrogen fuel-cell motorcycles with the intention of creating a production-ready hydrogen-powered bike in the near future. The colaboration between the two firms bore fruit last autumn with the showing of the Suzuki Crosscage motorcycle, a hydrogen fuel-cell powered concept bike with similar performance to a 125cc...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (27 March 2008 09:32)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Eh?

"Hydrogen power means the only emission from the Crosscage is pure water." I don't think so. That hydrogen has to come from somewhere which means there has to be energy consumption (and thus pollution) somewhere. Granted, this pollution won't be in the city; merely displaced to another location. This is a tremendous technical exercise and I do hope it succeeds, but to try and pass it off as "clean" is disingenuous.

Reply to this Topic
aenikata

Sep 06

aenikata says:

Hopefully they'll try to keep the price sensible

I've got nothing against electric vehicles as such, but the tendency is to have either a poor range, a massive price tag, or both. If (like the Vectrix), it ends up having a price tag thousands more than the equivalent petrol bike, then it'll only be a niche market. Bring out a £2K commuter scooter or bike (maybe even £3K) that uses fuel cells and gets a decent range, and you'd have something that people might consider.

Reply to this Topic
MrGruffski

Mar 08

MrGruffski says:

I'd buy one

If they can keep it below £3000 and there is some realistic way of fueling and storing the hydrogen.

Reply to this Topic
kawasakibiker

May 07

I'm no expert on engines but...

:smile It does seem strange we haven't seen alternative power option well before now. How come there isn't already a car or bike manufacturer giving us a bike (or car) that could do say 80mph max (lets face it, we don't need anymore) but retain the accelleration and look like our bikes do now? I'd certainly consider looks over performance if it still had some punch. I also strongly believe that as bikers we really need the bike manufacturers to get an alternative sorted and get selling it so it wins us back some respect. If we have a vehicle that makes cars look even more polluting than bikes it would be a big win with the environmental bods to support bikers rights more. :ph43r:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

This is the beginning.

Just as the internal combustion engine was at its beginning 100 yrs ago. Given that the rate of technology doubles every 10 years this is a good thing as it's an insight into the future. Also, the industry needs this kind of inovation to keep lunatics like Plowden and Livingston on the back foot. In the future, these machines will be exciting to ride - invention is driven by necessity.

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

Interesting

I am neither here nor there yet in the debate of combustion/electric/hydrogen (etc) engines... but I will say that this "thing" about is DAMN ugly! It looks nothing like the gorgeous GSXR in my garage!

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Looks nothing like a GSXR?

That'd be a plus point then. :oP

Reply to this Topic
jomac58

Mar 08

jomac58 says:

cross cage

this suzuki crosscage motorcycle looks ugly to me, compaired to my gsx1400.

Reply to this Topic
bikerwookiejim

Nov 07

and.....

Its early days yet...the first motorcycles were not exactly knicker elastic snapping vag magnets! Give it time and when the real engineers have slapped the red braces brigade into shape things will come good.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices