You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > r1

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

hugster

Apr 08

hugster says:

r1

hi i have a 2003 yzf r1 my mates all seem to think that my bike could be a restricted import,i purchased the bike in a well known yamaha dealership in belfast and was told the bike was a uk bike,if the bike turns out to be restricted how do i go about restoring it to full power ??

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (10 April 2008 23:21)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

R1

Hi Hugster  Being a 03 R1 it will be a carb model not injection.All depends from which country it comes from but most come from germany or france.I have found over the years on yamahas from these countrys the restriction is in the carbs .They fit a plastic tube which is on the inside of the diaphragm throttle valve slide top cap .There are two small cross heads holding this in place and a throttle valve slide return spring so it will pop off when undone .I hold the cap in place when undoing .If it has the restricters in they will pull off with a bit of force .Make sure when reassembling to fit  the diaphragms properly (Check if you have disturbed them).There are four carbs so there will be four tubes attached to the carb tops they are there to stop the throttle slides from opening fully so you will never get full power in any gear.

IF it isnt restricted yet is down on power it will probably be the exhaust EX -UP valve is seized closed.Good Luck with it .

K.C. and the sunshine band S.A.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
hugster

Apr 08

hugster says:

r1

hi kcmc,thanks for the input my bike was registered in july 03 and as far as i know is an injection model,i got the bike with 800 miles on it and it has now done 5200 miles all in dry roads, so could there be a restriction on the injection system ?thanks again

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

R1

Hi Hugster

My mistake R1s are carb up to 2001 then they go injection but where i got confused 2002 and 2003 bikes had a inbetween type carb injection thing going on so thats why i thought it was carb . When your working on lots of different bikes you get a bit mixed up some times.Any way do as i said in the first place i have done these and the restriction is in the same place.2002 2003 had a carb body with a diaphragm and slide and spring but just no float bowl  with floats and jets and things the injecters do that bit. 2004 bikes change to proper throttle bodys with butter fly type valves  Best of luck with it

My apology again only a little mistake but the same out come anyway

K.C.and the sunshine band down under:tongue: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
hugster

Apr 08

hugster says:

r1

many thanks again kcmc,will give it a go and see what i can do thank you again for your advice,:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices