Skip to content

Discuss This Police check mopeds power output at the roadside Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Police check mopeds power output at the roadside

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Michael J Carroll

Feb 08

Police check mopeds power output at the roadside

Hampshire Police stopped 48 moped riders in the space of two and-a-quarter hours, as part of a crackdown on motorcyclists de-restricting their machine. The force used a roadside dyno to check the power output of 21 mopeds during the campaign in late April. A further 20 riders received cautions for speeding, two mopeds were seized because the rider’s didn’t have a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (07 May 2008 12:08)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pafg2001

Jan 08

pafg2001 says:

Over run

Hmm, yes the country is over run with 'over powerful' mopeds. I hear everyday in hte super markets and in the pubs across the land. The biggest threat we face is over powered mopeds. Nothing else is going on, no need to worry everything else is fine.........

Reply to this Topic
OrientalSteve

Nov 07

Speeding

So they can't give moped a speeding ticket, they just give them a ticket for overpower! Oh my even i can't come up with something like that! Well yes it is breaking the rules for derestricting etc etc but how fast can a moped go???

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Mmm...

I remember the days when I was 16 and had me a 49cc moped... I remember the back roads I was forced to use and the dangers I was constantly put in due to the fact the top speed was 30mph! I don't know ANYONE who does 30mph even in a 20mph zone, unless there's a greedy camera van parked there doing people at 23mph+! I remember when I passed my car licence and acquired my car. First thing I did??? Sped! I have since continued to speed. I have a deep need for speed, I just cannot get enough of it. I also have complete contempt for certain laws of the country, one being the nonsense about restricting power outputs of scooters. The scooter manufacturers produce the 49cc scooters that are capable of between 55-60mph and meet all the stringent testing to enable them to be sold to the public (disregard chinese scooters... LoL). Now for an a-hole in a large publicly funded establishment to sit on his fat ass in an expensive leather clad chair at his solid oak desk to actually decide that it is safe to have 16-17 year olds on scooters capable of 30mph riding round on slurry covered backroads is simply ridiculous. I know if I had a son on a 49cc scooter I would want him using main roads, where if he had an accident there would be a chance that he would be discovered ASAP and any injuries remedied. In order for this to be possible the scooter needs to be capable of at least 50mph in order for it to blend in with the traffic flow and NOT cause a danger!!! I believe that my experiences on a restricted/law abiding scooter at 16 have made me into the speed freak that I now am... I believe this is the same for many others too. I also find it funny that the Police are wasting resources chasing people on scooters whilst a teenager a week (guesstimate) is murdered through meaningless knife crime (an example)... I find nothing wrong with scooters being de-restricted. The people who are publishing the above story obviously aren't aware that most de-restrictions involve simply removing a washer/plate of some description. It seems as if they believe that increasing the power involves hours of modifying and tinkering with the results being a bike which is un-safe... That's what happens when there is not enough 'working-class' people around them to explain what the actual facts are... Or could it be that they already know but wish to mislead the public who aren't aware enough??? Mmm... Anyway... I hope they were providing dyno print outs to all those who took part against their wishes... Something of a momento to show to your future wife/children about how sensible the country was in your younger days... Could maybe even claim a few quid back from the bike shop who quoted 14bhp when you only actually had 9hp, call the Police in as witnesses if you need to take them to court!

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Moped Power Outputs.

Some of these mopeds are quite trick for what they are, And are very capable of speeds over 30mph in other country"s.I would loose the will to live on a ped doing 30mph for more than 5 miles,So i think the minimum speed should at least be 45mph.I dont blame the lads for de-restricting them.

Reply to this Topic
9999steve

Jun 06

9999steve says:

Fair cop guv!

"A further 20 riders received cautions for speeding, two mopeds were seized because the rider’s didn’t have a valid license, two riders received fixed penalty notices, two were reported for having no road tax, and five were commanded to produce their documents within seven days" Now i recon its a fair cop really. I dont certainly dont condone the harrasment of the last month on bikes but come on..... look at the above list of offences!! Im glad they got some tax dodgers and un licenced users. How would you feel if one of these lads piled into the side of your nice new 08 blade and the the insurance company said they we,nt insured for one of the reasons???

Reply to this Topic
ISP929

Apr 08

ISP929 says:

I agree steve

I live in Hampshire and there are a group of F$%*ing chav scooter pr*&s that ride up and down the road, sometimes 3 in a row, speeding in a 30 zone near a hospital and an old peoples home looking at each other and shouting to one another with their helmets sat on top of their heads, not even on!! W@nkers I know not all scooter riders are like this and I am not saying they are but these lot give us all a bad name and you can bet your last penny on the fact that not one of these little sh%ts got pulled over even though everyone knows where they ride and what time they'll be out!

Reply to this Topic
keith24

Jul 04

keith24 says:

peds

nothing better to do again , pigs make me sick ...have they solved al the real crime then isp929 you want ot try living round here it the wankers in corsa's with small dicks that are the dangerous ones

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

Right hand, not horsepower!

What a complete waste of time... it's a rider's right hand that determines his speed! What worse a GSXR1000 doing 30mph or a scooter doing 30mph..? Why don't they focus on the idiots riding without proper kit, or speeding past an old age home, or doing burn-outs in a shopping mall car park - those will add more value! Or better yet, why not put more time and effort into training and educating both car & motorcycle riders - Im sure that would help people be safer, not testing whether a moped has 3 or 5 hp!

Reply to this Topic
ISP929

Apr 08

ISP929 says:

Keith

Yes...the corsa driver is more dangerous, and yes I do have them my way too and they should be taken to the chopping block...but this article isn't about them. Are you defending the small majority of scooter riders who are pure 100% moorons? I agree the police should leave alone the 17 year old girl trying to get to work on time alone or the 50 year old man who used the bus lane and anyone else who's riding sensibly BUT never defend the chav pricks who ride with their helmet only pulled on to the top of their ears and ride 3 in a row at speed through residential areas!! I may speed at times and if I get caught then I'll blame myself and moan that the police have nothing better to do but if they catch and take these wa@nkers off the road I will say they have done a good job for a change (and yes that does include your carsa drivers and or real criminals too!)

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

Oh and Keith

Those would have been traffic police.  You know, the ones employed to police traffic.  I can guarantee no-one was taken off CID or the robbery or serious crimes squads to support that initiative.

Real crimes are committed on our roads.  Real crimes like, you know, where people actually die.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices