You are in... Forums > General > General > help-a-newbie

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mikenothing

May 08

mikenothing says:

help-a-newbie

hi there, im going to take my bike test in a couple of weeks, doing this direct access thing.

i have been doing general reading, but do not know much about bikes, and as yet, have never ridden one.

i will probably buy a cheap one for general pottering around on. i was looking at a suzuki gs500, but after reading the review of it on this website, im not sure :s

is this a suitable first bike, or is it a pile of shit ?

what would be a good first one ?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (14 May 2008 20:03)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Honda CB500 or a CBF600 may be a better bet.  They are a bit more robust and better built than the other Jap commuters.  Just my view though.

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

first buike

I agree the GS is a dog:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
gazkwak

Mar 08

gazkwak says:

gs500

i brought a 1995 gs 500 for my first bike, depends what you want to do with but i found the gs500 a good bike to cut your teeth on, and pretty forgiving in the winter months, i also put bandit headlights, clocks, and a belly pan on it improved the looks no end, only problem i had with it in 6 months was the carbs needed cleaning but it had done 38000 miles, good luck with your test, and really its what you like, you could ask a 100 bikers thier opinion and everyone will be different, or would have different experiences with the same bike

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
buzznuts

May 07

buzznuts says:

Which Bike?

Depends really on what you want from your bike. I mean do you have the horn for race bikes , enduro bikes , big touring bikes etc. I passed my test last year  and up until that point had only ever riden motocross. My lil Lady then suprised me with the best b,day pressie a man could wish for a 1999 CBR 600F. I've found this bike to be a great commuter yet with an aggresive twist of the throttle a great sports bike aswell. The bike handles like a dream in all aspects. Oxford do a great line in pannier luggage , tail packs and tank bags at a fraction of the cost for a full givi luggage set so I get everything on the bike I need  to. But most importantly it's reputation for reliability. May i suggest that you start with a 600 becasue I think you may within weeks wish you had a bigger engine this is however only my personal view and appreciate not everyone would agree. If the gs is the style you prefer than maybe I could offer up a honda Hornet as an option, all the afore mentioned advantages without the fairings! Hope this helps you in some way. Happy bike hunting! :sunglasses:  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
leepin99

Oct 07

leepin99 says:

Heres

an off the wall choice, the ktm 690 duke, single cyclinder, easy to ride and shudnt be a pain to insure either, and it just mite convert you in a while to the v twin way of life that i subscribe to heavily, although it isnt, check out the link below for a review of the bike mate and good hunting..

whttp://www.crash.net/motoring/roadbikes/road_tests/article/20796-0/2008_ktm_690_duke_-_mossy_rides.htmlall choice, the

Reply to this Topic
slider72

Mar 05

slider72 says:

help a newbie

i think you would get bored with it quite quickly..i did.

i do happen to have a nice 04 fz6 for sale.£2700 ono.

remus pipes, fsh, 7200mls, belly pan plus other bits.

Reply to this Topic
leepin99

Oct 07

leepin99 says:

I like that..

at the risk of selling my latest thread short that would be a good choice and very reasonably priced sir if i may say so :hmmm:

Reply to this Topic
mikenothing

May 08

mikenothing says:

thanks

to all for ur input. that fz6 thing looks like a good choice indeed, but might be a bit expensive for me. i was looking more 1-2 grand. i think the suggestion of the honda cb500 was best, unless i can stretch myself to a fz6. i shall wait and see what my finances are like after my test is completed, if they are favourable, i might come and see ur bike sideways if ur not too far away

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices