Skip to content

General Long way down................ General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Long way down................

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

52BlackShadow

Jun 03

Long way down................

A hypothetical question that I'd really love to know the answer to:

It was well documented at the start of Long way round that both Ewan and Charlie wanted KTM adventures for the trip, and only went for the BMW GS when KTM turned them down.

Now supposing KTM had approached them at the start of Long way down and offered new KTM Adventures for this trip (Bit of grovelling, can see now they were serious, greatest respect for what they achieved etc.), do you think they would have stuck with BMW for LWD, or would they be up the road looking for new orange tee shirts?

Ignore potential contractual issues etc, put yourself in their shoes and think what you'd do?

Ride safe,

Shad.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (17 May 2008 08:48)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BroonBottle

Apr 05

BroonBottle says:

2 main factors that spring to mind

I guess there's factors such as loyalty to BMW following their backing on the first trip and that they are familiar with how to ride the BMW; I guess the KTM being a v-twin (i think) is going to ride differently to the boxer engine in the GS - I know that it's taking time for me to adapt from a Honda CBF to my GS and I'm not doing any crazy off-road stuff!

Do we know why they wanted KTMs in the first place? Was it on the back of their reputation from the Dakar?

Reply to this Topic
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

BroonBottle

While you are on here, just opened my third of 7 bots of the broon stuff, the lable says its cold, but does it taste betta not chilled. and is it still made in newcastle, it betta be! i heard its gateshead now!:shock: hic...

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

From what I remember

of reading the book, Ewan fell for the beemer but was willing to concede to Charlie's bike experience who prefered the KTM. In the end it was the KTM professional endurance rider that advised the KTM company that what C+E were trying couldn't be done. I think from then on the gauntlet was truly thrown!

Re - Triumph Tiger - are there enough motoring shops between here and Cape Town from which to buy 'top up' oil?..:lol:

I agree with BB on the loyalty front. The more success with brand A ensures you stick with brand A

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BroonBottle

Apr 05

BroonBottle says:

Changing priorities

I like shiny new things! I don't have the cash to own a sporty new car and a shiny new bike, so the diesel (fiesta - woooo!!!) meant that I could afford (more or less) whatever bike I wanted; and since I got the GS I now do most of my miles on 2 wheels.

I think if they'd used something from longbridge, particularly back in 'the good old days' they'd have had to have done most of the journey pushing all of the bits of the bike along in a wheelbarrow!!!

Reply to this Topic
BroonBottle

Apr 05

BroonBottle says:

After 7 bottles

you'll not care whether it's hot or cold, made in Newcastle or New Mexico, best of luck!!!

I don't know where it's made now - wouldn't be surprised if it's made in Outer Mongolia like everything else!!!

Reply to this Topic
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

way ay man

on fourth, topping up half glass, to keep the head, er, then gulping it. can understand why geordie lasses are voted best looking, after few of the broons, would even say girls aloud are fit! except the redhead...like her sober.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

Shad, I think that they

were so pissed off with KTM, especially Boorman, that there is no way, on principle, that they would have gone with KTM..even if BMW weren't interested in LWD, they would have gone with someone else.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

oops

I heard that they went to KTM for support, KTM agreed to supply the bikes and spares, a deal was done. And then someone later decided oh and we want X amount of money for doing it, but KTM stuck to the original deal and declined. That's why they went to BMW.

I don't know how true that is?

:hmmm:

Reply to this Topic
MrHarlequin

Aug 02

MrHarlequin says:

Thing is

I also seem to remember that Charley wanted KTMs originally and Ewan, who gave way on the matter wanted the GS.  When KTM withdrew their offer, they 'seemed' so incensed that to then work with KTM on the second round would have been seen as hypocritical in the extreme.

Although you say to ignore contractual issues, anyone who has been at any of the bike shows will have seen Charley on the BMW stand, signing books, chatting, being photographed.  So for them and in particular for Charley, who doesn't have a Hollywood career to fall back on, it's the entire commerciality of the whole thing that is important, not just the choice of bike.  Add in the C&E effect, that has seen the GS become one of the best selling bikes in the country and you can see why BMW would be loathe to lose the endorsement and why, financially, they would make it worthwhile.  KTM is, comparatively, a tiny manufacturer and could not compete.  Remember, a lot of the people buying GSs now are the same customers BMW are aiming their cars at.

Finally, LWD was on GS 1200s, whereas the LWR was on 1150s.  I've not ridden either, but I understand the gap between the 1200 and KTM is not as great as with the 1150?

Notice how little coverage Charley has been getting on his current 'adventure' though....

Reply to this Topic
AlanMcT

Oct 07

AlanMcT says:

Mr H

Charley is a lovely guy but he isn't sexy little Ian is he?

BTW - don't worry unduly about Charley. His father was (is?) John Boorman, a multi-millionaire film director.

He made movies like

Point Blank (1967) Hell in the Pacific (1968), Deliverance (US, 1972, Zardoz (1974) starring Sean Connery, Exorcist II: The Heretic , Excalibur  AND .......

The Emerald Forest (1985), with his actor son Charley Boorman as an eco-warrior.

He'll no be living in a cardboard box selling Big Issue whatever happens.

:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle