You are in... Forums > General > General > The advantage of being an old git

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

AlanMcT

Oct 07

AlanMcT says:

The advantage of being an old git

and being brought up before we stopped giving a shit about grammar and spelling.

This is an email I received this morning. It is supposed to be from NatWest Bank and had all the trappings of a proper NatWest email complete with logo and company details.

Unlock your profile

Due to database operations error,some online banking accounts can be lost.We are instructing our clients to verify there account on file with us in order to make it active and enjoy the new features on our banking system. You are requested to click the log in botton to make it active and better than before.Thank you:

Of course you had to supply your bank details to 'Unlock Your Profile'.

Maybe some younger folk wouldn't see anything wrong? Thank goodness most crooks are stupid otherwise the police wouldn't stand a chance.

:wacko:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (17 May 2008 13:11)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

Did you ..

a) forward it to NatWest (they do try to deal with them), b) suspect it might be of foreign origin also ?

I have had these for several banks, none of which I bank with.

Reply to this Topic
OrientalSteve

Nov 07

Spoof mail

This type of spoof mail is everywhere except it takes you to a fake webpage and get your ebay details or paypal account.

I'm sure there are lots of people fallen victim to it before.

Reply to this Topic
AlanMcT

Oct 07

AlanMcT says:

DrFutura

Thanks - I will do that.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

I wouldn't trust

a genuine e-mail from my bank. Not only an old (ish) git, I'm deeply cynical too:biggrin:.

My paypal password is so secure even I can't remember it....:blink:

Reply to this Topic
pthompson11

Jan 06

pthompson11 says:

Phishing

AlanMcT this is a Phishing attack in which the uneducated would click on the link supplied and log on to a fake site. You should report it to Natwest and http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html I hope this helps. If you would like some information on Phishing try the BBC web site.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

i agree Boult,

password for this, password for that, don't write it down, don't make it obvious they say, so i get all flash and clever....a few weeks later, doh!!,:wacko:.. i've forgotton...the downside to being an old git??!!!  :lol:

Reply to this Topic
steve.g

Jan 08

steve.g says:

old git

the advantage is ... forgot what i was going to say. oh , another thing, erm. need a piss

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

need a piss Steve?

sounds like you're ready to join the ranks of us beemer riders....:lol::wink:

Reply to this Topic
BroonBottle

Apr 05

BroonBottle says:

I've had several of these

If you ever get any email that might be from your bank the best course of action is to log in to your account from the bookmark/favourite that you'll already have on your computer. In the unlikely event that it is real then you'd get some sort of message when you login.

Usually if you hold your mouse pointer over the link that you're being asked to click it should show up the real web address that the link points to, and it's usually pretty obvious then that it's not real.

Don't rely on the grammar to prove a hoax. I work for a bank producing letters and some of the stuff that I get to see is dreadful.

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrog

Oct 05

vulcanrog says:

I get these

from the Halifax & I don't have an account with them ! I ignore all emails from banks as I mistrust the web,  something to do with also being an old git & learning to become a cynic over the years.  spelling & grammar is no indicator these days,  our illustrious leader at work is an ex cop & a supposedly 'educated man' his spelling & grasp of the english language is diabolical so being a bank worker doesn't make someone automatically good wiv dah spellink und grammer innit ?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices