Skip to content

General Cornering? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Cornering?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

darren-sampson

Jul 07

Cornering?

Why is it that when i am riding i find left hand corners so much easier then right hand corners. I can really fling my bike into left handers and have absolute confidence tha i will get round the corner. But when it comes to right handers i have no confidence at all. I have done a trackday at castle combe (a right hand biased track) and thought that may have sorted me out but i still chicken out on the roads. Whats going on, is it just a mental thing and do other people suffer with it to?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (17 May 2008 18:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BEXI

Apr 06

BEXI says:

i am on your side with that..

i find lefty's easyer and quicker.  but i know this aint right cos you should take right handers quicker. its a safety thing.  but i know why i do left handers better, its cos of the way my body is and i cant feel the balance and angle so well. 

but i couldnt say why your like that.

Reply to this Topic
darren-sampson

Jul 07

hmmm

Maybe it is a safety thing. When i go round a right hander you are going into the traffic so i stiffen up? But i have asked other people also and they have said that they find right handers easier! Strange.

Reply to this Topic
cbrrrryan

Nov 06

cbrrrryan says:

cornering

I think most people favour one or the other. I think most people are more comfortable with right handers, people tend to get their knee down for the first time on a roundabout.

Are you right or left handed? Could that be the issue? I'm lefthanded and I seem to have more confidence when taking lefthanders. It's not that I have a problem with right hand corners, like I said before most people have a favourite be it left or right.

Reply to this Topic
BroonBottle

Apr 05

BroonBottle says:

Ever had a near miss?

Could it be something like that? Have you ever encountered traffic in the middle of the road in a right-hander or nearly ran off the road at one? An incident like that could shake confidence.

Me, I prefer rights to lefts and I wonder if it's anything to do with having run straight on at left while I was learning.

Reply to this Topic
public enemy#1

Apr 08

Practice Mate

Just takes practice, nearly everyone is one side biased but most get over it with practice. Take the lefts/rights slowly, gradually increase speed and lean and you'll crack it....................good luck mate.:smile

Reply to this Topic
BikerBladerAsh

Nov 07

similar

my mate struggles with right handers he finds left handers much easier but i'm the opposite i prefer right handers in terms of banking over i think bt confidence wise i have no problem with either and after knee down on both sides at mallory its not like i cant bank over. and having passed my advanced cornering is really not an issue to me. in the wet i lose a bit of confidence but my ninja and the dunlops are really faithful to me

Reply to this Topic
andy_m

Apr 07

andy_m says:

corners

i have no problem with either or given one or the other time of day in my thoughts... I do find i can take corners much faster if i am aware of the visuals around it (looking over the hedge or leaning my head around)

Reply to this Topic
antrs250

Oct 07

antrs250 says:

iam

ok with both ...

but only on the right handers can i take my foot off the left peg to scar people behide me.

Reply to this Topic
pch1

Aug 05

pch1 says:

I agree with BroonBottle, I had an accident on a right hander after some pratt left a brick in the road. Ever since then I have noticed that my right handers aren't as smooth or lean angle as great as left handers.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Cornering

Maybe it's because you can straighten out the left handers, but you can't do that on blind right handers as you will be too close to centre line. I used to go slower through ride hand bends, but now I keep left and look well round the bend, (go where you look) Don't look at the kerb, Much better now.  :biggrin::biggrin:

Bikerbladerash are you going to Mallory on 3rd July?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices