Skip to content

Ask an Expert SarahC's Suzuki and BSM DAS Diary day six: It's D Day New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > SarahC's Suzuki and BSM DAS Diary day six: It's D Day

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Sarah Carnell  says:

SarahC's Suzuki and BSM DAS Diary day six: It's D Day

Well today (Friday) was test day. I arrived at the BSM centre at 9am and today I was to be looked after by Chris, one of the other full-time instructors, as Mark was doing a CBT in Birmingham. Also spending the day with me and Chris was Butch, an American who was on his third attempt at passing his test on a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (18 May 2008 15:48)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pocketyoga

Jan 08

pocketyoga says:

Sarah C's test on her Suzuki Van Van

Oh, Sarah C!

So sorry to hear that you failed your bike test! :shock:

I have been  eagerly following your progress every day as I am a lady rider and currently ride my Van Van on L plates. After all your struggles with U turns, which I relate to, to fail after what you seemed to think was a good test, must be gutting! I am doing my Direct access course and test towards the end of June, and really just want to be able to ride my own bike as a "qualified biker", and not to be "aimed at" by some car drivers who seem to see red when they see L plates!

Please post a daily blog of your retest course and the outcome, as for relatively new riders (few months) like me, it really helps.

I have followed your progress since I first visited the MCN website, when I first bought my bike in January. I read your early reviews last year of riding the Van Van, and as you were a shortie lady rider like me, I went out and bought a Van Van, fuelled by the tales of yourself learning on it!

It's been brilliant to read your blogs. I know you work for MCN online, but your writing style is very interesting, and at times, very entertaining. Keep up the good work!  :smile

Oh, by the way, did the American guy pass his Direct access test? I am doing my DAS on a Honda CB500  just like he did.

Kind regards,

Pocketyoga

Reply to this Topic
SarahC

Oct 06

SarahC says:

Hi Pocketyoga

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to know you bought a Van Van because of me. I actually really like it for a learner bike and I gather they just run and run! I will keep you up to date with how I get on, it'll be a couple of weeks. Butch didn't pass but he's going for another attempt. Stay safe

Reply to this Topic
SarahC

Oct 06

SarahC says:

Hi Pocketyoga

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to know you bought a Van Van because of me. I actually really like it for a learner bike and I gather they just run and run! I will keep you up to date with how I get on, it'll be a couple of weeks. Butch didn't pass but he's going for another attempt. Stay safe

Reply to this Topic
grindz145

May 08

grindz145 says:

Good Effort!

All I have to say is holy cow that sounds hard! In the US, at least in New York state where I am from, you don't need to do more than 25 MPH on your road test. It usually lasts about 8 minutes and the hardest thing you need to do is a figure 8. No verbal questions or anything. I am actually impressed that they asked you how to tighten the chain and what to do when you have a passenger. You would be amazed how many people don't have a clue in the states! You would have had your license here with no sweat! www.TroyRank.com

Reply to this Topic
scotsmarauder

Jun 08

total empathy with Sarah

Hi Sarah, What a shame you failed your test . I have total empathy with you being a novice lady biker. I signed up for DAS last Spring having done the CBT the year before then going out and buying a Suzuki GZ 125 to play with .I don't do wet weather-the bike would get dirty!!-so the bike was put into hibernation over the winter months.I chose this bike 'cos it had a fat a-- seat and was nice and low for the shorter legged riders. I love it but would like to go faster now, 60mph being just about the top speed of this model. Off I went like a lamb to slaughter for my first 8 hours training for the DAS, the only woman with the boys.My bike does not have a centre stand so my first problem was getting it on and off the thing.There is a definate knack to that. As for U turns, forget it.A total hit or miss affair. Who needs them anyway and why can't you pop your foot down to steady yourself? I went home totally dejected with hands and wrists aching and huge bruises on my calves from fishing about for the stand. Give me a side stand anyday.It was nice to hear at a later date that the boys were equally as shattered as myself. The next 8 hour stint was on a Honda CB500 and just the size and weight was a huge surprise. They put on a lowered seat so I managed to get my feet on the ground and having spent many hours out practising U turn after U turn on my own wee bike I started off quite well.I managed to do the turns on the big bike and was managing the weight too.As we progressed out onto the roads I was loving this feeling of power and freedom.Practising those U turns out on a test road was a total hit or miss for me though.The sight of a kerb was enought to make me think I could not turn in time. The rest of the day was super until the final street. Just do a couple more the Instuctor said but after 8 hours, allbeit with a short lunch break, my brain had shut down. Even though I can clearly hear him shouting in my ear to pull in the clutch and me replying -I AM,of course he could not hear a word I was saying- I was heading straight for a lampost. I was in fact pulling ever so hard on the brake completely forgetting the clutch was on the left. OOOPS!! The poor bike lost half its brake lever and all the instuments were smashed. I went over the handlebars .That was the end of what had been a very enjoyable day. I had to wait months before I could get another lesson and again enjoyed riding the bigger bike but those U turns were still causing problems. When it came to Test day I had made the decision to sit the 125 test and hopefully pass rather than chance messing up the 500 test. There was no way I wanted to go through another test . Luckily for me I passed first time .I could not believe I had made it around the U turn without a problem. There is nothing quite like pulling off the L plates. I have a Suzuki Bandit 600S with a restrictor kit fitted but find it so heavy and I can barely touch the ground with my feet. I have only been on it 3 times and the last time I dropped it as my foot did not hit the ground before the weight of the bike tipped it over.Two of us girls really struggled to lift it back up and lo and behold another brake lever broken and indicator broken. I have just bought a lowering kit but if I still cannot touch the ground with both feet it will have to go. I would really like a big brother for my little Suzuki 125, maybe a Marauder 800. Keep on biking Sarah .If I can do it at 50 so can you and whats a few brake levers between friends? Bruises mend too.Good luck on the next test.

Reply to this Topic
becky_burtenshaw

Oct 07

ditto

I had my test yesterday and failed :( I am sooooo gutted and know exactly haw u feel It was like monsoon weather - visabilty was bad and to make it worse my helmet was leaking so rain got on my glasses as well, I was terrified especially on the A11 when I couldn't get up to speed :( The examiner in the end had to end the test early.... I feel so ashamed that I've let my dad down because he has put so much effort into helping me and has stuck by me all the time, even when my mum didnt want me to do it. Hope you pass next time Sarah - they say the best riders pass second time around lol

Reply to this Topic
Stevemclachlan

Oct 06

Sarah,s bad day

Sarah, i have only passed my test last summer and now have a ZZR600 but the reason i am commenting is that i also have a van van, my partner is using it because she would like to do her CBT and her test(we have a field she uses it in before anyone picks on me lol) but people forgetit is onll a 125 and ours will only do 70 if you totally thrash it....it takes a while to get there so the examiner should have known this before commenting on it....better luck to you next time....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices