Skip to content

Discuss This Bennetts Insurance rip off Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > Bennetts Insurance rip off

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Paul   says:

Bennetts Insurance rip off

I took out some insurance to cover a scooter last year, but towards the end of my insurance deal I sold the bike and let my insurance lapse. I was surprised to find Bennetts insurance company had taken another years payment from my account without notification. I phoned them to find out what was going on and they said they do...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (09 June 2008 11:46)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rjgbob

Mar 04

rjgbob says:

bennetts rip off

I thought that it was illegal to keep you card details, and i have always used Carol Nash with no problems.

Reply to this Topic
CYGNUS

Jun 08

CYGNUS says:

BENNETTS RIP OFF

Hi, it's Paul who wrote the story. Yeah I had the same response from Bennetts as exbiker, when I complained about their policy on automatically deducting money from my debit card they just repeated... you signed the document aggreeing to our terms and conditions. Basically saying it was my fault. I contacted trading standards and they said if the terms and conditions of the insurance states that they can automatically renew, they will. I'm going to try and take it further. I will keep you posted

Reply to this Topic
MCN_Sam

Jun 08

MCN_Sam says:

Investigate

Paul it might be worth looking to see if they are following the data protection act. Companies have to be very careful about keeping data on customers thanks to the act, especially things like credit card details. Or just tell five mates about how awful they are; I'll never be using them for insurance now.

Reply to this Topic
HowardDay

Jun 08

HowardDay says:

Bennetts

This has not surprised me at all. I got a quote for my 999 from them during May to enter the Honda 600 draw. The quote was nearly double what I paid at my last renewal with Devitt (£440 odd at Bennetts as opposed to £224 with Devitt). My insurance was up for renewal in June and my new quote from Devitt (with the same details given to Bennetts) had gone down a further £12 making the difference even greater. What really drove the point home was the realisation both agents had quoted me for the same policy with the same company (Equity Red Star). Work that one out? Devitt told me it was probably down to the discount variations given by insurers to individual agents but…………… what a difference. Howard

Reply to this Topic
cornbeef76

Jun 07

cornbeef76 says:

Stay well away from Bennetts

I've been with Bennetts for 2 years now but won't be renewing with them ever again and would advise anyone else to do the same.

Last year, I sold my Ducati 750SS and replaced it with a Kawasaki ZX6-R. Bennett's online quote was reasonable so I rang up after I bought the bike only to be told I'd have to cancel my existing policy and take out a new one as my insurer wouldn't cover me for the final month that my policy had to run. No reason was given and I lost a years NCD.

I rang up recently to ask about upgrading the ZX6-R to a 929 Fireblade only to be told I wasn't allowed anything over 600cc on my current policy, so I couldn't even buy a Bandit 650 (WTF?), without cancelling and losing yet another year's NCD. Why wasn't I told about this when I took out the policy? It isn't even in the small print. "We can't predict these things", said the call centre fuckwit on the end of the phone. :mad:

A mate of mine had similar problems when going from a Honda RVF400 to a Suzuki GSXR750. Apparently, they'd sold him a Honda only policy but conveniently didn't tell him. He's also lost a years NCD because of this. His dad has also had problems with them.

The staff on the phone's clearly have no idea about bikes and give me no confidence that they'll handle anything properly in the event of a claim.

Thanks for the info on the auto renewal. I'll be contacting them and my bank in the morning to ensure these muppets get no more money from me.

Reply to this Topic
madca

Jun 08

madca says:

Be Warned if you make a credit card payment for somebody else's insurance

Last year I used my credit card to make insurance premium payments for other people to both Bennetts and A Quote. The renewal paperwork has arrived from both these companies and both state they will take automatic payments using the credit card information supplied the previous year. As I am not the policyholders I took exception to this and contacted these companies to tell them to remove my credit card details from their records and not take a further payment from my card as I do not authorise them to do this. Both companies said that as I was not the policyholder they would not discuss with me and would take the automatic renewal payments unless the policyholder contacted them. After a long conversation with A Quote yesterday and again today and an email, they have now removed my credit card details after I threatened complaint to Information Commissioner and legal action should they take money from me without my express authority. I was told that they have every right to take another payment from me,in accordance with guidance from the FSA, as they say the policyholder has requested automatic renewal(this was not deliberate and was due to the fact that this information is not obvious on insurance paperwork) and it is irrelevant that the card does not belong to him. I reiterated that nodody could authorise a payment on my card except me but apparently A Quote policyholders can. The scenario with Bennetts was exactly the same and they eventually removed my card details from their records. I have now contacted the Information Commissioners Office about this and also intend to complain to the FSA.

Reply to this Topic
Justinzzzz

Aug 08

Justinzzzz says:

Bennetts are sharks

I also got caught out by the Bennetts auto-renewal feature. I was told that I should have read the policy. I wouldn't mind so much but what they charged me (without asking) to renew my policy was 50% more than the equivalent quote I obtainable from their own website. I don't like these people.

They said they sent out a renewal notice, but I certainly didn't receive one. Did anyone else find they were auto-renewed without getting a renewal notice?   

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices