You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Flip Up Lids

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

hondated

Nov 07

hondated says:

Flip Up Lids

Having just come back from the MotoGP in Barcelona and because I knew I would constantly have to be either looking for towns or at my maps on numerous occasions I decided to wear my Flip Up lid rather than my Toseland Replica but what as intrigued me is that out of a group of 20 bikers I was the only one wearing a Flip Up and given many of them would have to do what I was having to do can someone please tell me why Flip Ups are not more popularif  or are they considered to be too geeky. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (12 June 2008 19:00)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
iancol

Sep 07

iancol says:

Flip up lids

Until somebody who actually wears/has worn one besides yourself replies, I offer cost and relative lack of macho image as possibilities.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

flip ups

Apart from the Roof Boxer I had they lack a certain "racer cred".  For touring I agree they are far more practical (especially if you wear specs).  I have found them to be noisier though.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Flip up lids

Any rider who uses their bike on a daily basis will tend to use a flip up, probably one with an integral sun visor like a Caberg, Schuberth, Airoh etc. I put this purely down to practicality.

Some petrol stations refuse to serve you unless you took off your lid or can open it. Also, the integral sun visor is genius. Hence, for me at least, a flip front is essential. I only commute about 10k miles per year, but I wouldn't bother with a race rep lid that costs a fortune for some dorky graphics and usually pooh ventilation.

For everyday riding, a Caberg or Schuberth really is the mutt's nuts. For weekend riders and posers, they can have their fashion accessory lid to go with their fashion accessory bike.

Reply to this Topic
Ampy

Oct 08

Ampy says:

flip up lids

I agree with lightening boy, I have just got back into bikeing after many years and wearing glasses I find the double visor flip up the most practical as when (on the odd occasion) the sun shines, you can flip down the tinted visor without having to pull over to change to sunglasses, you can flip the front to speak and get served in petrol stations etc. and have a smoke!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices