Skip to content

Ask an Expert Should I buy an imported bike? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Should I buy an imported bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Tulstyman

Jun 08

Tulstyman says:

Should I buy an imported bike?

Hi, I am tempted to buy a brand new FJR1300 from KJM motorcycles who are offering the bike at massive discount compared to my local dealer.  KJM are able to do this as the bikes they sell are 'imports'.  They assure me that the bike will meet UK spec. and will be fully guaranteed but my local dealer is advising me against the deal and suggests that the bike and warranty may not be as good as KJM claim.  I would like to buy an FJR1300 from my local dealer as they have always been very helpful but there is a limit to how much support I can give them.  I know they are in the business to make a profit and I don't expect them to give bikes away for charity but by the same token I am not keen on donating large amounts of money to local businesses unless I have to.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (17 June 2008 09:31)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AraiAndy

Mar 08

AraiAndy says:

Imported bike

I wouldnt hessitate going to KJM, the bike would be UK spec,possibly imported  from the US.Your local dealer would advise you not to spend your hard earned anywhere but with them.KJM would give you a guarantee thats worth as much as any guarantee from anyone else( import or UK )

Reply to this Topic
andy n

Sep 08

andy n says:

import from KLM

whatever you do do,nt buy from KLM I unfortunately did & I really regret that I ever even heard of them I paid a £300 deposit on a Honda Deauville on 27 07 08 after many phone calls from me & so many excuses (all very lame) my bike was delivered on 13 08 08 with no road tax but more excuses. The tax arrived on 16 08 08 but no English handbook & no receipt (both had been promised) I have got the receipt but no handbook & the warrantry is not with Honda so Ihave a 400 mile round trip for any repairs all in all not good

Reply to this Topic
andy n

Sep 08

andy n says:

import freudian slip

I,ve just noticed that in my post on Sept 11 I put KLM instead of KJM I asure you I was not suggesting that the Dutch airline was involved in these shady deals       

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle