Skip to content

Discuss This Sachsenring MotoGP: Casey Stoner maintains stunning recovery MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Sachsenring MotoGP: Casey Stoner maintains stunning recovery

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Sachsenring MotoGP: Casey Stoner maintains stunning recovery

Reigning MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner continued his brilliant 2008 recovery with a third straight victory in a rain-soaked German GP. Just a month after virtually being written off as a title no-hoper, Stoner is now only 20-points adrift of new series leader Valentino Rossi. Once Dani Pedrosa had crashed out of the lead on lap six while he held a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (13 July 2008 17:37)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Gixxxer1000k4

Feb 06

Class Act

The man is a class act and he's in unstoppable form at the minute. USA next and I can't see him being challenged there either!!

Reply to this Topic
Squashed_Fly

Sep 07

Squashed_Fly says:

He's right

I hate to say it, but Gixxer is right. Stoner is simply incredible on that bike. I still have my doubts as to how he'd do on anotyher bike without all the electronics but it's time for the stoner haters to back off and give him his dues. I'm a die hard Rossi fan but I can't help thinking it's gonna be another runaway season for Casey now he has the bike back under control.

Reply to this Topic
Stavros7

Oct 04

Stavros7 says:

Well done Casey.

Any rider who managed to complete that race in those conditions without chucking it at the scenery is amazing. The angles of lean they still managed to achieve were amazing. Excellent commentary by Jules, Toby & Randy - thanks guys.

Reply to this Topic
warrenrichards

Aug 02

Danny comments

My opinion has changed on him with the interview with Matt on the BBC and Stoners comments on Danny after the fall. He seem to have genuine respect for riders. I have the Eurosport version to watch tonight. Better than Parish and that Aussie twit.

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

He's A Quality Rider

I got behind stoner in the 2006 season after the Istanbul round, I knew he'd be a top 5 contender at some point, never did i think he'd we a championship winner on a ducati, but we all can be wrong! The kids got class and he's been doing the GP thing since he was 15. Another rossi? Dunno, but i would say he has the aussie grit to put him up there with many a australian champion, even Doohan? Well let him win his 4th championship and we'll see eh!

Reply to this Topic
Geepier

Jul 07

Geepier says:

Is it stoner?

The comments and opinoins are still divided although a lot more agree that electronics or not he is the kiddy. I was however interested in the Eurosports guys comments. they are still oohing and aahing at the speed of the guy but the doubts are there in the background to the difference between raw ability and technology. Casey has done himself a few favours of late with comments about other riders, but he knows he is the man to beat and that if Ducati hadn't sorted out his electronics he wouldn't have won the last three on the bounce. But now it seems and its a shame that Honda and Yamaha will develop a similar traction control system to give the same power delivery characteristics to the Duke. so will there be a constructors title involving Magnito Merelli, acer and i dunno zanussi? with casey having to battle a bit the racing seemed more competetive. Viewing figures were on the up especially Europe but in two races if he's leading the championship i fear a repeat of last season with the boss of Dorna having demands on tyre rules, electronic bans etc. i think the main point is that this year Casey wanted to silence the critics and prove it was him and not the bike, well after admitting to beefed up electronics in the Barca test he's not gonna do it, the jury is out Tobe ,Jules and Randy even though they admire his talents hugely as i do are starting to cool a bit. for the sport it has to change, he is a sight to behold on the bike but at what cost? As for fans of the sport check out a certain 125cc commentator at the weekend, he knew lap times, best finishing positions, their dads and i'm sure their mums secret recipe for a vikki sponge. If he does win people over i cant imagine why!

Reply to this Topic
Kawasakifreak

Nov 07

Stoner is the next Doohan !

I think Casey Stoner's a superb racer and probably the first consistent threat to Rossi.  His mental strength & consistency reminds me of Doohan !

Unfortunately for Stoner, doubts will remain over his relative ability (& that of other racers recently entering MotoGP) until the influence of technology on race results reduces in favour of rider-input.

However, for Stoner I think the above assumption is unfair after finishing 2nd in 2005 on simpler 250's and against lighter riders like Pedrosa who had crucial corner-speed advantages.

Kawasakifreak.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
nic james

Jul 08

nic james says:

Kawasaki freak

have you been drinking? Doohan was the master of his era, when you see the tallent coming up through 125s and 250s I doubt Stoner will have the chance to be such a dominant force.

I have nothing against Stoner, he is on the right bike at the right time

Reply to this Topic
toe_down_sv_racing

Jan 08

Still, you can wail about TC systems....

Sylvain Guintoli, getting a 6th..... on a satelite bike ..... in the wet ..... with the traction control turned off!!!! Im amazed no ones remembered that!! compare the stability and the ability to simply "ride" the ducati, a certain mr melandri will testify, you have to learn to ride one of those things. The riders who are heavy on the front and use aggressive slidey lines all the time simply seem to use TC to conserve tyres to compensate for agression, a lot of talk has been about nicky hayden because of his riding style, but i think Sylvain needs a considerable shout!.

Reply to this Topic
Kawasakifreak

Nov 07

Stoner's Riding Ability

Reply to Nic James - I rarely drink !

I'm also a Doohan fan - he was a Master - and so will Stoner prove to be in my opinion even though I don't like his attitude !

As for your expectations from 125 & 250cc riders in the future all I can say is that over the last 30 years or more there have been loads of great 125/250cc riders (including Champions) who have graduated to the 500's / MotoGP class and achieved very little - Biaggi failed to win a single MotoGP Championship despite being untouchable on a 250 for four years - ditto Katoh (RIP) & Kockinski.  

Success at one level doesn't guarantee success at another !

However, in one sense I agree with you - I suspect the recent introduction of rider aids (Traction Control, etc) has made it easier for new entrants from 250's to adapt quickly to MotoGP bikes - giving less able riders success that their relative lack of ability previously would have denied them - I feel this development is against the spirit of top-level bike racing. 

I understand that Mick Doohan has similar sentiments regarding riders aids - when asked about electronic traction control he said he had simlar in his day - it was called the throttle & the clutch ie: control using skill not software - nuff said !

Kawasakifreak

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices