Skip to content

Discuss This 2009 Triumphs: Thunderbird 1600, Daytona 675 and Street Triple R New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > 2009 Triumphs: Thunderbird 1600, Daytona 675 and Street Triple R

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Chris Newbigging  says:

2009 Triumphs: Thunderbird 1600, Daytona 675 and Street Triple R

These are the world-first pictures of Triumph’s complete 2009 range unveiled at a dealer conference last night (Sunday), including the Thunderbird 1600 cruiser, Street Triple R and revised Daytona 675. The major new release is the all-new Thunderbird 1600 cruiser, designed to take on Harley-Davidson head-on. The 1594cc liquid-cooled parallel twin makes upwards of 100bhp, and has a maintenance-free belt final...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (21 July 2008 10:02)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
galswort

May 06

galswort says:

New Cruiser

Not sure about that new cruiser, much prefer the look of those Victory bikes! Nice rad cowl though...

Reply to this Topic
Boris54

Jul 08

Boris54 says:

New Thunderbird (Harley Deuce clone!)

Be interested to hear what it sounds and feels like:sunglasses:. Does seriously look like the now discontinued Harley Deuce which was a great bike but you could not fit any luggage on it!. 

OK, the Triumph has a swinging arm but look at the rear fender and front forks, tank, bars :winkie:
It may well, as does the Rocket 111, tempt me to sell the Harley Heritage I currently ride, BUT will depend on how the luggage fits onto the Thunderbird !!! Hope Triumph have thought of that as they have with the "Americana" ?  - Triumphs, they just get better and better it seems?

One last point, I would rather be a HOG than a RAT though!!! Why did Triumph do that?? Who Knows!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Mattsa21

Jul 04

Mattsa21 says:

Gorgeous

I can't wait to see them in person! I'm in love with the Street Triple, i think the type R may well steel my heart though..

Reply to this Topic
Mr Kurtz

Jul 08

Mr Kurtz says:

Nearly but not quite?

It may be that this won’t be a Thairumph at all, but having somehow weakened the brand image over recent years by reportedly coyly outsourcing some Bonnevilles from Thailand whilst promoting a perhaps diminished Brit Bike image, then Triumph may have shot themselves in the foot regarding street-cred for tackling the Harley market head on. Image can be important, not least in respect of resale values and won’t be helped if they are also intending to continue using plasticy chromed indicators and tail lights instead of chrome ones like Harley do. Losing “made in” from the engine cover logo probably doesn’t matter to most, but if reliability rather than image is a priority instead and you are in the market for a metric cruiser, then would you choose a new line form a relatively low volume manufacturer? Personally I’d be prepared to pay over the odds for an authentic, unusual, stylish and authentic British assembled bike, wherever the components originally came from – I’m just not sure this is going to be it or even could be, given Triumph’s manufacturing adventures. Nearly but not quite right in my view. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Triumph-t189760.html&st=25&start=25 http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/66831-paint-issues-with-bonneville-fuel-tanks.html

Reply to this Topic
Mattsa21

Jul 04

Mattsa21 says:

Harley

Why does everyone asume that Harley's are made in America? The're assembled all around the world to save on building costs. I was in a lecture once, and i seem to remember the lecturer stating that its only about 4% of a Harley that is made in America. They effectivly just put the badges on. Whats wrong with Triumph reducing production costs? The end product is then cheaper for the user.

Reply to this Topic
MAD~DOG

Jan 08

MAD~DOG says:

Thunderbird

Just looks like a copy of a Jap copy of a Harley. Come on Triumph stick to what you are good at, original looking bikes like the Speed Triple, Street Triple, Rocket & scambler.

Reply to this Topic
aphmitchell

Jan 08

aphmitchell says:

Triple r

I was waiting since feb 08 for the street triple but changed my order to the triple R. well whats another 3 months on top of the 9 months i was initially waiting. I have a lovely GSXR 750 K8 to play around with anyway...

Reply to this Topic
5printst

Jul 08

5printst says:

VERY DISAPPOINTED

After all the hype and anticipation of a larger version of the handsome Speedmaster, Triumph dish up this tripe, what makes this a Triumph? what styling cues? what DNA? Why a Thunderbird AGAIN? Bloody awful exhausts, boring styling, 1980's Yamaha wheels, ridiculous lumps of chrome on the rear mudguard, and a saddle from motorbike-seats-R-us... and why, with an air cooled looking engine and faux carbs do they have to have a bloody great rectangular radiator on end !! Couldn't they have done something with it, like make it the shape of the frame, tuck it in between or behind the frame. ….ANYTHING but that !!! Are you listening Hinckley? ...obviously not. VERY DISAPPOINTED

Reply to this Topic
Phat Bob

Mar 08

Phat Bob says:

Thunderbirds are Go! Please!

Triumph seem to have made a copy of a chinese mini-cruiser. Why? Don't they get out much? Tragic, when they get it so right with the scrambler and the bonneville models...

Reply to this Topic
Agent Z

May 08

Agent Z says:

Triumph Hurricane

Never a judge the design of a bike until you have seen it in "the metal" BUT... that is one DULL DULL new triumph. Come on chaps, how about a new bike based on the old 'Hurricane' !?!?!?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices