Skip to content

Ask an Expert Replacing a battery on a 1997 Yamaha TDM850 Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Replacing a battery on a 1997 Yamaha TDM850

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

stevie747

Jan 06

stevie747 says:

Replacing a battery on a 1997 Yamaha TDM850

:upset:

Hi there, I'd like some advice on changing the sealed-for-life battery on my TDM850.  My Haynes book only shows the earlier model which has the battery under the seat.  On the later model the battery looks to be in front of the rear shock and seems a gynacologists job!  Any advice appreciated.

cheers

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (27 July 2008 15:50)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
monkfishdan

Jun 06

monkfishdan says:

Battery access

Hi Stevie

My neighbour has one - you have to take the tank off to get to the battery apparently. He was always moaning about it when it went flat. :lol:

Good luck

Reply to this Topic
stevie747

Jan 06

stevie747 says:

Battery change

:wacko: Hi, I think that's for the MK1 version, my MK2 isn't visible when you lift the tank, it's under the frame spar.

Come on, somebody must have changed a battery on a MK2 (1997).

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

YAMAHA T.D.M. BATTERY A JOKE

Stevie747

I must first say i havent done a battery change on a T.D.M. 96-97 for a very long time. I probably try and avoid it like the plauge there a pain in the arse.

So good luck

First lift the tank up and clamp the two petrol pipes leading to the petrol cock or switch.Take the pipes off at the cock or switch and remove the tank.Then unbolt the diaphram type petrol pump and move to one side.Undo battery live from starter relay and wrap with insulation so as not to arc to earth.Now unbolt earth on the frame and pull both through to use as a means to remove the battery. Now look under the sub frame , between the shocker and the frame is the battery box.It will have two 10mm bolts holding the battery box in place and a plastic dowl at the bottom. Unbolt the two 10mm,s lift battery box off dowl and tilt the bottom towards the shocker then pull the battery out by the two leads.To rebuild reverse the procedure dont forget to put the leads back on the new battery before refitting. Also the two 10mm,s can be a bit of a problem if they are seized so take your time and try not to snap them

Best of luck i hate doing them myself

K.C. and the sunshine band:tongue:up top 

P.S. you will have to pull some wiring to one side when you have moved the the petrol pump. 

Reply to this Topic
fleseriutiberiu

Mar 13

Battery change

Hi, 

Just did it yesterday, you do not have to disconnect any hose or anything (If you are careful).
1. Remove th seat
2.Remove both cowlings.
3.disconnect all 3 bolts from the fuel tank
4 lift the tank in an upright position(back of the tank should rest just above the rear shock absorber and prop it with soethiong so it stays upright).
5. Disconnect the 2 nuts holding the fuel pump
6. Leave all hoses connected
7. Take the disconnected fuel pump and you should be able to lean it over the left side of the byke (you may have to take some hoses/cables off from their supports)
8. Disconnect the 2 bolts holdinf the battery box
9. disconnect the ground(cable linked to chassis) and positive leads
10. Now with a little care you should be able to take the battery box out through the place where the fuel pump was

Best of luck, cause it is a pain...really

Reply to this Topic
outofcontrole

Mar 13

Remove battery TDM 850 '97

I've just done it, and I must say it's fiddle but not all that bad either.This is how I did it:
1 Remove LH and RH fron fairings
2 Remove Tank. ( don't forget to close valves and disconnect  the fuel hoses)
3 Remove aft mud guard and chain guard.
4 Disconnect aft brake cylinder
5 Undo both batt cables near the fusebox and move cable downwards behind the batt.
6 NOw remove 2 little bolts from batt box and wiggle the box and Batt out of postion.
If you move towards top of rear wheel it's quiet easy actually.
Goodluck!! :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices