Skip to content

Discuss This Parking bay charges launched today in Westminster Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Parking bay charges launched today in Westminster

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Michael J Carroll

Feb 08

Parking bay charges launched today in Westminster

Westminster City Council today began introducing a £1.50 per day charge for motorcycle parking. The council has planned a phased rollout of the charging scheme, with all its bays due to be covered by the end of August. Riders can pay for parking by setting up a Pay by Phone account, or they can pre-register for the scheme online. In addition to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (04 August 2008 16:38)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Hmm...

...I pay road tax, fuel tax, insurance tax and council tax; pay for the spots out of that little lot!

Was holidaying in Englandshire recently - could not believe that bikes had to pay for most spots. Ridiculous.

Luckily the Nation Trust has some sense; free parking and they'll even keep and eye on your kit as you tramp about. Good on them!

Reply to this Topic
cascadeair

Nov 05

cascadeair says:

Westminster Parking Charge

I won't mind paying the charge as long as I can park in ANY space usable by a car! 6,000 spaces? What a joke! We fight every day for a spot to park as it is. Try, for example, parking at Infinity during the day in the tiny spot available for bikes! I say if we have to pay, then we compete with cars for a space!!!

Reply to this Topic
keith24

Jul 04

keith24 says:

pay parking

if we have to pay surely that means if anything goes missing or damage is done to the bike we can sue the council as it's now a rented space ...worth a try ??

Reply to this Topic
Stuart Fordyce

Nov 03

Trial period?

The sign on the one in Exhibition Road suggests that this is initially a trial period for six months. Objections can be sent to: Council's Agents, West One, 59 Buckingham Gate, SW1E 6AJ, ref 5303/ALJ. How do I sent this to the main MCN newspaper? It's £1.50 now...what will it be later? There aren't anything like enough spaces in the city centre. It's now so crowded that you might as well be on the tube.

Reply to this Topic
HCSchwarzi

Apr 07

HCSchwarzi says:

What A Joke

I would not mind paying 1.50 if there are spots available. 6000 they are kidding what a joke. What about those treehuggers, we have to drive around for ages and thereby causing more pollution coz there are not enough spaces. And than if it is indeed a secure spot with a ground anchor and also an allocated spot so it is secure of damage so that not every idiot with their £200 scooter rams their pile of s#eit in any little gap available, damaging our bikes.

Reply to this Topic
reinier66

Jan 05

reinier66 says:

Why we need Boris

Well, now we can see what Boris promised, still no driving on the bus lane and now this.??? !!! Well done Major of London.:mad::shock::ph43r:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

Eh???..

Stuart is right there is a Westminster notice in Exhibition Road but isn’t that in Kensington & Chelsea? (Certainly that’s what the pay and display metres say!) Makes you wonder if “they” don’t know the boundary?? GV8

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

Not Boris’s turf

Not defending BoJo reinier(god no!) but this ‘aint anything really to do with Boris/TfL (who have very little parking on their network but that’s another story!) The individual boroughs tend to make their own decisions when it comes to parking so this is with Westminster. Agree with you about the Bus lanes though 3 months in and STILL no decision? GV8

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Parking bay charges launched today in Westminster

Greed shows it face in many forms and guises in this case Westminster council what they should have done is provided secure parking bays at a small fee and none secure bays for free that way you are only paying for the security of your bike and not for the parking. A motorcycle takes up very little space for parking so how they try to justify the fee is completely bogus. Had they simply made it that only secure parking spaces would be charged for I doubt anyone would be fussed may even applauded them for the action of provision of security, however as per usual Westminster council have done nothing more than show just what they are prepared to do in order to try to justify their huge pay packets. The best way too describe them are GREEDY DOGS. As for Boris if he can’t control Westminster council what is the point of his job, also as for his dithering on the bus lanes he seems to be showing his colours. Keep too your word Boris and let’s get real, these cycling orgs don’t represent cyclists motorcyclists and cyclists normally get on very well together, many cyclists ride motorcycles so stop dithering and do as you said you would do.

Reply to this Topic
Stuart Fordyce

Nov 03

Exhibition Road

Exhibition Road is in Westminster, not Kensington and Chelsea. There's a map on the Westminster Council website of their boundaries. On another note, I got a f-u-c-king ticket in a 'residents only' bay in K&C today after the bay had been changed from a normal bay, and there had been no notices up to inform of the change in space. On the continent you can park your bike pretty much where you like - how come the authorities in this country seem to like charging us for everything? When I graduate, I'm off!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices