Skip to content

Discuss This Westminster parking protest group formed Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Westminster parking protest group formed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Michael J Carroll

Feb 08

Westminster parking protest group formed

London motorcyclists are banding together to protest against the introduction of bike parking charges by Westminster City Council. The Westminster Motorcycle Charging Direct Action group is planning a go-slow ride on August 22, which would set off from Hyde Park Corner at 9am. Organiser Paul Amery has set up the group on social networking site Facebook. He says that the introduction...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (07 August 2008 09:47)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smartroad

Aug 07

smartroad says:

Devils advocate

Maybe I am being a little ignorant but isn't it a little elitist to think that we shouldn't have to pay for parking? Why should cars pay and not bikes?

Reply to this Topic
bladeboys69

Aug 02

bladeboys69 says:

Plus, plus

Personally I feel it would be better to encourage Westminster to follow up the parking with secure mounts for locking the bikes and for cctv on every bay I would happily pay the £150 for the annual pass as this is still by far the most efficient form of transport both time wise and financially and actually this a plus point that they are beginning to look at motorcycling seriously.

Reply to this Topic
shazhome

Aug 02

shazhome says:

maybe your wright??

I was just thinking the same, I know this money grabbing goverment with its stealth tax on everything from insurance policies to farting!! will always be looking for a fast hit wherever possible. But the point is a small charge for using these purpose made bays should be acceptable so long as the revenue goes back into the scheme somewhere along the way. As you say it seems unfair that motorists have to pay and bikes dont, but should cyclists also be expected to pay???

Reply to this Topic
AllyB1200

Jul 07

AllyB1200 says:

Parking

I don't go to London much but it is the thin end of the wedge. Once in London and soon it will be everywhere. Then the charges will rise..and rise...

Reply to this Topic
jas16

Mar 06

jas16 says:

tax

yeah right will the money raised be used back into motorcycle schemes, just look at the way that all of the other forms of taxes are being used, inc council tax, income tax, etc can't help but think that only rich people will survive in the future...ones that can actually afford the standard of living and enjoy themselves at the same time...sorry slightly offtopic there

Reply to this Topic
Animalzilla

Feb 08

Animalzilla says:

Parking Charges

When you can fit more than 1 car in a parking bay then it should me made free for cars to park. You can fit 4 or 5 bikes in a single car parking bay. (Depending on the size of the bike of course) We take up less space and we don't mind sharing our parking so I say do not charge us for parking, and lets encourage more motorcyclists to get on the road. Peterborough have designated parking bays for biks with barriers to lock your bike to: Cost= Free Salisbury have designated parking for bikes with ground anchors in each bay : Cost= Free These 2 places can do it for free, so can everyone else.

Reply to this Topic
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

Take on

Westminster Council.  It would be easier to invade a small country, enslave it's populous and rule as Divine King in a biker's paradise.:lol:

Once Westminster Council has hit on a money-making scheme they become an irresistable force.  I wish the lobbyists luck, as they'll need it.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Animalzilla

Feb 08

Animalzilla says:

Just A thought

I'm not a particularly smart person but..... It seems to me that the only reason they would want to inforce parking charges is to 1. pay the wages of the people inforcing it. 2. pay for the initial capital outlay of just over 900K 3. Improve on other areas of parking. Right so... We pay our taxes so that we can have things like benches, parking slots, flowers and the such like so why would we have to pay to have new parking bays when we have already paid for them. Why should we foot the bill of the people's wages inforcing the parking when we don't want them to be inforcing it in the first place? Surely this is OUR choice as civilians? My council tax should pay for everything I need in the community. Shcool, hospital, flowers, benches, swimming pool and parking spaces. So why sould I be charged again for something which has already come out of my taxes? Incidently I don't live in Westminster but it angers me

Reply to this Topic
johnspe11er

Feb 04

johnspe11er says:

Devils advocate

I don't feel your argument holds water when put into the context of other ways of traveling to work.
When a commuter exits from a tube station on their way to work they are using facilities provided by Westminster Council: pedestrian lights, pavements, waste bins. All these are provided for the convenience and security of pedestrians. So do you consider them elitist to think they shouldn't have to pay for these facilities. Cyclists have cycle lanes created for them which must cost more to provide than a few extra bike bays and security locks. A more positive and enlightened argument would be to consider why cars had to pay for parking when motorcyclists didn't. We all contribute to Westminster's economy by visiting the city every day so let's all try to stand united against this unnecessary toll and work for a major reduction or abolition of charges once the initial investment of £958,000 has been repaid in 18 months time.
There's more revealing info on Westminster's proposals at: http://www.westminster.gov.uk/transportandstreets/parking/wheretopark/vehicletype/motorcycle/motorcycle-parking-future-plans.cfm
and
Motorcycle Paper v18 - Cabinet Member - FINAL SENT.doc available at:
http://www3.westminster.gov.uk/committee/index.cfm?c_docs=Cabinet%20Member%20Decisions/Current/Economic_Development_and_Transport/2006/
55-Motorcycle_Parking_Strategy

Reply to this Topic
Jouboy

Aug 08

Jouboy says:

No to Bike Parking Charges

Any biker who thinks that there is the smallest justification for this charge, or conversely does NOT care about it because it does not affect them is being extraordinarily naive. Should Westminster receive minimal flak, and, as is generally the norm in this Country, a "Roll-over & accept it" attitude, this "ONLY £1.50 a day" charge will be yanked up to £5 per day. Similarly, if any biker thinks that ALL the other Councils aren't watching what happens in Westminster, awaiting to see when best to adopt a similar scheme, they are being equally stupid. DON'T YOU GUYS REMEMBER THE CONGESTION CHARGE? - justified as being and END to congestion and that it would raise £200 million for the Tube system. What a load of guff that was!!!!! Not only did it not pay for itself due mainly to the exorbitant salaries being pocketed by those running it, within months it was up to £8 from the original £5. Does anyone really think this will NOT happen with this charging? And just like the congestion charge, only took 12 months for every other major town to announce that they were considering similar congestion charge schemes. For goodness sake you lot!! get a grip - stop dissecting the pros & cons of what is blatant profiteering from the RICHEST borough in the Country. GET OUT THERE AND DEMONSTRATE How? Check out Paul Amery's campaign on Facebook!! If we don't act soon and show Westmonster Council that Bikers are not to be messed with, the floodgates will open. MARK MY WORDS

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices