Skip to content

Discuss This Boris Johnson demands bus lanes be opened to motorcycles Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Boris Johnson demands bus lanes be opened to motorcycles

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Michael J Carroll

Feb 08

Boris Johnson demands bus lanes be opened to motorcycles

London Mayor Boris Johnson has instructed Transport for London (TfL) to ensure that motorcycles are allowed to use the capital’s bus lanes before the end of the year. Sign our petition to open bus lanes to motorcycles Johnson issued the instruction as part of a series of measures he wants to see introduced to cut congestion in the city, after a TfL...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (07 August 2008 11:16)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Well done

Well Done Boris for sticking to your guns :-D

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

setting aside

demanding from something you're in charge of! :biggrin:

The TfL press release actually says

The Mayor has asked TfL to bring forward plans to allow motorbikes to ride in bus lanes, and expects the first lanes to open later this year. which is a subtle but important difference

GV8

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bladeboys69

Aug 02

bladeboys69 says:

Lets see

I will happily congradulate Mr Johnson once this been achieved and equally give him the respect that he deserves at that point.

Reply to this Topic
B.L.ZEE.BUB

Aug 08

B.L.ZEE.BUB says:

BUS LANES

A POLITICIAN KEEPING TO HIS WORD ! A VERY SMALL CLUB INDEED, BUT MUCH RESPECT IS DUE! WELL DONE BORIS!

Reply to this Topic
Stuart Fordyce

Nov 03

Keep at them Boris

Good stuff if it comes through. It will be interesting to see if the communists running certain boroughs (Hackney and Lewisham if I recall correctly) who've already said they'll oppose this as it's bad for cycling. Time to show them who is in charge Boris. Once you've done this, time to get rid of parking charges too!

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

Don’t want to shatter anybody’s illusions here

But Boris’s powers (such as they are) are very limited and he can only make this happen on his (TfL’s) network. So don’t be surprised if London Borough’s (who are in charge of the bulk of the "london" network) don’t follow suit

Not unless we get organised (something the cyclists are VERY good at) and ask for it!

GV8

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Stuart Fordyce

Nov 03

Red Routes

Red routes seem to be where most of the bus lanes are - are these TFL or Borough controlled? Anyway, TFL administers buses and taxis...so surely they can tell the boroughs what to do?

Reply to this Topic
AllyB1200

Jul 07

AllyB1200 says:

Bus Lanes

If London does allow Bikes is Bus Lanes we must get this throughout the country, if not I can see lots of confussion. I think I will just start using them all and be dammed.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Lets show 'em...

...wrong they were, the cyclists, and other councils by behaving impeccably in the bus lanes, and pray some moron doesn't wheelie down the road spoiling it for the rest of us.

Reply to this Topic
99flynns01

Apr 08

99flynns01 says:

Bristol bus lanes

I'm a student in London, but also ride regularly is Bristol, where motorcycles are already permitted in bus lanes and I can quite frankly say that its a fantastic idea. When I ride from Surbiton to central, its a constant stress, worrying about brain dead drivers in there tin boxes pulling out in front of me, or opening a door to empty the remainders of their latte, resulting in a ball crushing braking maneuver !!! but in Bristol all that worry is taken away, so you can just (as nick sanders says) enjoy the ride. I agree with evilamnesiac and hope that no irresponsible riders give the cycling lobby groups ammo in which to win this debate.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices