Skip to content

Discuss This Bike oil rip off? Consumer news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Consumer news > Bike oil rip off?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

jonmgoo

Jun 07

jonmgoo says:

Bike oil rip off?

I often wonder why bike oil is more expensive than car oil? We as bikers often pay a premium for our oil in comparison with car oil. What is the difference between synthetic bike oil & synthetic car oil? If you walk into any bike dealers & ask for a type of oil that they would recomend, they will always...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (11 August 2008 13:41)

Post a message in Consumer news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kuryakin

Aug 08

kuryakin says:

It is a rip off

Bike oil is a rip off and is designed to appeal to our sense of getting some perceived performance improvement. Like oil additives, its just not true. High performance car engines are well protected by off the shelf regular oils so why not bikes? Rev's mean nothing engine load and temperature break down oil integrity. I'm sure a turbo Scania engine pulling 40 tonne for hundreds of miles suffers more load than a free revving modern bike. Detergents are designed to clean the internal, they do not make bike clutches slip, inappropriate use of oil additives will though.

Reply to this Topic
bmcwi

Jun 04

bmcwi says:

BMWs

GTRmick check if your Beemer has a dry clutch, like my K75S did. Bikes with dry clutches need not use Bike specific oil, as the oil doesn't lube the clutch. I do know of people who've tried car oil and had clutch slip on wet-clutch bikes. Personally, I use Hein Gericke's basic 10-40 4L for £13.99 oil. That's good value. I laughed when Yamaha brought out their Yamalube range. How much?!! LOL no chance. There's people spouting on about getting what you pay for with oil, but how does anyone know what the basic product costs to produce versus its retail price? For all I know HG make £2 on their cheapest oil versus £10 for the £25 Motul stuff. Altho they still do their free oil & air filter deal with Motul, thats an easy tenners worth too....

Reply to this Topic
sander6san

Sep 08

sander6san says:

Oil

After putting high-performance Oil in of an american manufacturer, my VFR Vtec, which I use for commuting, became about 10% more fuel efficient. Is this possible? I have heard 1% to 2% when switching from one grade to another. Anyway, it is back from a service (not done at Honda), so back to "ordinary" Oil. Let's see if there is any effect. I will await the proposed study from MCN.

Reply to this Topic
DaveDragon

Sep 08

DaveDragon says:

Bike oil rip off?

The Marketing Machine makes us want the best of what ever we need, and often the only real difference is the price we're willing to pay for a "premium" or "purpose specific" products.

Any high-end oil will do, just be cognizant of wet/dry clutch applications.

-Dave

Reply to this Topic
jonmgoo

Jun 07

jonmgoo says:

MCN

I have contacted MCN about doing a proper study but ive heard nothing from them!! I wonder if MCN are afraid of upsetting some of their advertisers??? If that turns out to be the case, then who do MCN value more? their readers? or their advertisers?? If you feel that bikers are being ripped off or if you simply want to know the truth, then contact MCN (email or phone)& ask them to persue this subject.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices