Skip to content

Discuss This Damage done to biking by excessive speeders Politics & the law

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > Politics & the law > Damage done to biking by excessive speeders

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

Damage done to biking by excessive speeders

Anyone heard this? A speeding biker from Whitstable has been disqualified from riding and driving a vehicle for two years after riding at 146mph – the highest speed recorded by a mobile safety camera in Kent & Medway. Is it any wonder some of us feel persecuted by the Government & Police when there are riders out there who do this? The...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 7 years ago (11 August 2008 15:07)

Post a message in Politics & the law

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
noel13

Aug 08

noel13 says:

Speed Speed Speed

Why is it if a speeding motorcycle is headlined there is automatically cries for blood! Last night the news headlined a motorcyclist being sentenced to 15 months for doing 130MPH. There are a 100 and 1 additional factors to take into account - not least of which is the fact that a modern sports motorcycle will come from 130MPH to a halt in roughly the same distance/time it takes a car doing 80 - but that aside does being a speeding motorcyclist rate in the publics' eye as compatible with the dregs of society. Surely it is time to stand up and defend ourselves. The IOM police have no problem with allowing road users to use their descretion in designated areas of the island, yet in UK 70MPH is the limit of our capabilities - how come? What's worse is those who show "resposnibility" by selecting to do their riding at times when others are rarely out of their beds still fall foul and make the headlines regardless. A motorcyclist doing 145 on an empty road at 6am with 100% visibility is hardly a threat to others (considering there actually are no others to threat.) An act of maturity by the law makers would be to introduce a "high speed effeciency" license. In the sameway as trained police officers are allowed to use excessive speed in suitable conditions, why not introduce a license which acurately reflects the skill level and judgement of the holder. That wouldn't be carte blanch to speed but it would also eliminate some of the ridiculous accusations of endangering other road users in circumstances where the rider is alone... It would also bring those to their senses who think they're awesome but totally aren't!

Reply to this Topic
Animalzilla

Feb 08

Animalzilla says:

Speeding License

Noel13, what a brilliant idea! A license that allows you to speed, after the approprate training cours. Would solve all the bikers problems about speeding. you would have to attend a course and prove you're responsible to travel at those speeds.

Reply to this Topic
nigeleaton

Jun 04

nigeleaton says:

Good points

You make some good points this time, your previous post I took as more of a rant.

The problems we face are typical of our own apathy, we generally just shrug our shoulders and moan when the French would be blockading ports and burning ministry buildings, but if someone who is anti-biking were to read the comments on this forum what opinion would they be left with??

I agree with a number of comments that it's not speed that kills, in most cases it's the over confidence of the rider/driver that kills.

Please remember that it's not just bikers who read biker forums.

Reply to this Topic
russo79

Aug 08

russo79 says:

noel13

Surely a better idea than trying to appease the general public. As a reflection of the extent of brainwashing/intelligence of the general public you surely need look no further than to see what the public have chosen to watch on TV! (Big Brother, Corrie etc..!) At the moment we can all lose our livelyhoods, houses, freedom and wives (I doubt mine would hang about if I lost my job so it wouldn't be all bad?!) for doing double the speed limit. If we are skilled enough and select the right times and places then we all know that you can do 100+ without causing undue danger to anyone else but we need to find a way of educating the law makers and enforcers that this is the case. Stand in front of a majistrate at the moment and he'll send you down, with full approval of the public and retire for a game of golf content with the notion that he's just sentenced a thougtless killer in waiting.

Reply to this Topic
Animalzilla

Feb 08

Animalzilla says:

Rant

I was having a little rant I must admit. I did actually say Rant Over at the end but thats by the by.

And I wish more people who are not bikers would read these forums, it might give them a little insight in to our issues with other road users, and not only that, they could express their issues with us. I think if that was to happen, the different road user groups might actually get along a little better.

Like I said before, and like you have said nigeleaton We just shrug our shoulders and carry on as normal. the british people have no balls, and thats a sad fact.

I know we have the BMF and other such road groups trying to cover our backs when it comes to polotics and the law but there is never any direct action, no one seems to do anything about the struggles we face as road users ( Cars also ) so... that said, I am in the process of creating a direct action group for bikers on the internet. Of course, all road users would be welcome to join. Demonstrations and the such like... NO Violence!! somewhere people can feel that they are making a difference instead of just moaning and complaining to their mates about the injustice in the world.  Please for anyone reading this, Do not think that just because it's going to be a Direct Action Group, that it means we're going to burn down buildings! coz that's not what it will be about

I'll put the question on MCN and see what response I get and a little research in to the feasability of the idea.

What are your thoughts?

Reply to this Topic
russo79

Aug 08

russo79 says:

I'll join

I've got some matches and a little petrol - although its quite expensive at the moment so we might not be able to burn many things...! Seriously though, I know a few people that would definitely join.

Reply to this Topic
nigeleaton

Jun 04

nigeleaton says:

Now you're talking

I'm right with you on this Animalzilla, car drivers are not the enemy, in fact I guess the majority of us own and drive a car. What we don't realise is that together we are an enormous block vote and it's about time the BMF and MAG made their voices as loud as those of the HEALTH & Safety Gestapo or even the Rambler's association!

Reply to this Topic
Animalzilla

Feb 08

Animalzilla says:

Buring things

russo79  Haha, yeah well, that's why we wont burn anything, too dammed expensive.

nigeleaton  they do try but I guess they're a little passive when it comes to making their point. From what I understand, they sit at a table and talk about things while representing the biking community. What they need to do is get everyone who support them on the road and protesting at those things that matter. Get car groups invlved and have a bun fight to iron out our issues and come up with a workable soloution.

I'm having to fund my Group on my own so please allow time for anything to come from this, I'm not the best web designer, and it will take me a while.

If anyone would like to offer web design support and/or webspace, please let me know.

Reply to this Topic
Yellowninja600

Nov 07

Bullshit...

Now I very well might be disqualified from driving for 3 months or 6 months. No longer! Guess who pays for the prosecution and then guess who pays for the defence??? Guess who pays for the ar*ehole who decides whether I am guilty or not... Yes, the taxpayer! I am one of those people. I find it truly outrageous but it seems to be the way. Had I USED the taxpayer when I received my year ban I would have had my dangerous driving charge REDUCED to careless driving at which point I would have had the lawyer give some favourable reasons and I would've received upto 9 penalty points, a fine and a kick in the bum. I decided to represent myself which cost the taxpayer for the prosecution. The prosecution involved two lying police officers, a prosecution lawyer and then there is the judge and the other court officials... I obviously LOST as a mere mortal isn't allowed to win. I caught both Police officers out with my questioning and proved both to be liars not only in my mind but in my parents minds who disbelieved my side of the story! That day I didn't lose anything. I won! Speeding is not a problem in Britain BUT it is a jolly good money maker for the short sighted Labour government who WILL be gone at the next election. I only hope that the rest of the wheel is replaced also... Who want's a go at me??? I have covered more miles in the last 7 years than most cover in two lifetimes...

Reply to this Topic
puck67

Nov 07

puck67 says:

errr...

what will the direct action group do ? thoughts please ?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices