Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

Helmets

hey peeps,

i was looking at the sharp test and my hjc cs-12 only got 2 out of 5 stars so i was going to start looking for a new lid but then i have read and heard from people that it doesnt really stand for much sharp test because manufacturers just build them to score well in test as its set points on helmet etc.

So now i am utterly confused about helmets and so on, just wondered what other people thought and advice lol

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 6 years ago (13 August 2008 13:21)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
R100R

Jun 07

R100R says:

I too

is confused.  Shoei and Arai now don't seem to support the test but, then, some of their lids didn't do that well.  I think there is validity in the test, but wouldn't desert a brand with a good name because of it.  I think I'd use it to see which cheaper helmets did well but, personally, it'll take a lot to make me buy a lid that isn't Shoei.

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

hjc

what about my hjc lid that okay :p

Reply to this Topic
pistonhead

Aug 08

pistonhead says:

Helmets

I'm a new biker and looking for a helmet and considering that there is so much choice out there is all seems to be a bit of a mine field.

I've been reading into the SHARP a bit from stuff on the internet and magazines.  To reply to your point about building them to score high I think i'm right in saying that they test the helmets to see if they have been built up in specific areas in order to score high which will affect the scores if this is the case.  On the other hand if it is built up more is this a bad thing?

Another really important point is the fitment of the helmet, if this is wrong/bad then it doesnt matter how high the score is.

At the end of the day it's protecting your head so you want it to be as best as possible and I've read that some of the manufactures are rubbishing the testing methods and I think you need to read in between the lines a bit at that.  Is wearing a higher scoring helmet going to make you feel safer/ride faster/take risks on the road as if so this might be worth taking into consideration too.

In choosing my helmet i'm going to be looking good fiting mid to high scoring helmet that is reasonably priced.  Remember that they are 22-05 approved and I think you've covered all the bases.

Reply to this Topic
Sabrinus Hic

Jul 08

Sabrinus Hic says:

Helmet quality

ACU approved is a first step, gold standard etc. so at least they are race approved so a higher spec than just street legal.

A lot of other things that add to the price of the helmet, and not necessarily saftey are the added cost of types of lining, vents, nose guard, then the fashion of the month, paint job etc so it is hard.

I would always get a carbon Fibre / Kevlar helmet, not the pastic molded type, you can see those normally by a light line going around the middle of the helmet.

My summer helmet is a boxer with a flip up chin guard that is excellent, and my winter helmet is a Caberg flip front, (flip down tinted internal visor) or the Bieffe, very high quality, good price and very confortable.

I guess its down to personal choice at the end of the day.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
carbonni

Jul 08

carbonni says:

My lid

I have just bought an Arai Condor (£170 from J&S) going on the reviews I found on the net and by trying a few different lids on in the shop to see which 'felt' right.

I have been around bikes for years and have always been told to go with what feels best and to spend as much as I can afford, (same rules apply with shoes) BUT, this lid has only scored 2 stars in the SHARP test. Am I bothered?.......Not at all, I trust in the manufacturer to provide a quality product and can honestly say it's one of the most comfy lids I've tried on without spending serious amounts of money and have every confidence in it doing a proper job should I ever need to 'use' it.

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

rst

i was looking at the rst cobra vent which is a fibrglass construction 22-05 and acu  and also scored 4/5 on the sharp test.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

are arais safe??

I bought an arai several years ago and used it for 3 years but changed for a Shark as they were more aerodynamic and quieter. This recent sharp test has made me think again in view of the two following incidents.
I had a friend at a track day who managed to fall off his bike at about 60 mph his Arai helmet was barely scratched he didnt hit any wall or anything solid but he suffered a fractured skull! The helmet fitted so tightly that it transferred the energy of the knock directly to the head.
Having watched the recent accident with poor Craig Jones, when he fell off he was only doing about 20 mph slower than than the following rider, who collected him with the side of the bike and footrest, without knowing the full extent of his head injuries it again would appear that the shock was transmitted to the head as there were no apparent holes in the helmet.
If this is indeed the case then the sharp test should also include a test with an accelerometer. Shark have a different theory on how to protect the head, their padding is soft and allows the head to move considerably before fetching up against the styrofoam thereby reducing the transfer of energy. Arais padding is far thinner and relies on the head being protected by the more solid styrofoam.
Food for thought?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Fit

The safest helmet is one that FITS PROPERLY. Sharp cannot take this into account.

IMO a 5 star lid that is far too big for your head is going to offer less protection than a 2 star lid that fits perfectly. Also, the lid needs to break in to your head shape, and NOT be worn by anyone else.

Although I agree with what they're doing, there's more to it than the sharp test.

Reply to this Topic
carbonni

Jul 08

carbonni says:

The focus seems to be on Arai..

is there a reason for this?

Reading what the above posts say is a little concerning although no other manufacturers are mentioned in any other incidents where the rider was injured or killed through any form of head trauma, surely it's not just Arai users that get hurt?:unsure:

At very least, I'm sure I'm better protected with my cheapish Arai than some of the bikers in other parts of the world with no lid.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

also worth noting

This weekend another rider was badly injured at cadwell park in a mirror accident of craig jones, I truly hope he pulls through , but the helmet again was an Arai. Whether the manufacturers want to rubbish the sharp tests is up to them, but there is no doubt that we, the buying public,  need an independent assesment of helmet integrity/protection so that we know what protection we can expect for our money One simply cannot believe the manufacturers otherwise we would all believe that volvo's are the safest cars and that Tide washes your clothes cleanest.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle